What languages do you speak or want to learn?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aldine, Apr 17, 2014.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    English and Drunk Spanish. Seriously. My high school Spanish comes back relatively fluently and convincingly when I've got some cerveza in my system.

2. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I speak Spanish, English, French, and am learning Gaelic, German, Russian and BSL.
    I also really want to learn Italian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese, Zulu and a few others.

3. BelleFromHell

I hate the very smell of alcohol alone, but if consuming it made me speak another language fluently, I'd be an alcoholic.

(Just kidding! Please don't come to my house, underage drinking police. :lol:slight_smile:

4. Projectfabulous

I speak English (my native language) and French pretty well. I'm learning Korean (I know the alphabet and can read/pronounce it pretty well).

I really want to learn Chinese, German, Spanish, and Portuguese (in that order).

5. Cas

Cas

I speak Spanish and English, but I wouldn't mind learning French and German, or Danish.

6. Weekender

I'm a native English-speaker, and I can understand German well enough when it's being spoken to me. Lived in Germany for a while and took classes later, but I'd really love to learn Welsh and French!

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Haha I know Finnish is incredibly difficult to learn for English-speakers (or speakers of pretty much any language except maybe Estonian or other Finno-Ugric languages that are spoken by only small remote groups of people). That challenge is part of the appeal though! :lol:

I love cases, I hate the fact that English doesn't have cases, whereas Finnish has an astronomical number of cases. Having studied Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, and German, I at least have a clue about what a case is and how cases function, unlike most idiot English-speakers! :la:

I remember my grandfather used to call up our relatives in Finland, and he would talk to them in Finnish, it sounded so weird yet beautiful. I wish I had asked my grandfather to teach me Finnish as a child, so I could have native-level fluency, since it so difficult to learn as an adult.

But it was beautiful enough that J.R.R. Tolkien taught himself Finnish, and it inspired his Elvish languages.

I actually have two copies of the Kalevala, one in Finnish, the other in English. I would love to be able to read the Finnish version!

Sadly it is true that Finnish is not a very useful language from a practical standpoint, Finnish is the language I would want to learn for fun. Finnish is just such a cool unique language. Plus I would want to get in touch with my roots, I love what little I know of Finnish culture. Jean Sibelius's Finlandia is one of my favorite pieces of music!

But instead for now I'll probably be focusing on learning some Spanish and improving my Russian, since they are much more useful languages, both in terms of international relations, and in terms of local usefulness and job opportunities right here in New York City (with large Hispanic and Russian populations). I might also try to brush on my German too.

I've studied so many languages, yet I haven't really mastered one (except maybe Latin, I'm still quite good at Latin despite not having taken a Latin class in four years). One regret I have is not taking French in high school as a second language along with Latin, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule. :***:

#47 Rakkaus, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. Notsoshure

I speak Norwegian, and English. I would love to learn some German.

Really cool that you`d like to learn Norwegian, not something i hear every day XD

9. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I find it so interesting whenever someone wants to learn finnish - really dont get that a lot! Kalevala is written in such old language, it is hard to read even as a native speaker.

Finnish is hard to learn yep! Estonian is quite similar to it, so I can understand some bits when I go there. I have a friend who is estonian, but we always speak english so that we can fully understand each other.

Quite good amount of people moved to America (and Sweden) from Finland, so I am guessing your grandfather was one of them? :slight_smile:

10. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I speak Russian, English and Lithuanian. I would love to learn French and Spanish. ^^

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    English is my native tongue. While I did take French for two years in high school and one year of Latin (though my magister said we were pretty much at a Latin III level by the end of the year); I don't remember much.

Would love to be fluent in Spanish, Latin, Greek, French, Arabic, Norwegian and Icelandic to name a few.

12. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I speak English and a bit of French and Icelandic. I would really like to learn German though.

13. aldine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How difficult has been Icelandic for you compared with French?

14. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I fluently speak American, err, English, and French. I can hold a couple minutes worth of conversation in German or Russian and I'm currently focusing on learning Swedish and German, Russian is so much fun though, just hard to self-educate. I would love to learn how to at least speak Mandarin :astonished: My friend is trying to convince me to learn Welsh, but.... meh

15. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Greek, English, French - fluently.
    Also a bit of Spanish and a bit of German but mostly the basics.
    Also know the Cyrillic alphabet and some Russian words.
    Also did Latin and Ancient Greek but I doubt I still remember anything.
    Yes, I'm a language geek. :slight_smile:

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    English (native), German (okay), French (okay) and little bits of many other languages. I'll be happy when I'm fluent in the German language. Anything else is a bonus. Honestly, I need to work harder on my English grammar... despite this being my first language xD

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Speaks: English, A bit of Spanish.

Would like to speak: Greek, Russian. (Currently learning Greek. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

18. lmwilliams

I can speak in English and French, I can have small conversations in German, or go to the doctor, and I have a few words of Spanish and Italian. Some religious Hebrew even though I am an atheist

19. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I speak English and Bengali and Hindi and I know bits and pieces of other languages from India. It's actually kind of cool living in a country where almost every state has a separate language or dialect, even though it can get confusing sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Icelandic has been quite a bit more difficult to learn than French for me, but I personally think that it sounds better.