1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlsnotgrey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I've just started it, but I got already hoocked, even if translated, Melville is such a good storyteller. Moby Dick is my favorite book, so I really would like to read others things by Melville and I found this.

2. Nord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading currently War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (which is taking me, to say the least, a VERY LONG TIME lol..), on page 1200 and something out of 1800 in something. Also finished Seventeen Contradictions of Capitalism by David Harvey, and now starting the Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown (someone here recommended this book actually to someone else but I thought it would be an interesting one for myself!). Now that I'm back in school though my reading time is probably got to drop quite a bit again. I'm more of a vacation/break reader :icon_wink

3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very glad to hear that. :grin: I've always wondered whether (most of) Melville's novels would be consistent in style, themes with Moby-Dick [not that I've read it, but based on it's reputation, at least.] Actually thought of reading the latter a couple months ago, but was a passing interest. .___.

4. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's so great, really, I recommend it :slight_smile: I loved it so much, besides the Italian translation was by Pavese, a great Italian author, so I guess that for once I had not lost anything reading something not in original language.
    The entire story is great, it takes a bit time, but it worth it, really.
    (I love Starbuck and Stubb, their squabbles remind me Spock and McCoy :lol:slight_smile:

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So long as one gets anything pleasurable out of reading a translation, wouldn't say anything is lost. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Don't know if I'll get around to it this Winter, but may try again during the next one or preceding Autumn.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    David Albahari, Learning Cyrillic.

It is a collection of 20 short stories by the Serbian author.

7. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Found a few Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone books at the flea market. Started reading Robot Commando. So far I am not impressed.

8. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    The ingredient list to cheez its...it never ends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Japanese Design

10. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are some translation that are awful (I'm quite obsessed about) if translation is badly written or can't pass on the style of the original, you haven't read the same book that the others have. Sometimes the translation lost a lot because the translator isn't good or because it's impossible (I wrote my term paper for the final exam of high school about translation problems, it's such a interesting theme and I could talk about for hours:lol:slight_smile:.
    btw you're right, i couldn't read so many books in original language, but I would like to do someday, unfortunately I'm so bad with languages :lol:

I hope you will enjoy it :slight_smile:

11. Engine97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A Night to Remember- By Walter Lord
    The absolute and complete story of the sinking of the Titanic.

12. bookaholic20

bookaholic20 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ashenwinter by mike mullin

13. ChameleonSoul

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

14. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

right now the only book I'm reading is "lord of the flies" and i don't know how i feel about it. My favorite books are "Water for Elephants" by: Sara Gruen and "The Glass Castle" by: Jeannette walls.

15. Jellal

Death Note manga. Beautiful art that's surpassed my expectations. I daresay it looks better than the anime, and I thought the anime looked really slick.

16. MadBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've finished reading Under a Falling Star by Jae and The Gravity Between Us by Kristen Zimmer

Under a Falling Star
    Falling stars are supposed to be a lucky sign, but not for Austen. Her new job, as a secretary in an international games company in Portland, OR, isn’t off to a good start. Her first assignment—decorating the Christmas tree in the lobby—results in a trip to the ER after Dee, the company’s second-in-command, gets hit by the star-shaped tree topper.

Dee blames her instant attraction to Austen on her head wound, not the magic of the falling star. She’s determined not to act on it, especially since Austen has no idea that Dee is practically her boss.

The Gravity Between Us
    At just 19, Kendall Bettencourt is Hollywood’s hottest young starlet with the world at her feet – but behind the glamour and designer dresses is a girl who longs for normal.

Payton Taylor is Kendall’s best friend since childhood, and the one person who reminds her of who she really is – her refuge from the craziness of celebrity life.

With her career taking off, Kendall moves Payton to LA to help keep her sane. But Payton is hiding a secret that could make everything ten times worse. Because to her, Kendall is more than a best friend – she is the only girl that she has ever loved.

Just as they need each other more than ever, they’ll have to answer the question of where friendship stops and love begins? And find out whether the feelings they have can survive the mounting pressure of fame…

both books are worth reading and I recommend you guys to read it :thumbsup:

17. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

The Martian
    by Andy Weir

Everything I've been told about this novel has my inner space geek squealing in anticipation already. Hopefully it lives up to my ridiculously unrealistic standards. ​

#417 Rawrzilla, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading the synopsis of the novel it does sound like an interesting read. :slight_smile:

19. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I know right? And (as if the premise wasn't already interesting enough) after reading that the author bent over backwards to make the narrative of the book as realistic and grounded on existing technology as possible, I couldn't help but fall head over heels for this book even before turning the first page. *Sigh* Here is hoping expecting so much out of it won't ruin the story for me.

Sidenote: I just discovered there's already a movie for The Martian in the making, set to be released on November this very year. Woah, that was fast. Directed by Ridley Scott (uh oh, I love him, but the last time he dabbled with space exploration was with Prometheus and... yeah) and starring Matt Damon (and the last time I saw you Mr. Damon was on Interstellar and... yeah). This is an interesting combination, to put it mildly.

#419 Rawrzilla, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  20. FightingShadows

Admit One by Jenna Hillary Sinclair. It's pretty good. I like it a lot.
    I'll probably re-read some old favorites after I finish it. Possibly The Adventures of Tom Sawyer?