Self-harm, Suicide, and Periods

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ash93, May 25, 2014.

1. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like mine has gotten worse. Over the past few months the more I've grown to hate my period, the worse my cramps have gotten. I have a heavier flow, and the week before my period is usually hell because I'm dreading the appearance of it. I think the dysphoria has a huge impact. For me at least.

2. anonym

anonym Guest

Mine has definitely got worse and I was wondering if it was a physical thing I should get checked out by a doctor or whether it's just dysphoria contributing to the problem. I also get cramps, definitely period cramps and not the type you get with diarrhea when I exercise and it can be any week of the month. I thought it could mean something's up :-/ But really really don't want to have to go and get checked out by a doctor for female related issues.

3. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been having regularity issues too and don't want it checked out for the same reason. But if this goes on I think I eventually would have to.
    Shit.:bang:

4. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the one hand, I can see why you should go to the doctor and get that checked out. But on the other hand, I totally understand the reluctance to have female issues discussed with a doctor. I'm forcing myself to go to planned parenthood this week so I can get some birth control to help keep my period under control. I don't want to go through another cycle as bad as this one.

5. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I especially hate the entire atmosphere of the ob-gyn department. Pink and flowery and babies and cross sections of things I should not have been born with.
    And they think that getting a [word redacted] is something to fucking celebrate. Like, all the "oh wow congrats you're becoming a woman"

6. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were I cis I would still hate having a period. It is painful, it is emotional, and it is shamed by society. Not only do I hate having to take care of myself during that week, I hate feeling embarrassed when I have to go get pads or tampons, and I especially hate how other people shame me for having a simple bodily process. I hate that I have to get up and deal with cramps and bloating and pain. I hate that people assume having a period makes you woman because IT DOESN'T. I really hate periods in general. Mother Nature should just give me a letter in the mail.

Dear Andrew,

I just want to let you know you're not pregnant. Have a fantastic day dear!

Sincerely,
    Mother Nature

7. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my. Killed me.
    But, yeah, it'd be fucking awesome if it were the case.

8. anonym

anonym Guest

Even amongst women, I have never found it acceptable to discuss periods. It's like it's something to be ashamed of than the normal bodily function that it is. People don't shy away from saying they have diarrhea but periods. They're just this secret thing that everybody knows happen but pretend they don't. I mean the amount of blood as well is shocking. I can't imagine our ancient ancestors pre-clothing/sanitary products would have walked about the place leaking that amount of blood. I mean when a dog's on heat it's just a few drips of blood but a period. It's like there has been a murder in the toilet.

9. ConfusedAtHeart

I can tell you when you're mentally upset, your body reacts to it. It is very possible the dysphoria is making it worse. I got violently sick think of going on an airplane. I was not going on an airplane. I won't be for a long time. How many anti inflammatory are you taking? Since they relax the muscles in the body it could be a reason you get diarrhea. Feeling sick is probably from nerves or anxiety. Find a way to calm yourself down. The shivers could root from the heavy blood loss. Some people have it so bad they need to get the organs removed. Are you allergic to any pills? If your period is really bad you may want to speak to a doctor to see if there is something they can do.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

I take ibuprofen but I don't think it's related to the diarrhea because I'll get that whether I've taken ibuprofen or not. The sickness could be anxiety but I don't know what the shivers are. I never used to get that until I started getting really dysphoric over the shark attacks.

I know I advise people to take birth control pills but that's a bit hypocritical because I won't resort to that myself. I don't like the idea of taking them everyday and the potential side effects for the sake of 1 week a month when the other 3 weeks I'm more or less fine. I don't know why I continue to put myself through it when there is a solution. Actually, I think years back when I tried a few oral contraceptives, they didn't agree with me. They made my periods worse and made me feel shitty all month rather than just the one week. Plus it coincided with a blood test that showed up it was messing up my liver :-/ meh I will just have to keep fighting the sharks until I get on hormones.

11. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I take ibuprofen and Tylenol and I'm still in pain and miserable. I'm at planned parenthood now looking to get some help or medication or something. Anything to help really.