1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, May 3, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd teach you how to defend yourself.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always wondered about kyudo. Is it hard to do? It's a shame there is nowhere around here that teaches anything like that...not that I can get to anyway.

3. Daniel003

I usually try to go to as many competitions as i can as there often aren't that many 15 year old girls who want to 1 take part and 2 compete as it usually involves getting hurt
    Once i get black belt i will have to stop as the category is much larger and most people are better than i am

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and no. Kyudo is one of the most esoteric and beautiful martial arts. On the one hand, it really doesn't take much strength (we're not using huge draw weights like war bows) because you're supposed to rely on the bone structure, but on the other hand it is very challenging because the bow and arrow reflect your inner mind, and everything is instinctive (no sights, arrow rests on the left thumb, floating anchor point of the arrow, etc.).

There is an adage "seisha hicchu" = "true/correct shooting, certain hitting." What this means is that when the form is correct, the arrow must hit in the desired spot. The form is just as important as accuracy/precision. Here's a nice segment from a documentary on kyudo:

[youtube]Rh-ohspuCmE[/youtube]

I understand about the distance. I only started learning because I was in Pasadena, California for an internship. Kyudo is still very nascent outside of Japan. The closest dojo to you is in Hertfordshire, but you might even see if you can attend seminars. It seems Oxford has a university club, so you might talk to martial artists near you to see if they can set up a seminar.
    Heijoshin Kyudojo - UK KYUDO

5. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

Kung Fu San Soo, Shorinryu Karate-do, Aikido

6. ProtegeMoi

Closest I got is my shaolin monk workouts with shifu yan lei

7. iamshe

iamshe Guest

I took a taekwondo class last semester! Does that count? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But for real it's super cool to see people who are actually really good at martial arts do their thing. Wish I had gotten started when I was younger.