1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe to long distance relationships?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FireSmoke, Apr 26, 2014.

?

Do you believe in long distance relationships?

1. Yeah, I do.

32.8%
  2. No, I don't.

18.8%
  3. I don't know.

1.6%
  4. It depends.

46.9%
  1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

By long distance I don't mean one/two/three hours but a distance of two different city/states/continents.

About me...no. I'd like being in a relationship with a canadian woman, for example, but thinking good about that, I find it ridiculous :confused:

2. BelleFromHell

Since I'm in love with a girl who lives on the other side of the country, maybe...
    It really depends on the person.

I personally couldn't handle it, which is one reason why I don't plan on telling her until I move to Colorado.

3. Hexagon

It depends, really. Some people are better suited than others, and it's also a question of how deep the feelings are. It's probably best not to intentionally pursue such a relationship, but if one comes along that you can't stand to ignore, then go for it.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

But how you can know good that person only by Skype? Isn't that idealization?

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends...I know I am capable of having crushes over long distances and I know I can fill a lot of my emotional needs through a computer...some of the best dates I've had have been at the computer...

I can think of 2 potential problems:

1. Physical contact
    2. Someone else

I don't care much about sex. I want it, but I can do without. What I CAN'T do without right now is cuddles and other little things like that. I want that side of a relationship badly, and I couldn't have that long distance.

Plus there is also the massively unlikely idea that I would run into someone perfect for me, who likes me and lives near me. I couldn't cheat on someone, ever, so I would either have to turn someone down who can give me all the things I need out of a relationship (which is kind of stupid), or I break up with my long distance partner because it's inconvenient (which is kind of cruel).

I guess it depends on the person. If they gave me butterflies I guess I would try long distance...

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I believe they exist. :slight_smile:

7. Lcfcfox

My girlfriend lives about 1 hour away so yeah I do and I visit her every week or two and we talk over skype and text :slight_smile:

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I said I don't mean one/two/three hours but a distance of two different city/states/continents. :dry:

#8 FireSmoke, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  9. Lcfcfox

Sorry :bang:
    I wasn't paying attention.

10. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. I don't like to give very certain and generalized views about human relationships, because they can be very complex.
    But I don't think it is possible if you have never met in person.

11. Bolin

I have mixed feelings about it... I was in one for about 6 months last year, but it didn't end well, and a lot of skeletons fell out of the closet... It really depends on both people involved. It requires a lot of patience and trust, and just the smallest amount of doubt can send things straight to hell.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I've tried five long distance where I never met the person. Yeah...didn't work. I do like some things about long distance: No pressure for sex/physical contact, and more space since you can avoid getting on skype when you're "not in the mood" compared to them constantly calling/showing up at your house. But at the same time you can't always know the person /:

13. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe they can work but it takes more communication and effort from both people than a regular relationship does. My girlfriend lives in Hawaii and I live in Missouri so it's definetly not the easiest situation. Our times are completely different, and it's not like we can just pack our stuff for the weekend and drive to see each another. I care about her so much so I'm willing to wait and be in a long distance relationship with her. Don't get me wrong I can't wait until were together in person, but she's worth waiting for. As for now, we text almost everyday and if were able to we call each other to say goodnight.

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Sorry for what I'm saying, but I believe it's all idealization.

15. thekillingmoon

I don't believe such relationships last. At the end of the day you want someone you can actually hug and feel their body warmth. Eventually you or the other person will meet someone in real life and they'll become the replacement for the person who's far away.

16. Projectfabulous

I personally don't know if I could handle it without previously dating the person/ seeing the person in person for a while. My sister and her fiancé (soon to be husband) dated in college and they both studied abroad at different times. He went to Italy for like 5 months, then a little after he came back to the USA, she went to France for around 5 months as well. Plus, after he graduated college (he being a year older) he worked in New York while she went to college 5+ hours away and they dated the entire time. So I guess it can work, but it just isn't for everyone.

17. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It worked for my dad for several years. My step mom used to live in Serbia and my dad would skype with her all the time.

18. Cass

For myself no. But if two people can deal with it then yes.

I've done it and it didn't work

19. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done so only once and it didn't end well for me so, while I wouldn't say 100% no, maybe 98%. But life is weird and complex and chaotic. With Skype, it's possible.

20. deer

Well, I think this entirely depends on the situation and on how emotionally and spiritually connected you both feel to one another. It may not always be easy to detect through a computer but if there is no true connection or chemistry it just won't work. It seems to me long distances are more likely to fall apart easily, yes, probably mostly because of the lack of touch and being with each other etc, but nonetheless I am personally somewhere open to the idea and want to believe it could somehow work. Then again I may romanticise the subject too much but however; you never know, really.