1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's so gay!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Typhoon, May 2, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Doesn't it bother you somewhat when people use the word 'gay' to refer to a hindrance or misfortune? And yes, nearly all the time, the actual word is used indirectly as a homosexual slur, since practically all the people I know who say it like that are extreme homophobes.

2. Daydream Harp

It's bloody annoying indeed

3. Techno Kid

I hate when people do that! :/

4. Jethro702

I really hate it... My brothers use it all the time, It bothers the **** out of me....

5. Gwendolyn

It definitely annoys me. Pretty much everybody at my school says it. Even the ones who you'd think wouldn't say it. It gets rather ridiculous.

6. ProtegeMoi

That's hella gay, bro.

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Once I was rowing with this girl from my school and she sneezed and did a bad stroke and the oar got caught in the water, and she complained that "the oar is acting gay" which just irritated me SO MUCH and I told her not to do it... now she uses it on purpose just to bother me :/

8. Tic Code

It is literally one of the most annoying things I hear on a daily basis, though it seems primarily to stem from high school students. Can we stop changing the meaning of the word so much? It used to be happy, now it's homosexual, and now it's a catch-all phrase for stupid. If you mean stupid, just say stupid! Stop using minorities to define something as negative! I also feel that way when people say something is "Jewish" as an insult (and I'm not even Jewish). Use the words that were meant to describe what you mean instead of prescribing the meaning to demographics. It's just annoying and ignorant.

9. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

It never really bothered me unless someone takes it over the line. When someone calls someone else a "faggot" for doing something silly gets me more.

10. Yazuki118

It is quite irritating. The other day, my friend introduced me to her other friends. My friend hates it when people curse, but she didn't care when her friends kept calling things gay. That bothered me quite a bit. People need to just use words the way they were intended to be used.

11. Hysteria

To be fair, I rarely ever hear the word 'gay' being used to refer to something that is bad. I still hear 'faggot' being thrown around as an insult though, which can get quite irritating if it's used consistently.

12. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, It does bother me, When ever someone calls something Gay I respond with "How is it Gay?".

13. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever it happens I just reply "No, that's sad".

14. MessieM

Well, due to the fact that my peers were using it as a common term way before my realisation and acceptance of my gayness, I too have the vocal tick of describing inanimate objects and occurrences as gay.

Though recently, I have noticed that it is used mostly in the context of something that is different or unusual, to take the mick in a non-offensive fashion, to endear oneself to something normally scorned upon. For example, "There was this chick on the bus this morning wearing these massive hipster glasses with elephants on them!" "Woah, that's so gay!"

Also, I have observed that it is also used to describe something that may cause annoyance, but is understood to be necessary. For example "Math class is so gay."

I'm not sure whether I have described it very well, but it is the acceptance of something that may cause complications/bemused attention that it is what it is.

I know that I never used it in a hurtful manner. What I do find hurtful is when someone says "Shut up, you lesbian". That is cruel.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Meh. I hardly use the word myself, but it doesn't really bother me if someone uses it as an insult.
    What does make me angry is when people start making homophobic/transphobic comments.

16. 741852963

When strangers do it I don't really care. But when friends and relatives drop it in sentences it really bothers me.

There are members in my family who describe anything different or undesirable as gay and think the "gay" quote from Community is "hilarious" and so regularly quote it. I love Community but that part really annoys me - the writers should have realized how quickly and easily that could spread (given Ken Jeong's popularity amongst young people after The Hangover) and that it would only add to present homophobia in the real-world. Its fine having a homophobic character on a TV show, but make them the laughing stock - don't give them highly-quotable catchphrases and portray them as lovable rogues.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand that!

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's not something that bothers me. I'm mentally aware of the incorrect usage of the word, but there's no point in letting myself getting bothered over people saying it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. BelleFromHell

Hate it. Gay is NOT a synonym for stupid.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather it be a synonym for 'cool'.

Like, "Wow, I love your new boots! They're so totally gay! Where did you get them?" :lol:

And then when I tell people I'm gay, they'd know I'm cool. :thumbsup: