1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never Close Enough - Shaving the MtF Face

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AudreyB, May 1, 2014.

1. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't read all the replies so Idk if anyone's mentioned this but I use a no-no on my sensitive skin and it takes persistence and patience but if you can afford it and keep up with it, it's great.
    The first 6 weeks you don't see huge results but if you stick with it the hair really does come in thinner and more slowly. It seems like thinner would be a really big plus for trans women. Keeping up with it is the biggest thing.

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

thinner & slower is always better lol
    I was thinking about a nono but I opted for a remington laser thingy instead. works pretty well

3. Just Jess

This is exactly what I do. Except... no old spice for me thanks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I am out of my B&BW Twisted Peppermint body wash, winter needs to get here faster.

Oh who am I kidding. I really am cheap enough to use shampoo like body wash. VO5 kiwi. Tres chic!

Yeah it is great how well it works for keeping the razor clean though, you can usually turn it upside-down and tap out all the hair. I only change my razor like once / month. And with the steam I almost never cut myself.

I guess there is one other difference, I usually use aloe from the fridge. Closes my pores right up and makes my skin feel so smooth. It does sometimes sting a little especially if I just had my laser recently.

So yeah shampoo + aloe = $0.0cheap.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree about the iced/cool down thing since Audrey said it earlier. It reduces swelling and closes pores is right.

I frickin looked amazing yesterday after doing that. And it was smooth as *insert euphemism*.

But cool aloe... I'll have to try that Jess.

5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

OK, had a real epiphany a short while ago: I really hate shaving. At last, an original thought. :rolle:

Seriously, I fucking hate this goddamn black hair that has to plague my lily-white legs and body. I spend an eternity in and out of the shower trying to get clean-shaven and think I do. Then I go out into the sun and suddenly see the forest of black tree trunks sprouting all over my knees, thighs and belly. :angry: Instant U-turn back to apartment to do yet another touch up.

I have to purse the electrolysis option soon (either that or laser removal) or I'm going to go :***: crazy.

Fuck you, Y chromosome!

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Horrible isn't it...doesn;t seem to matter how smooth you were ten minutes later it's back or you find a spot you missed or something...

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Oh, it's just relentless. Why must it be so? :tears:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Y chromosomes...

Not kewl bruh.

9. ProtegeMoi

Why y why! Face and neck drive me the most nuts. I do a good job on my legs. Oh and I hate shaving my stomach area I got bumps presumably from my underwear waistband or the fact that I wear tight pants a lot. Either way not fun.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find I don't get bumps if I run the blade under some hot water and put warm water on my skin first...

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

OK, think I have turned an important corner with this matter. I no longer hate shaving. :slight_smile:eek:slight_smile: Let me explain...

I intensely dislike the need to shave; particularly my face and torso, domains that they are of male body hair growth. However, for two reasons, I've now come to actually enjoy the act of shaving:

1. Since Riley's consultation on proper feminization*, I've perfected my actual technique of wielding the blade, at her insistence. Seems I simply was maybe a little too casual in my strokes before, particularly on my face. I had resigned myself to the presence of a highly-visible shadow as just par for the Y chromosome course. However, since this further honing, along with expanding my earlier routine to include two complete shaves consecutively--one with the grain, one against--I'm now getting shaves so close that the sensation is a near return to my high-school age face. I'm now going to be able to use far less concealer to get all the shadow nasties covered. So now the practice has become an exciting challenge, where I seek each time to more completely slay the beard dragon. :slight_smile:
    2. This is really a mere part of a greater whole, which encompasses my more resolute embracing of a determination to transition. As such, I look at shaving as a mere component in the mechanism of preparing my body for transition. As I see it, the better and more frequently I shave, the better and more healthy my epidermis is going to be, which translates into an easier go of laser removal and, finally, electrolysis. So in other words, I'm no longer viewing the act as though I were slave to the blade. To the contrary, I now view the blade as a mere tool for anointing my body for future purification. On that note, I am researching quality laser removal options and am determined to begin this process with the week. :grin:

Huzzah, lords and ladies, I am on the path to follicle-free-dom! (!)

* She recommends daily shaving to better condition the facial skin to the act, which I am embarking on starting this evening.

#71 AudreyB, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hazzah!
    But I agree, I find that shaving with the grain, then against it works wonders. Neck still gets a bit shadowy, but that's what foundation's for eh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See two shaves seems like a good idea but it's so damned time consuming...might give it a try though!

14. straightqueer20

Maybe using make up could help?

I don't shave because I think it'll grow in even more. I just apply make up and the shadow disappears for the day.

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Won't work for me, I don't wear any :/

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Closest shave I ever had was with a barbers cut throat razor after the hot towel treatment. Beats the pants off any shave I've ever had with a Gillette/Wilkinson razor. Not sure I'd have the guts to use one myself, but a steady hand and bit of patience should see you alright, if you're brave enough.

Just a thought.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I;ve always wanted to try that, I just get the feeling I'd accidentally lop my head off or something xD Can't use a two bladed disposable razor without bleeding profusely, goodness only knows the damage I could do with a cut throat xD

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the last time i dressed, a couple of weeks ago, i shaved with an electric and a couple of hours later i did a blade shave and was amazed with the results, smooth as a baby's butt even the next morning. i use a Phillips body groom plus (foil type shaver) then a gillette mach 3 after a shower.

19. straightqueer20

maybe tanning helps?

I recognized my skin pretty even and less contrasts when I tan.

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't tan, I burn reeeeeeally bad xD Sorry to keep shooting down your ideas (*hug*)