90 per cent of violent acts against homosexuals are perpetrated by other homosexuals?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KyleD, May 26, 2014.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey guys, is there any truth to the statistic that 90 per cent of violent acts against homosexuals are perpetrated by other homosexuals?

That's what my mom read in a newspaper. Is this factual or anti gay propaganda?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: 90 per cent of violent acts against homosexuals are perpetrated by other homosexu

I can't imagine how that could be possible.

Not that it's the issue anyway. Violence happens anyway. You could say most violence against black people is done BY black people. That doesn't make racially charged violence any less of an issue, and the same is true here.

Even if we accepted than most violence against gay people happens BY gay people, it doesn't change the fact that homophobic violence happens and is a serious problem.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: 90 per cent of violent acts against homosexuals are perpetrated by other homosexu

No, I would say, a priori, it's not true. I'll look it up, but just looking at news sources on anti-queer violence, there doesn't seem to be any indication that the perpetrators are also queer.

Although it is true that multisexual women are at the most risk hands down for sexual assault. Without research, I would argue that this is almost certainly because of rampant and dysfunctional male notions of sexual entitlement, together with the ugly secret that rape does exist in the lesbian community.

4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Neither can I but I saw this statistic in my country's most popular newspaper (mark you, my country is very homophobic.)

Great point!

Another great point! You're so smart. I wish I had your critical thinking skills.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 12:55 PM ----------

Then where did they come up with that 90 percent figure then? I find it horrible that they would make it up but I wouldn't be too surprised.

I don't understand. Can you expound on this?

5. Hyaline

I know this is a serious topic, but the quirky inappropriate sense of humor wants to tell the gay bashers that at least 90% of them are gay.

I don't think these stats are even close to being true...

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I doubt it.

7. 7eye

7eye Guest

I reckon it's some conspiracy that's been made up by religious fundamentalists

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

That doesn't sound right at all.

Don't always listen to the newspaper. Just the other day my mom read an article that said there was "proof" gay marriage/parenting was harmful because 'statistics' showed gay parents are more likely to molest their kids.

9. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all

As for th post about multisexual women being qt the most risk for violence, I believe Pret Allez meant that we live in a very patriarchal society. I'm not saying that all men think women need to stay in the kitchen, but patriarchal undertones still exist in many ordinary things. And there ARE some men who believe women need to be subjugated. If a woman rejected a man because she is more interested in a woman than that man, bisexual or lesbian, some men will feel like she has no right to reject him and will take what they want by force.

As for lesbian rape, you don't need a penis to rape someone. Almost all acts of rape are displays of power by the rapist. The desire for blatant power over another person is not restricted to men. There are women who will rape other women or sexually harass them for that power rush, or for other less common reasons.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 07:13 PM ----------

And the 90% figure? The 'researchers' probably only sampled a small area, or did something else to potentially bias the results. The results from a nation-wide survey will typically be extremely different from a survey of one community.

10. MissMook

I'm not sure what source that came from, but that just sounds absurd. For what reasons would there be that much violence against homosexuals inflicted by other homosexuals. That's saying supposedly the violence inflicted by heterosexuals is only at a mere 10%. I can't even think of any long-term factors to correlate with that "statistic."

11. AKTodd

I did some checking. The 'source' is a column (which makes it only slightly less reliable than a letter to the editor) by someone writing for The Jamaca Observer. The column itself is basically a rant against gay people and the supposed 'gay agenda'. It provides no references, no citations, no nothing in regards to where the writer is getting this number from. Given the obvious bias of the rest of the column, I'd say we're safe in thinking the author just made the number up and is basically full of shit.

Even if the column author had included any kind of reference, these sort of things are usually the product of either some bogus conservative think tank 'study' (which conveniently always comes up with results the conservative funding it want) or playing games with the results of some legitimate study by cherry picking the results or only reporting part of the results out of context.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about it.

Todd

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Jamaica is one of the most homophobic countries in the Caribbean...'nuff said.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Ironically, the writer is a well respected journalist here. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

---------- Post added 27th May 2014 at 12:11 PM ----------

That's true but I think things are kind of changing for the better at least I hope. There's a long way to go though.

#13 KyleD, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes, that is true. Didn't you know that when someone beats someone up, police sit both parties down and ask their sexual orientations? Then the information is entered into a global database, that calculates how many homo/hetero/bi/a/pan-sexuals attack homo/hetero/bi/pan/a-sexuals. It's a very important piece of information.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

People don't rape for sex, they do it for violence, and to inflict suffering. Sounds like a made up statistic.