1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys and Gals... Do you know how to tie ties?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, May 21, 2014.

?

Do you know how to tie a tie?

1. Yes

75.7%
  2. No

24.3%
  1. setnyx

i can tie a regular tie on someone else but not on myself. good thing i'm not a tie kind of guy.

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Nope. I always use a youtube video right before I need to wear one.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I hate ties. (At least on me) They feel so uncomfortable, like I'm choking. I avoid situations where one has to wear ties, and, if I find myself in one, I have to have my mate put my tie on for me. I never plan to learn, as I don't believe one should ever 'have' to wear one of these stuffy old things.

4. sugarcubeigloo

Yup! 12 years of catholic school made it necessary to me to learn this skill. :lol:

5. TinyBee

yup! i can only do it the standard way, though. i've tried to learn how to do an eldridge knot.. but, alas, it is too difficult and i am too lazy.

6. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad taught me to tie a half Windsor when I was 10 and somewhere along the line I also learned to tie a bow tie. My older brother kept forgetting how to tie his ties for formal events and my dad had to do it for him... until one day he told my brother to "ask your sister; she knows how". That was the last time he asked for help.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chances are it's the collar that's too small if you or anyone feels choked. Unless you really crank it tight, the tie just sort of sits there. The top button is what really restrains you.

8. AlamoCity

True. The size of a shirt's collar should be the measurement around your neck, plus an extra half-inch or so. So, if you measure your neck to be 15 inches, you should buy a size 15 1/2 shirt. If that's still too tight, put two fingers on your neck and measure around your neck and over the fingers and use that as the measurement, to ensure a good fit that's comfortable.

If the dress shirt comes in sizes S/M/L/XL, well, it ain't a proper dress shirt. :lol:

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Preach. :lol:

I think the reason most people hate suits is that they've never had a well-fitting one, and usually have also only had bad materials.

10. PurpleGrey

I can only do a four in hand, or at least, I think it's a four in hand. I learned by vaguely remembering an episode of Spongebob, and that helped me at least look like I can do a tie. I want to do a full Windsor, but I'm so clumsy even the maybe four in hand takes a few tries every time. :slight_smile:

11. Hexagon

Like this, right?
    [​IMG]

12. Eric

I learned a couple of ways when I was 10 and they stuck with me. I like ties just fine, but I never really get the chance to wear them. I'd probably hate them if I had to wear them on a daily basis though.

13. NoaWinchester

I know one way from a YouTube video. Might have to watch the beginning of it again to refresh my memory because I don't wear ties daily, but I'll figure it out quickly.