1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on doing it tomorrow night... freaking out a little.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stillhidden, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your case sounds just like mine.

2. w1e2e9s5a9L6ou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there, I've been in this situation before, and I know it's difficult. but I do agree when everyone here says you can't avoid the anxiety. Having anxiety is your body's reaction to a stressful and uncomfortable situation that's trying to get you to "get it over with" or "get out of there" because you don't feel good about what you're doing or what's happening. It's unavoidable in nervewracking times like this.
    I would say just try and be confident in who you are and who you want others to see you as. If you go all mousy when you try to come out to him, he may think you're not sure about yourself or you're ashamed of yourself - and neither are okay. You should make sure you're confident and sure of yourself first, then try to portray that message to others. Who you tell others you think of yourself is who they will treat you as.

Most of all - good luck, and sleep well tonight and eat healthy tomorrow! :slight_smile: You'll feel better.. All the luck in the world :slight_smile:

3. Gen

Gen

Finally, a coming out story that we can all smile about. It seems as though it is only the negative ones that we hear about in this section of the forum.

Congratulations and I wish you the best with your family. The important thing is that you will have people around you who truly love and support you. Hopefully, your family will be within that group, but if they aren't in the end it will be their loss. (*hug*)

4. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! I too have found friends to be very accepting, but I always thought they would be. That doesn't lessen the nerves, though...

mln123, what an interesting story! You both came out at the same time to each other! It's like a fairytale. Any more details to share? Did you suspect that he was gay too? And I loved the cool, fun way your friend eased your coming out.

5. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the quote by your best friend in your sig! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your kind words, but I already did it! :slight_smile: Check back on the last page (toward the end), and you'll see my story/results.

EC has been so helpful to me, but I must admit, I did read quite a few "horror" stories about bad coming outs in this section that made me a little nervous, lol. I wish everyone could have such supportive friends (like mine).

Thanks a lot! My family... I just don't know. They are so homophobic that I almost can't stand being around them sometimes. They are so incredibly bigoted. I can't imagine my coming out going well with them, so I've put it off for so long. As much as I sometimes hate my parents, I still don't want to lose them, and I think it's a real possibility that they would not want anything to do with me. Or perhaps even worse, they would constantly annoy me with bible verses and want me to "pray the gay away" with them at church. Eventually, I will tell them, but... I want to build up a little bit larger support group around me before doing that.

Next on my list would be a few more friends, and then my brother and his wife. Frankly, I'm not sure how he even feels about gay people. I hear him sometimes say things like "That's so gay." I realize that is an expression people learn when they are growing up to use as an insult, so maybe he doesn't really have a problem with gay people. But I'm just not sure. Honestly, I think he's too old (he's 2 years older than me) to be using it as an insult... like I said, that's something teenagers do. I'd probably come out to his wife first and ask her if she has any idea how my brother would react.

lol yeah.. Even knowing my friend would be supportive didn't really help lower my anxiety that much when coming out to him, lol. Feels good now, though!

6. CyanChachki

I don't know if it's normal, but I have felt that way too before coming out because there's always that small voice doubting the reaction. Plus, you two have known each other for so long. I think though, that if he's okay with gay people then he'd be okay with you. I can't say for sure but what's the difference?

I agree with what winterswimmer said, it's best to come out before drinking because the reaction could be a little mixed up.

Well, good luck!! I hope things go over really well :slight_smile:

7. flymetothemoon

Congrats on coming out. So happy for you that it went so well and now you have another support as you decide if/when to come out to more people!

8. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good story, I found it interesting! Congrats on the bravery! And I'm so glad he is accepting! :grin:

9. confuseduser99

WOW! I'm so happy for you, stillhidden! Sounds like a great friend you have there! This post really gives me hope that maybe one day, I may "come out" if I ultimately determine that I'm gay. Your post on my thread has also really helped me.

