1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Your Thoughts On These "Reasons Someone Is LGBTQ"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bisexualkpopfan, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

This is all complete bullshit, and is not backed by any form of science.

2. musicgirl18

It's absolute shit. (pardon my french) I hear that crap all the time in my youth group, especially right now because my youth minister has this whole purity kick going on right now, but frankly, it is ridiculous. I've lived a completely normal life so far, and hey! Guess what! I'm still gay! Wow. Yeah, bullshit.

3. Soaring

Those reasons are all complete shit and honestly they offend me. They classify being LGBT+ as some type of mental disorder caused by trauma, and sexuality/gender identity shouldn't be classified as a disorder.

I was neglected and emotionally abused as a child, but that gave me depression, not a new sexuality. It's ridiculous to think that experiencing trauma could have anything to do with what gender you like. There is no evidence to support it and the two things have nothing to do with each other.

If we're looking for theories that actually make sense, there are some biological explanations that are being offered up.

One theory states that sexual orientation can be influenced by hormone levels in the womb. For example a female that had excess androgen before birth is more likely to be homosexual, and the same with males that had an abnormally low amount of testosterone. This also explains the way that relative index finger size can sometimes be indicative of sexual orientation.

Another theory is that the hypothalamus region called INAH3 controls sexual orientation. Recent studies have shown that straight males and lesbians (gynesexuals) tend to have a larger INAH3 and gay men and straight women (androsexuals) tend to have a smaller INAH3.

This evidence would support that sexuality is caused by biological factors, so there is actual evidence that people are born gay and not made that way.

If we're going to try and figure out what causes people to have different sexualities, we should at least look at facts instead of just blaming everything on trauma to make it look like a disorder.