1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly is physical attraction?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's kind of like masturbation. You enjoy the feeling of it, but you're not attracted to your own hand. Sex is mental as well, that is why a good fantasy can turn you on.

2. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope I'm not gay. What a boring life that would be.

I hope I'm not straight. It would be a boring life if I was.

Are those statements offensive? Maybe a little bit. I understand you probably genuinely feel like sex adds interest to your life and that is great, but not everyone feels the same way. To imply that asexual people have boring lives or can't form intimate meaningful relationships with people is, well, kind of hurtful and a little bit ignorant. I'm not trying to be mean. It's just when I read stuff like that, "oh Lord no I wouldn't want to be asexual, what a terrible fate! Forever alone!" it's just sort of like an unfair slap in the face.

OP. I've never felt sexually attracted to anyone (sexual attraction means I would fantasize or be interested in sex with that person). Physical attraction (as in, I wanted to be physically closer to a person) happens very rarely for me. Aesthetic attraction (as in the way a person looks piques my interest) happens on occasion. Romantic attraction (the person inspires thoughts of wanting to be in a romantic relationship) never happens for me. Intellectual and emotional attractions happen often.

I just kind of break all those different types of attractions down, whereas I think for some sexual people it's sort of a package deal. But I could be easily emotionally and intellectually attracted to someone and have a platonic relationship that would include mutual love (more like agape or unconditional, philia or friendship love as opposed to eros or romantic love/desire). I identify as asexual.

If that resonates with you then maybe research asexuality a little more. How you identify is ultimately up to you. I just didn't want you to necessarily write off asexually because you have the misconception that we lead boring and unfulfilling lives.