Does it amuse you when people assume you're straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 18, 2014.

1. Laelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This. I think heterosexuality is the 'default' assumption. Shrug.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. Most people who don't know me well or meet me for the first time assume I'm straight and I have no problem with that. But when people who know me well and don't know that I'm gay assume I'm straight, I laugh a lot inside. The other night my roommate, his gf, and I went on this whole long joke about me trying to bang cougars...I was LOSING IT inside!

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

So stop trying to bang cougars and they'll get the hint!

J/k :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mother does that all the time, asking whether I like certain scantily-clad women on television and what my future wife would be like and whether she would up in their house (my parents' house) for some time.

I've so far avoided to correct the gender :slight_smile:

5. NoaWinchester

Exactly.

6. venuss

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I will get a bit annoyed sometimes 'cause I always think why you have to care about who I love or what my sexual orientation is. I dun have the courage to come out to my friends and family. That's why I have to act all the time, sharing with them about the guys I like. It's really hard tho. Showing a big smile to them, but bitter inside.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I hate it mainly when people just keep going on about my future husband or what guys I find hot. If someone doesn't know I'm not straight, It's not really their fault and I'll kindly correct them. But I get pissed off when they keep going at it, like they can't take a freaking hint!

Sometimes I'll joke around straight girls about asking them if they find a certain girl sexually attractive or when they think they'll get their first girlfriend, and they get so mad. That sort of helps them understand how it feels to feel pressured to date someone you don't like when they do it to me all the time!

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't amuse me, it annoys me a little bit actually as it forces me to reveal my sexuality at a time that's not of my choosing. Either that, or I maintain a pretence of being straight - something I will not do.

9. 741852963

I find it funny when people make daft assumptions based on stereotypes - and it makes for an enjoyable game crushing them! What can I say I like shaking things up a little! People see the world in a very two dimensional way (people rely way to much on social schemas and stereotypes), its a cool gift to be able to get them to open their eyes and see things differently for a change.

So on the gay issue? Meh, I don't mind having "alter-egos" or differences to how people see me, leaves me feeling very Clark-Kent ready to turn to Superman whenever I want! :grin:

Similarly because I'm quite mellow and wear glasses people tend to initially think I must be some straight-laced choir boy who only listens to classical music and christian rock. I love seeing their faces when they discover that actually my preference is for punk rock and rap. You can see their brains having to manually reset.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More annoying than amusing. Especially all the shipping people do.

11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care that some people assume I'm straight. There is no "gay look". Now, if people start to talk about my "future husband"... it can really piss me off.

12. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It does get quite annoying when people think I like a guy just because I talk to him. This is why I'm happy I'm not straight. It must get quite exhausting dealing with people constantly shipping you.

13. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

It actually annoys me, when people just assume a persons sexuality; based on bullshit reasoning. In some of the workplaces that I had a job at, my coworkers would start and have conversations, about "do I have a girlfriend", etc. I would always make it a habit to let them know I was Gay, because I am a directly honest person; but there were some that I didn't get the chance to tell, simply because I didn't get the opportunity to inform everyone.

14. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't bother me, because if they don't know, then its ok. But I wouldn't say amused. Now, if I was with somebody who knows Im gay and another person talks about me being straight... that sounds hilarious.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since I'm in the closet, most people assume I'm some awkward nerd who is oblivious to girls. But, since I'm very much a stoic-appearing person, few people even ask if I have a girlfriend or not. Only recently have people asked if I was going to get married. I think that's also because my family is from India, so maybe a lot of people assume I'll just get an arranged marriage. However, I'm always say I want to make my own decisions.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes it does , I'll always get the oh but you dress so feminine or you look too pretty to be gay or my favorite you don't give off a lesbian vibe

17. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it annoying as hell. Every time someone asks me a stupid question like "what kind of girls do you like?" I want to ask them how the hell they know I'm straight and interested in girls in the first place.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This, with the exception that I am not from India...:icon_bigg

19. Camerooon

My friends all heavily suspect I'm gay, it's usually just adults that assume I'm straight. The other day my mum was talking about my future wife and I was just like "you're stupid" and she got all confused. She's talked about the possibility of me being gay in the past.. I wonder when she'll get the hints.

20. iceQ

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am not offended when others automatically assume that I am straight as I haven't been out of the closet yet.. but I can't say that I am amused when they do that. I just feel a little bit disappointed that they are close-minded. :icon_sad: