1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you remain friends with someone who doesn't support gay rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, May 5, 2014.

1. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't stay friends with them

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure.

I may vehemently disagree with someone on issues pertaining to gays (or anything else, for that matter), but that doesn't necessarily mean that I can't find common ground on many other things, and remain friends.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Glad to see that most agree with me, lol.

4. CyanChachki

No. I've dealt with enough hate in my life to know that it'll never work out in the end. I've remained friends with those who where against it and all they did was try to reason with me on why it was wrong. There's just no way I can listen to that every day.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yup. It hurts too much to remain friends with such people.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not. As others said, I'd feel a bit hurt.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe they are intelligent enough to be my friend so I usually dump them.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but not good friends.

9. 101DeadRoses

Maybe if I didn't KNOW that they didn't support gay rights. My granddad (far away and not a part of my life thankfully) is racist, sexist, homophobic, and HARD conservative. There is also a couple people on my facebook page that I am keeping a close eye on... If they slip up, it's over without a second thought.

10. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no choice. My country is not as tolerant as some others and marriage will probably never be allowed. Everyone is racist, a lot of people are hiding and pretending to hate gays as well. As long as I'm staying closeted I still need company and I just have get used to the hateful comments before I go out in the wild. Once that happens I'll probably abandon my intolerant friends silently.
    It's all just formations of photons hitting your retina, to which your brain has bound a meaning. Words are just sound waves picked up by your ears. They can't physically harm you.

11. Kyubi

I have a lot of friends who don't support gay rights but accepted me as I am. And we were all close friends before I came out to them. A good friend is a good friend. I have some athiest and theist friends who don't see eye to eye with eachother and I'm an agnostic among some friends who are agnostic too and we don't see eye to eye with the theists or atheists but we are all still close friends egenthough we disagree with eachother's beliefs. It's the same thing. I don't care what you believe in as long as you eon't tell me what I should believe in, we can be friends. Friendship is more than having such boundaries. I respect my friends and they respect me.

12. mangotree

If the intolerance is due to religion, then I would find it difficult to disown them as a friend.
    I know from my own past experience as a christian that the "mental conditioning" that occurs in church, the church culture and the church community gets ingrained into your being and thoughts quite quickly and quite easily.
    I can't imagine what it would be like to be someone who has spent their whole life receiving that conditioning.
    As long as they will still accept the friendship, it is actually a great opportunity to gradually and gently enlighten them.

On the other hand, if they're homophobic just because they think 2 guys kissing is "icky" or because of some insecurity within themselves, then I don't have much patience for them.

13. thekillingmoon

Probably not. I'm used to being alone, so any friends I make will be the kind of people who are not anti-lgbt and can accept me for who I am. Better be alone than be friends with someone you can't stand.

14. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Same situation & thoughts.

---------- Post added 6th May 2014 at 03:02 AM ----------

Can't argue with that!

15. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Of course I would. Absolutely no problem at all. The question is, would they be friends with ME. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th May 2014 at 04:10 AM ----------

Excellent comparison. I'm a Christian and one of my closest and dearest to my heart friends is an atheist. I love him so much. Hes an amazing human being.

16. MrBrightside

Nope, id give them some time but in the end, nope.

17. hiding

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Personally I find that this depends on how long you have known this friend for. If the person completely obliterates the fact that gay rights even exist then it may pose a problim in the friendship. Hopefully they are able to accept the fact that these rights are needed within society.

18. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

You don't mind being around someone who doesn't support your rights to be happy?

I feel very uncomfortable around them.

19. Lipstick Leuger

I went further on this issue also. I made a list of those I planned to come out to, friends, family etc, and if I thought they would be supportive or not. I realized some would not approve and I wanted to decide how much they were worth to me, relationship wise. Then, I waited 6 months to tell them as I wanted to have some therapy to learn to accept myself. Then I came out.

I was right for all but one of them. Some, mostly my father, grandmother and brother were NOT supportive. My high school BF, even though she said she didn't want to lose a friend over it, was not supportive of gay rights, and pleasantly my BFF from 6th grade was like "Like I didn't know this? Seriously" she laughed herself silly over it and marched extensively in the PROP 8 overturn in Ca. She has been NOTHING but supportive. So, I learned a lot of good things. When I met my wife I was told by my family members above that they didn't want to meet her and they wanted me to come to all the Holliday gatherings anyhow. I refused, telling them that if they could not accept me and who loved, then they didn't need to be in my life. My Partner was really upset and in tears for quite a while over it, but I had already planned to spend my life with her so I was NOT backing down. I didn't talk to any of the above family members for 2 years. Finally, my brother came around, and then my father. He actually likes my wife. Though my granny has never really accepted it and said she didn't approve, she also told me that she would not approve if I were with a black man either. So. there ya go. She's almost 90, and I don't talk to her much.

It probably was much easier for me as I was adult, on my own and able to support myself and didn't require their support. It would have really upset me the most if my BFF would have not accepted me. I don't think I would get over that easily.

20. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I guess I dont view it that way. I view them as human... maybe they lack understanding or information. I dont presume that everyone is equally educated or intelligent, nor do I view those that might be less educated/intelligent as holding less value. I do understand the discomfort with some people, though particularly those that are angry anti-gay rights.