1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "do I pass" thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Just Jess, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Based on my profile picture on my profile page, what gender would you say I am?

2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thank you! That pic was taken on day 183 of HRT. Time flies when you're having fun! It'll be here before you know it, CG (and everyone else). (!)

I also hear you on the hair growing... my last guy haircut was in Feb. I've had a few trims since then so I don't grow a mullet as my hair grows out but it feels like it's taking FOREVER!

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2016 at 12:23 PM ----------

Definitely look like a dude to me, based on your avatar. Your pic on your profile is "mostly young guy" but the lipstick says "chica." Looking good!

#2282 MsEmma, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! That's sort of what I was trying to do; masculine with a hint of femininity.
    I have to say as well that you're looking great! I remember one of the first pictures I saw of you and that seems like a million years ago - you've come so far and I'm really proud of you.

4. Duane

Duane Guest

I put my picture in my profile. I just want to find out if there is anything I can do pre-T to help me pass. I feel like I look male to me sometimes, but no matter how much I believe it I always get called by female pronouns or words.

So if you saw me would you think I was a man or woman? I think also my body shape not even taking into account my boobs is feminine(well meaning people have told me I was "blessed" with a nice hour glass shape), but I am working on some of that with diet and exercise. I think a lot of my butt and hip issues is because I let myself get over weight and have poor posture, so I have a chicken butt. I almost feel this post is a mistake, cause, dysphoria is making me want to cry. Anyways, please be honest and if you think there might be a way for me to make my face less feminine let me know, (before you say it my hair is already much shorter then the picture, like buzz cut.) I hope to get on T someday but I don't hold much hope that it will happen very soon, hopefully next year sometime, but who knows. I feel like the doctors in my area are just sending me on a wild goose chase of go see this doctor, then this doctor then... :/

#2284 Duane, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2016
  5. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding making your face look more masculine: Have you ever tried male contouring?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVzQrCEGgo

#2285 RavenWing, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. Duane

Duane Guest

I have seen some makeup tutorials done by drag kings actually.

Thank you for the link, it was a little more everyday masculine than some of the drag kings tend to do for stage purposes. I have done some contouring, but I still always seem to get gendered female by everyone even people who know I am trans, they just don't care. The only person who genders me correctly in my world is my son.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Duane: Like buzz cut? I can't see the picture but a buzz cut pre-everything does no good to any FtM. Buzzcut = butch or punk chick at best. Probably let it grow on the top so it is more undercut-ish. Actually you don't need that short hair. My hair was about slightly shorter than Harrys in HP4 and it worked.
    Workout will masculinize your face.

8. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_sad: That sucks. I'm 13 and even I understand that some people are born in the wrong body. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, people should be able to respect and care about the real you and who you are on the inside. Just because you were born in the wrong body doesn't make you any less of a man. I respect your pronouns and who you are, sir'. I hope that you can get on T and that you can get whatever surgery you need to soon. Stay strong!

9. Cinis

Cinis Guest

No, he doesn't have a buzz cut. Decent hair there straight from the passing 101 handbook.
    (also undercuts don't always work anymore because a lot of butches run around with that hairstyle nowadays and it doesn't masculinize their face at all..but it depends on the undercut of corse)

I'd agree with your facial shape being the problem.

On a positive note your eyes and eyebrows look very masculine to me. So with a little help like raven suggested your face should pass fine.

10. Duane

Duane Guest

Sorry an ex-friend (who is mad that I am not a cis straight person "anymore", we had a fight last night) figured out my password yesterday evening and did something a 10 yr old might do. My picture is back in my profile now.

Anthracite- Yeah I am letting the top grow out actually. I'm still working out what my look actually is. I'm not a kid and don't really want to look like one (though I am pretty sure I look like either a kid or a girl cause I don't look my age), but I am not very old either, though there is some graying happening. Yup and I am doing the working out, but just got back into it.

RavenWing- Thank you :slight_smile:

11. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are very much welcome! :icon_bigg Good luck with your transitioning journey! (*hug*)

12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You look great to me :slight_smile: The only advice I can give would be the same advice I give everyone: try some false lashes/eyeliner, and contouring, if you'd like. Love the peom dress, by the way :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2016 at 07:58 PM ----------

Sweet holy Jesus :grin: You look amazing :slight_smile: You definitely pass better with the beanie/shorter hair, but you still pass pretty well with the long hair. You could try some ftm contouring if you wanted, but it's not really necessary.

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2016 at 08:01 PM ----------

Woah, what a transformation :grin: You look amazing!

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2016 at 08:03 PM ----------

I'm not sure, to be honest. In some pics, you look more feminine, others, more masculine, and in one, you're doing a Frank cosplay which is totally awesome, by the way :slight_smile: I'd say fairly neutral overall, gender-wise, leaning towards masculine.

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2016 at 08:08 PM ----------

Hey, I'd love to help you out, but I can't find your photo on your profile. So yeah, sorry about that :slight_smile: Sorry to hear about your friend being an asshole.

#2292 ForNarnia, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  13. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Tough.

I'd say you lean female, but DAMN those eyebrows! You pass the androgyny test with flying colors.

14. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figure this is the best place to ask, but I was wondering, I'm afab and I'd like to look more neutral. I currently get a lot of "sirs" and people seeing me as male. I have my hair really short right now (#3 sides and a little longer on top, I'm thinking of letting the top grow out, while keeping the sides short).
    I'm not a huge fan of makeup, but if there's something I'm overlooking that'll maybe make me look more neutral.
    I have a few pictures in one of my albums if anyone has any thoughts.

15. Smores

I think growing out the top would definitely help. Also, consider making your eyes seem bigger (with concealer maybe) or your jaw seem softer? I'm not good with makeup but those are my thoughts.

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I'm trying to pass as male in some of my photos on my profile. What do you think? (I know, they suck, but still. It's in the album 'stuff')

#2296 ForNarnia, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  17. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello, I lurk more than post on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on whether I pass as male. I uploaded a photo to my album.

18. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd say so :slight_smile: You remind me of Benjamin Burnley, actually :slight_smile: Looking good

19. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Vincentt:
    I fully agree with ForNarnia and can't deny the similarities to Ben Burnley. I would like to add that I would estimate your age at 16.

20. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Whoa, really? I'm actually 20, but I suppose looking younger is better than looking older, haha

Thanks for the responses, guys.