1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athletisism, extroversion and homosexuality.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BadCanadaJoke, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Which of those best describes you?

1. I work out and I am an introvert

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. I work out and I am an extrovert

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. I rarely work out and I'm an introvert

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. I rarely work out and I'm an extrovert

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Agaetis Byrjun

I'm a total introvert. And I bike about 5 days a week, any time that I can fit it in. I started running after I finished my BFA originally just as a general way to take care of myself, and so that it would be something to keep me motivated and feel like I'm accomplishing something over that summer. I switched almost completely into road biking last July due to this freak knee injury, but I hope to be able to run and race again soon. I'm very competitive with myself, and I like going out there and challenging myself to improve my times, constantly pushing it, amping up the miles, getting stronger, tackling bigger climbs. But ultimately I do it because I like it, and I like being outside, I just about went insane over this winter when I couldn't ride or run.

2. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do trampolining regularly, but I don't really use it as a work-out session, I'm just wired right for it so I find it easy. Other than that, I'm happy to be a couch potato, and my idea of a night out is popping down to the shops to get popcorn for a movie night in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. BadCanadaJoke

Many of you said that they didn't need much motivation to start, rather you were introduced to it by a friend or parent.

What keeps you going, though? What's the thing that keeps you at it, is what I would like to know next. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

Wow! 33 people have voted already??! You guys are amazing! :grin:

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I value my life - that's what keeps me at it. With my family history I want to do everything I can to reduce risk of premature dying.

5. BadCanadaJoke

A most valid reason indeed!
    Anything less intense, anyone?

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Introvert. Definitely an introvert.

As for sports? Fun to play them, although I'm horrible at track.

7. Jethro702

I have never really worked out either... I'm not terribly overweight but I could probably stand to lose a few pounds. Trying to find motivation is kind of hard for me also. Though recently I have been taking the dogs on small walks through the neighborhood.... after I med myself up with allergy stuff lol :lol: and sooner I'll have to start doing it earlier in the am or later in the evening since it is starting to get hot here. What I find helps me is knowing that I'd be helping myself... not only look better but feel better. Main goal is not to be "skinny" but to be fit and healthy. Yes, I do want someone to go do this with me, but my family has been uncooperative with it.. kinda brings the spirits down but I have been doing okay by myself... I might look for workout groups in the near future.

8. Trentacles

I'm pretty competitive, so probably that aspect. If it were just me swimming alone with no competition I probably wouldn't take it as seriously though i would still swim.

Also, I like my body being really toned from it (edit: lol though reading that back makes me feel superficial).

9. BadCanadaJoke

Bumpity Bump Bump

10. Rumpletubb

I usually work out 5 times a week, more if there's the time. I prefer running, boxing and heavy-lifting.
    I am definitely extrovert, I thrive in social interaction. Though, I love quality me-time aswell.

I started working out when I was 17, started boxing. Trained 10 times a week, both gym and boxed.
    Since then, i've had periods of no training at all but my motivation always catches up.
    Stronger than ever right now due to boredom and my last job. Lacking in cardio though, smoking isn't the smartest decision I've ever made.

11. BadCanadaJoke

That's so cool! :slight_smile:

What made you want to take up boxing when you were 17?

12. me123

Whoa now, don't go criticizing college athletics. A lot of athlete's out there who are lucky enough to get some money to go college have put in hours on hours of hard work and given up many things in their life. This money isn't just handed to them. Also, many do it to be able to get a good college education. It opens opportunities that they may not have had. There are academic scholarships, music scholarships, humanitarian scholarships, etc out there too for people who have put the time into those areas. And a lot of college athletes are very good about giving back to communities, especially at the big schools. Going into hospitals, running camps for underprivileged kids. I understand your frustrations with professional athletes, especially being an educator with a pay of next to nothing, but college athletes are held to much different standards. And even then, women's professional sports...they just play for the love of playing, because they probably make close to what I do. I was extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to play college athletics, so lets not go bashing it for no good reason.

Anyways, I workout once or twice everyday, cardio, free weights, etc. And I am an introvert.

13. Rumpletubb

I tried Taido before as 15 and the fighting element seemed fun but not enough. So I tried the more demanding boxing and thrived! The pure, raw feeling of man against man is amazing, and I am quite talanted, so my progress were amazingly fast.
    I also enyoj the part of boxing that makes it more of a gentleman's sport. Plus, it's like chess with two bodies and I can take a punch :icon_wink
    Becides that, it is an extremely fun way of exercising!
    I strongly recommend it, especially to introvert and/or insecure people. You feel much more confident the more you learn and you interact very little with others, but you still have to learn to trust them when you sparr or hit the mitts.

Cheers!

#33 Rumpletubb, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  14. KazTastic

Introvert, and a hater of sports.

I used to swim as a child, I did kickboxing when I was 13-14, and I've been walking around places since I was 15, but exercise has always been a chore.

Unfortunately, it's taken a toll on me (my eating disorder hasn't helped either), and now I weigh more than double what I'm supposed to.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rarely work out/Introvert.

I do get exercise, but I don't do the big "work outs" that men's health magazines have.

Actually, my favorite exercise is a good, brisk sit. :lol: That failing, I like swimming, because at least I can lie down while exercising. :lol:

16. I work out by lifting weights and hip-hop dancing.

I'm a total extrovert. As reference, I can go up to someone and easily talk to him/her.

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Introvert bordering on ambivert at times. Athlete's foot is the closest I have ever gotten to being an athlete. :lol: I was immensely active during my childhood, immensely sedentary during my teen years, immensely active during my early 20's (I exercised like a freak), and somewhere in-between in the years since. I currently hike several miles every weekend and do some simple calisthenics (somewhat irregularly). I can't run anymore like I used to because of a bad knee.

18. SheWhoHasNoName

My motivation to work out is to take care of my body because when I'm older my brother will most likely need a transplant.

19. Stewbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me I work out everyday and I'm an introvert. My motivation is mostly food, I like to eat and I love things that don't even register on the healthy food scale, but I have to keep my weight in check for the Army so I work out everyday which allows me to not watch what i eat.

20. me123

My motivation is I want to like what I see when I look in the mirror and be confident about my body. I also enjoy it and want the reap the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.