1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Campus Clubs Curiosity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaplaceScramble, Apr 27, 2014.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to be attending a new school starting this August and was checking out the clubs when I noticed something strange. The school has 3 clubs that that would fit into the LGBT category, but all of them are more group specific than what I've seen at other schools. Dyking Club[dykes+hiking], QWEST [Queer women educating and supporting together], and Queer People of Color. All the clubs say they're open to people of all preferences, genders, races, etc., but they're still pretty pointed club titles (I'm not questioning why there aren't any clubs with titles more pointed at men or non-colored people, I can easily see how that might go poorly).

Given the schools proximity to Seattle (one of the gayest cities in America, just fyi) I'm not surprised that there are this many lgbt clubs on campus, but that there isn't a more general/broader GSA club. It's not going to stop me from checking out/joining these clubs, but it just seems odd.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this (and maybe why that was the case)?

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often times, clubs of all sorts come and go on college campuses depending upon interest and availability of leadership. You may find once you visit the actual LGBTQ center that there were many other clubs in the past that are simply not active anymore. My suggestion would be to let them steer you toward the best club for you and if you're really interested in having a GSA next year, then they will know you and you'll have an easier time starting one.