1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Theory: Are Video Games anti-LGBT?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ThePhoenix, May 10, 2014.

1. ThePhoenix

I just watched this Game theory video and wanted to hear everyones opinion.

[YouTube]XdmJXHJLZ6M[/YouTube]

2. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Another Theorist o: Yeah I found it very interesting, and I especially liked MatPat's point of viddya gayms always having to appeal to a dominantly Heterosexual Male audience.

3. Im Just Me

I'm not a big gamer and so am not watching the video, nor am I someone who could be an expert on this, but I'd like to share something~

My brother has found little pro-LGBT and gay rights things in some action games he plays, and always is sure to tell me. He was playing one a while back (can't remember the name, but if someone is interested I can ask him) that on multiple occasions casually referenced same-sex partners. Not in a dramatic way, but as if they are the same as everyone else and this is perfectly accepted. He said the game took place in a futuristic setting. It was an action game and had multiple references to this sort of thing. One I particularly remember was he said a women in it was being threatened and had to fight to save her wife, or something like that.

Kinda cool. :slight_smile:

4. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

[​IMG]
    Man today has been perfect gif for the right moment.

5. Orange Bananas

I watched tthat episode!

Really troubling. :frowning2:

6. Saint Otaku

Seems to be quite well-covered. Half-way through I was thinking "But Vivian!" then he talked about Vivian. ^_^

A+ Eye-Opener

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Alot of the Censoring from overseas comes from the company themselves, sometimes their NA branches.Only because it is such a hot sensitive area at the moment.
    Nintendo censored the sims because kids aren't going to buy it for themselves, the parents are. While it is ok to let a 10 year old chainsaw huge lizardmen called locusts in half with blood and guts shooting all over the place, Parents would flip if they saw their 10 year old having his male character make out with another guy.

I would like to point at FF I, IV (2 for the SNES in NA) & VI (III for the Snes) as examples, Nintendo Censored the White Magic "Holy" as ""Fade" "White" & "Pearl" respectively to abstain from insulting a heavy Christian based audience in the west, in later releases the spells were renamed to "Holy".

FF series is full of LGBT friendly characters, i made a blog post on here (and a fuller one on my actual Blog) about this. as for a few other characters... Let me think... lol
    (pretty much any SE RPG really)
    Brave fencer Musashi - Steward Ribson (I think that's the right one) -
    Star ocean 2 - You the player (you can choose male or female) and can form romances with a single character of the same sex
    Fable 1,2,3 - You the protaganist
    Fallout 3, NV - you the protaganist (3 - certain npcs, NV - via Perk - cherchez la femme, confirmed bachelor)
    Enchanted Arms - Makato
    Fire Emblem Radiant Arms - Heather
    Valkyria Chronicles - many troops you can recruit have "fancies X/Y" genders in their profiles
    Dragon age: origins, 2 - you the protagonist
    Dragon's Dogma - You
    TES - 4,5 (can't remember about 3)
    Saint's row - 2,3,4

However the ever growing number of LGBT characters both heroes and allies, can be attributed to the Video Game industry itself, as in early years it was believed that white heterosexual men would be the soul driving force for any genre in the industry, but as we are seeing a growing support for LGBT rights and supporters, that it is more and more ok for this group of people to fulfill heroic roles

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WTF. I'm not even going into some of those terms! Sadism does not automatically equate to psychopathy. Volgin was a psychopathic sadist. MGS is full of psychopathic sadists. I haven't played GTA5, but I can tell you that most bipolar people are more dangerous to themselves than to others.

Video games portray many things incorrectly. Don't get me started on the swordfighting... I guess it has to be made fun, though. They want drama. There needs to be more positive examples of LGBT. Of course some negative ones as well... LGBT people can also be evil -- as childish as I believe that term is. However, it needs to be made clear that it isn't because they are LGBT. Do straight people do bad things because of their sexuality? Usually not.

When I play Doom, I want to shoot all the demons and get 100+% (yes, it happens) for my kill percentage. It's a typical western portrayal of demons and loads of fun.

9. ThePhoenix

I believe it brought up some valid points and some not so much, it is just a theory though and I'm glad it brought them to this thread. I think its not all valid at all which is common in most theories, but it also brought up very valid points with the lack of lgbt characters in some games, even though there are more than stated in the video, and the lack of support and encouragement of lgbt characters.

10. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was perfect apart from the fact he misgendered Vivian ;__;

11. JessicaWolfess

Guess I have been supporting a homophobic industry my whole life. Also I'm not going to stop. ever. But seriously companies should work on making their gameplay good and working as apose to catering for audiences and working on dlc more than the main $70-$110 game that doesn't work half the time(Battlefield 4, cod ghosts, sim city etc)

12. kem

kem

I regret reading the comments.

Interesting video, and there were some great thoughts. I need to watch that reality show though. I love sassy black TV personas.