1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you can turn off your emotions.. would you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Z3ni, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes my affective response is 'flattened' and it is some of the worst times. At those times I start to want to feel anything and I get urges I have been able so far to resist to self-harm to inspire sensation. I imagine that is what actual self-harm victims experience as well.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've done this most of my life with my sexuality with other things , in order for me to survive I had to not show emotion and turn it off . Would I do it now no it's a painful life to live like that .

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Never. I went through a large part of my life that way and it really hurt me. There is also the fact that what I do depends on me being in tune with my feelings. If I don't feel I can't do what I love, and that would really suck.

4. kanfused

I want to turn off my emotions.

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would only turn off the emotions that make me hateful, judgeful, and selfish towards other people.

6. Candace

Like Tai said, the ones that make me any less of a person and are bad, such as being judgmental, rude, and hateful towards others.

7. TurtleCat

No, I wouldn't. Because emotions are what life is all about.

8. idream

idream Guest

Personally, I experience extreme bouts of empathy and apathy. Both suck, but I'll take feeling overload over none at all.

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep I would.

10. NobodyKnowsHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would, actually. My emotions kind of get in the way sometimes.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No.

The moment I do that, I start becoming numb. And when that happens, well, there is very little to prevent me from seeking stimulation. That's the thing about shutting off your emotions, you stop feeling, but you still want something to move you, so, you make things move.

Of course, it would be nice to just turn off the negative ones, as has been previously suggested. But, the thing about negative emotions is, when compared to the positive ones, you gain insight. You learn the whys, the inner mechanics of what makes you tick, and this promotes reflection, while nurturing personal growth. So, again, no.

12. person57

No, I would never turn off my emotions. It's a great thing to be emotional! :slight_smile:

13. Blossom85

I am a very emotional and sensitive person and as hard as having all kinds of emotions running through you at different times, many times when you should be focusing on other things.. I would never wish to turn those emotions off. Emotions to me is who you are at your core, going into your soul itself if you will. I think if you shut off emotions.. You become someone who is almost soulless, someone who doesn't care either way what happens to the world and the people around them. Emotions and feeling is what makes is human, otherwise we would be mindless unemotional robots who just do as we are told and don't think and feel for ourselves.

14. kem

kem

I can and I do. I value reason and mental clarity above all. Currently I'm not really feeling anything, but if I want to, I can enjoy the sun shining through the window, warming my cheek. If I want to dig further, I could try handling my feelings of constant inadequacy, self-hatred, anxiety and whatnot, but I choose to leave them be and only release them when I have access to a creative outlet.

15. White Knight

I wonder if you can turn off your emotions completely at all. Probably it depends from person.

I kinda did in the past or still doing it but emptiness from positive emotions filled with negative ones; like hate, anger or cruelity. Deppression fuels those emotions with adding sense of being unworthy and over all negative attidute towards life.

16. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The ability to rationally interpret and use affective stimuli is what separates us from beasts. If we did not have it would we have any reason to do anything?

17. Ned B

As emotional as I can be sometimes, I would not want to turn them off. They are an integral part of who I am. I wish we lived in a world that was more emotionally honest and open than less so.

18. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no because emotions are a part of you .

19. Dakeli27

There's no point in replying to the OP, but to the title... Yes. I would do it sometimes. I'm a little worried I wouldn't turn the back on again, but I would love something like that. I feel lonely, listless, or depressed half the time, and some kind of escape would be perfect.