1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it amuse you when people assume you're straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 18, 2014.

1. pianokeysry91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish it didn't even come up more than I find it amusing...but I guess the odds are, if you pick a person randomly out of a room they are probably straight. However, It DOES amuse me how much "Straight guys" crack distasteful gay jokes around me/each other--borderline obsession. Not entirely sure I've ever hung out with someone where sexuality didn't come up at least once as a joke...Little do they know...

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or when straight people assume you're trying to make a move on them because you're attracted to their gender. Pfft, happens too much.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a teacher whom- bless her heart -if I were to tell her that I am gay, find men attractive, and like dick all in one sentence, I don't think she would realize what I meant. She's nice though, so it's cool.

4. pianokeysry91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd imagine it's the same way when you come out to people of the same sex too who are friends. Like you are trying to "tell them" something...then explain, "oh but I'm no attracted to you...no offense"....though, to be honest, I wouldn't know...just a guess!

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    If anyone were to assume I'm attracted to them because of their gender I would just tell them they're not my type.

6. mangotree

I always remember talking to one of my work mates just after I broke up with my ex.
    She asked why I was looking so tired and down at the moment, and I said "I broke up with my partner, Matt, on the weekend". She said "I didn't even know you were in a relationship, what's Matt short for, Matilda?" ...
    <insert short awkward silence>
    "No, Matthew... "
    <work mate blinks for a few seconds, comprehension dawning>
    (not exact quotes but it was something like that)

So, yeah it is usually pretty funny :slight_smile:

7. Ohhai

Oh yeah, it seriously makes my day, especially when you can play games with them.
    At uni the other week, I was having problems, and was considering taking a year out. I was talking to my year head, and she was being all friendly, having a chat, and she was like 'Rhiannon, do you have a boyfriend?' Me; Nope. Her: Why not? Me; I don't think my girlfriend would like it very much. *Queue shocked look on her face* :lol:

8. JessicaWolfess

I don't care if someone I don't know/haven't come out to assumes I'm straight. I assume everyone's straight unless their obviously gay (And no I don't mean looks, I mean on gay related sites like this). But if they know I only like guys and they try to change me or hate me for my sexuality or tell me "Oh this guy I know is gay, you'd make the cutest couple" I pretty much distance myself from them as much as possible

9. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    :roflmao: I can't wait until I can say stuff like that.

10. sugarcubeigloo

Usually disappointed. Sometimes relieved. And every one in a while, amused.

11. kaatkid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. Although I don't really make it apparent that I'm queer, which I'm not even sure how I would do that, it does bother me when people assume that I'm straight. Strangely, this has only been a recent concern. Maybe it's just become a thing as I've become more aware about queer/LGBTQ+ issues. But either way, it just bothers me when people do that because it makes me feel like my identity isn't normal, unless I try to make it so by explicitly stating that I'm queer. Idk that's just how I feel.

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is what I expect them to assume, since I live as a straight person lives 99.9% of the time. What does amuse me is how many people blither through life thinking that what THEY are is "normal", and what others are is "abnormal", without ever bothering to check in with the reality that "normal" encompasses a wide range of variations in sexuality which are found in hundreds of millions of people. I am amused that they can be so ignorant and still function.

13. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It mostly annoys me.
    I love skirts, dresses and lipstick and so I am assumed to be straight.
    Which is fine, but since I am very open about my sexuality, I sometimes get the: " But you don't look gay!" remark several times a day when meeting new people.
    Even worse it's usually followed by : " Don't you think you might be bi?"
    Because obviously if I were a REAL lesbian, I'd dress like a lumberjack, duh.:rolle:

14. Perseus

There's this girl in the grade below and somehow she still thinks I'm straight. She has a massive crush on me and I've been debating about whether I should tell her or not. Everyone at school knows except her. She must be out of her mind since she calls me boyfriend and all that even though we're not dating :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lols

15. African boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im so flamboyant no one will ever think im straight again

16. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually I find it quite inconvenient. People always assume I'm straight and it makes stuff like dating hard.

Today at work I actually found it amusing as hell. I work in a chicken plant and my area was short staffed so they brought a bunch of people from the front of the line (trust me the front of a line in a chicken plant and the pack out area are two completely different worlds). Anyway, I was doing busy work while waiting on the line to change product and one of my friends from work was talking to me. He looked at me and said "I'm not pointing fingers but some of these guys from the front are kinda feminine". I knew who he was referring to because the dude was working with me and was gorgeous (and didn't come off feminine to me). I couldn't help myself from laughing every time I looked at my friend. Finally after him asking why I was laughing several times (at first I wouldn't tell him) I let him in on the fact he had came to a gay guy to complain about a guy being feminine. Just the irony got to me.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think it's kind of funny, but because I'm bisexual it usually works out to make sense either way. But sometimes people will say things to me like "Would you rather be gay or X" or "us straight guys". It doesn't happen often because I'm far to quirky to appear straight. I like to use gender neutral pronouns in place of male or female ones as often as possible. You can never know if the person you are talking to is gay, or transgendered and not transitioned and really hates being called a woman/man. It's safer not to make any assumptions and just use words like "They" "them" and "theirs"

18. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HAHA, plenty of times!
    sometimes i talk about women just for the heck of it, until i say that i'm gay

19. EyesNeverLie

I find it quite amusing. The look on their faces when I tell them I'm a lesbian is priceless. They are usually shocked because it society's eyes I look straight. But it can be frustrating at times when some people don't believe that I'm a lesbian just because I'm not masculine. People need to realize that not all lesbians are butch. Some are butch, some are in between and some are feminine. Same goes for gay men.