1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is smoking more common in LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    76.4%
  3. Used to

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THere are several studies showing that LGBT people in general and I think gay men in particular, have much higher rates of smoking than the general population of similar age.

It goes back to self-esteem, a desire to fit in, and numbing... all byproducts of shame.

I, personally, would not date a smoker. I can't stand the smell, nor the smell of the person, his clothes, his car, or anything else, even if he hasn't smoked anywhere near me.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, never bothered me. I suppose because my folks never smoked, there was a certain mystery/taboo about it, and also, a certain appeal inasmuch as if represented a fatalistic, rebellious aspect: a sort of 'live fast, die young' punk sort of impulse. Healthy? Well, no, but life is many things for many people.

Nowadays, it seems like more and more people choose not to smoke to 'fit in'; a smoker these days is all the more the outcast, which perhaps actually reinforces the appeal by strengthening the rebel/outcast image/symbolism.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Ain't nothing wrong with a joi-- oh, we're talking about cigarettes. Aherm.

I do smoke cigarettes. I started when I was 19, but didn't make it a typical routine until I was 21. Before all of this, I'd tried a cigarette two or three times before, but never made it past puff two or three. Nowadays, I go through about 1/4 of a pack a day, so a pack will last me 2 or 3 days, depending on my mood and what is going on. While I know it isn't a very appealing or attractive trait to many, it gives me a quick comfort fix, if that makes any sense. And, in a way, it's kind of fascinating to know that, with each cigarette, I am kind of controlling my own demise. Weird, yes, but also kind of intoxicating in a bizarre sort of way.

Do I ever in intend to quit? Most likely. I'm going to have to quit soon, because I've seen what it has done to many people, many of which are in my family. At the rate I'm going, I'll probably be traveling down that anti-lung road in the next 5-6 years.

Could I be with someone who smokes? Sure. I don't mind it so much, probably due to the fact I smoke, and it would seem hypocritical. Do I smoke around others? No, I try to stay as far away as possible, especially when I see children or pregnant women. I may smoke, but I ain't a dick about it.

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my very limited sample of lgbtq people, most are non-smokers today but about 75% of them were regular smokers at some point in time (most are 30 yo or older and like many of the general population quit in recent years).

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I linked to and quoted several studies in an earlier post above.

There were conflicting conclusions as to whether gay men or lesbians were more likely to smoke.

A study by the American Lung Association found gay men were 2.5 times more likely to smoke than straight men, while lesbians were 2 times more likely to smoke than straight women. And bisexuals smoked more than anyone.

But then a study out of California found that gay men were 50% more likely to smoke than straight men, while lesbians were 70% more likely to smoke than straight women.

Among adolescents it was found that 47% of lesbian youth smoked compared with 36.7% of gay male youth, versus 29% of straight youth.

Although sadly the constant thread was that both lesbians and gay men were substantially more likely to smoke than straight people.

6. 101DeadRoses

Hate smoking.... It's just disgusting to me, and I would never date someone who smokes... Just my opinion.

7. BelleFromHell

All the more reason for me to stay in the closet.

Gay men still get a bad rap, but it's painfully obvious that lesbians are viewed as much less classy and clean cut than they are. This study is just more proof.

---------- Post added 10th May 2014 at 07:22 PM ----------

I agree. Smoking is definitely on my list of "Top Ten Turn-offs."

8. Saint Otaku

I believe there are several studies showing the Queer community to have a higher proportion of smokers--and other adverse factors in general.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Apparently, It's true, but I'm not one of them nor will I ever be. I couldn't date someone who smokes due to my asthma so It's really disheartening to hear this.

10. EyesNeverLie

I was a smoker from the time I was 17 until January of this year. I'm very proud of myself for quitting. I really can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke and I have no clue why I started smoking in the first place.

I wouldn't mind dating someone who is a smoker but as long as they don't smoke heavily. Like, two packs a day.

11. Weekender

I don't know a lot of LGBT folks in my everyday life, but the majority of the ones I do know smoke.

Personally, just thinking about smoking makes me feel cold inside. I could never bring myself to purposefully ingest something that could destroy my health, and I think it would be disrespectful to myself and my body if I ever did.

And, in all honesty, my parents would probably freak out more if they ever found me smoking than they would if they found out I'm gay.

I wouldn't be able to date someone who smoked -- seeing someone I love destroy themselves little by little would just tear me apart.

12. tulipinacup

For some reason I actually like the smell of cigarette without it getting a light on because the smoke causes my stomach to ache.

I never smoked before and it's always awkward when my colleagues go out for a smoke and I just...stand there.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so weird for me to read this thread--hardly anyone I know smokes any more. In fact we just got someone in my office who smokes (straight guy, by the way). The other day he left a pack of cigarettes on his desk and I remember thinking--don't leave those out people will find out. Like I think of it as a sort of dirty little secret.:lol:

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Smoking is a deal-breaker to me. There are enough hazards to my health as it is. I don't need another one.

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I find it unnecessary, but that is just me. I won't give these damn companies the satisfactory!

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I absolutely cannot stand the smell of smoke, let alone being able to tolerate actually smoking.

The smell is really hard to get rid of, too.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Given that a handful of people that I would hang around and talk to smoke, I don't mind the smell but yeah, I don't smoke. Blunts, cigs, e-cigs, hookah, you name it...I don't partake.

18. I know the first lesbian person I met did smoke, but of course, one more isn't the whole community. However, I have seen the studies and sadly, yes, there are a lot smokers in the LGBTQ community. I think it has to do with all of the struggles of being LGBTQ and one who is LGBTQ might decide to turn to smoke to ease that pain. I couldn't date a smoker though, number 1 reason being that I couldn't stand to watch the girl/guy I love do something harmful to their health. And number two would be because smoking really isn't attractive to me and I still have a little asthma - And my brother has asthma worse than mine. I just hope that the people who smoke will soon quit and that they may find other ways to cope and be a happy person without the cigerattes!

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't smoke

20. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

I smoked since 17 to 27, but now I think smoking in XXI century is sick.
    First it's unhealthy, second it's expensive, third it's unfashionable