I want to backtrack a little though. How did you ultimately admit to yourself that you were gay? I feel now more than ever that I'm in denial, that I'm lying to myself. Take a look at these two threads of mine if you have time. These instances have really made me reflect upon my sexuality, and they may very well be obvious signs, but I'm still wondering if it could be something else. Thread 1 (the "trigger" situation for me which led me to eventually start posting on EC) http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...e-im-turned-still-need-help-soo-confused.html

Thread 2 (these occurrences have taken place since posting on EC some 5 days ago): http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...-sleep-related-sexual-cravings-sign-help.html

Again, congratulations! (*hug*)

10. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Aww, thanks! :slight_smile: (*hug*) I hope you will have a similar experience as me if you do decide to come out. It feels really great after it's done.

As far as when did I ultimately admit to myself that I was gay... Well, around 12-13, I knew I was different. I didn't know I was gay back then, but I didn't have a lot of the same interests as other guys my age. And when they would start talking about dating a girl or thinking a girl in our class was cute, I'd look at her, and feel nothing at all toward her. I started to notice guys a bit more around this time, but was really confused on why I didn't see girls in that way. I told myself that I just wasn't old enough or mature enough to have those feelings for girls yet. That was my excuse at the time, anyways.

Fast forward a few years, and I still had no sexual attraction to girls. By this point, I knew something was up. I thought "Am I gay? No no no... I can't be gay. This can't be true." I said that to myself every day for a long time. I'd start to notice a cute guy in my class, and I'd immediately turn away and look at a girl to try to feel something... anything for them. More than anything in high school, you want to fit in. So I decided I would try to date a girl - one of my really good friends at the time. I thought maybe if I gave it a real chance, I would have feelings and not be gay. We dated for a bit, but... I think she knew something was wrong. I never wanted to kiss or mess around. When we would kiss, it just felt so wrong to me. And again, I felt absolutely nothing for her sexually. We eventually broke up but remained friends... I think she knew, but never said anything to me about it. I tried once more to date another girl, but that one ended sooner than the first one. After I broke up with the second girl, I was actually really happy for some reason. Eventually, I really couldn't stop looking at my guy friends and having sexual thoughts about them. After trying multiple times to date girls and feel anything for them, I finally came to admit it to myself... I'm gay.

Even though I admitted it to myself, I don't think I fully accepted it until I was around 20 years old in college. I knew that my family would likely not understand or take it well, but I was happy that I was finally able to say "This is who I am, and I'm okay with that." It still took quite a few more years before I was able to tell anyone else (even a gay friend). I'm pretty sure I would have came out a lot sooner if I had known of websites like EC. :slight_smile:

As far as your threads go, I looked at them. I mean, I cannot really be the one to tell you if you are gay or not - that's something that only you can figure out. I know it's hard... trust me. We all know and understand what you are going through. I have a question for you.. in high school, did you ever develop feelings for any of your guy friends? Or did you ever look at them and think "wow, they are really cute."? How about now? Like the guy who flirted with you - did you think he was cute?

#30 stillhidden, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  11. confuseduser99

12. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, if you can admit you have found guys cute/attractive in the past (like high school and even now) and feel nothing for women, I think you are eventually coming around to accepting yourself. Like I said earlier, no one else can tell you if you are gay or not. However, if you ask me as an outside perspective... based on the similarities between our lives and your threads, I would say you are likely gay and in denial. But again, we can't be the one to tell you what you are. We can help you come to terms with your feelings and be there for support, though. :slight_smile:

I would say I am generally open with my parents as well, but... not this one thing. And I know what you mean about feeling like I'm hiding something huge from them. When I visit my parents, I feel like I have to put on some fake persona and not be myself.. and it hurts quite a bit. I've read so many threads on this forum, so I can't remember... did your mom ever ask you if you were gay? Or has anyone ever asked you that before? It's possible they already have suspected it and would be accepting, but... only you know your parents and how they might react.

13. confuseduser99

My mom has never asked me personally, but she's asked my sisters what they think about my sexuality, and if I ever came out to them (I found this out because my sisters told me). Even last Christmas break, when we were on vacation, there were some gay people at a restaurant, flirting with a server (who was also gay). My mom was like "I don't think they chose to be that way, right? Why would they choose that. I think they're born gay". The way she said it sounded like that was directed at me, but I may have just been reading that wrong. I think my sisters sometimes think I may be gay (they definitely have suspicions, but they say that I don't seem to gay now - I guess that's because I try to act as straight as possible).

A couple of friends in high school definitely had suspicions about me. One of them was even like "it's okay if you're gay. You'll be my gay friend. I love gay guys" on the bus ride home from school one day. I was homophobic back then, so I flat out denied that I was gay, and expressed a disgust for homosexuality. A gay guy in my program in college right now (it's a small program) thinks I'm gay as well, and has even said that to other people behind my back.

Finally, my uncle even said to my mom once that he thinks I'm gay, since I've never been with a woman now that I'm 20. My sexuality was a topic for the family at a small gathering for a few minutes apparently. My sister texted me when they were talking about it.

All this being said, it makes me feel like maybe I'm obviously gay to others, but I DON'T see myself that way. I honestly don't. I don't feel like I act gay. I don't think that I sound gay. But if so many people have their suspicions about me, maybe I'm just denying it all...

14. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading your post has made me curious on if my family has ever had a discussion (without me) about my sexuality. What your mom said actually made me happy for you - if she thinks gay people are born that way, that's a good thing. My parents believe people "choose" to be gay which is so dumb to me, and it annoys me to no end. Maybe your sister is trying to prod you into opening up to them... I mean, she obviously has her suspicions. I feel like there's no way my parents do not know I'm gay, though.. I mean, I haven't had a girlfriend since high school, and I'm 28 now so... yeah. lol I think they know but are in denial or something.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by you don't feel like you "act gay" or you don't "sound gay." Gay people are just normal people and do not act or sound any certain way. The media loves to portray gay people as really effeminate both in attitude and voice, but that's not the case for all gay people. I'd consider myself fairly straight acting, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm gay. I like guys. That's all it means to be gay.

15. confuseduser99

I don't know if my sisters would want me to be gay though. They openly admit that they find gays kind of weird. One of my sisters even laughs at the more effeminate ones who talk with higher pitches and tones. They aren't homophobic, but like most people, they find gays weird.

When I say that I don't think that I act gay, I mean that there are certain mannerisms that gays have (not all, but most). I feel like I don't have them, but when I reflect upon what others have said to me and have criticized me for in the past, I MUST have some gay-like mannerisms (see my other thread here for a more detailed discussion on the "gay mannerisms: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...34793-analyzing-my-childhood-gay-actions.html)

And talking about girlfriends, I've NEVER had one, EVER, and I'm 20 years old... I think most of my family (including extended family members) find that as a red alert.

I just remembered a comment I got from one of my younger cousins a few months ago. She said something like "we always knew that you were different since you were growing up". I can't remember why she said that, but I think she was teasing me for something that I may have said.

All of these shots at me where people think I'm gay. All these comments. I would always brush them off. I would be angry that people would think this about me, but I never sat down and thought "maybe I am gay"... until now. I know guys always get teased about doing something "gay" by other guys, but I've gotten this from friends and family alike.

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds pretty familiar to me. As in, I almost never a had date with girls, never found any of them "hot", never felt comfortable on the dates I did have, etc etc. But I would have felt very weird thinking about "dating" another guy. But I never thought, specifically that I was, God forbid, a "queer". That's what we would have been back then, not gay, queer.

It's really up to you to decide what you are, not anybody else. It sounds to me like you may be gay, or some other intermediate shade of not quite straight. I understand how difficult it can be to come out and say it to yourself, but when you know for sure, and if you are gay, you will. Then at some point it will dawn on you, if you are, that when people talk about gays negatively, or say "faggot", or say that something is "so gay", or that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, they are talking about YOU. It feels different then, so be ready for it. Welcome to the club, if you decide that you are.