1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who deals with more homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Mar 26, 2014.

?

Who deals with more homophobia?

1. Gay looking straights

62.1%
  2. Straight looking gays

37.9%
  1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    "Straight-looking" gay people or "gay-looking" straight people?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Gay looking straights no doubt, unless if the straight looking gay either came out or was outed. The thing is, you take it alot more personally if you're gay.

3. Foster

Not sure, but I get allot of shit because I'm a girly lesbian. I've had people be completely confused/upset at the fact that I'm gay but "don't look masculine enough to be gay". I try to explain to them that my style and gender identity are completely separate from my sexuality, but I find that those stereotypes aren't quick to fade. They use the way that I look/dress to deny my sexuality and not take it seriously.

I do think both groups have it tough though.

4. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I voted straight looking gay purely on experience... I tend to hear a lot of people's homophobic comments because they think i am straight.

5. IsThisAName

I think gay looking straights do, but I could be wrong. I kind of speak from experience because in middle school and high school I truly, truly believed I was straight, but I got bullied a lot because people assumed I was gay because of my appearance back then. Even though I'm not straight, I feel like I experienced that kind of discrimination that gay looking straights experience. People treated me just as if I was gay, even when I denied it and insisted I was straight, so I basically experienced homophobia similar to any LGBT person.

6. 19EmKay90

People who fit the stereotypes get bullied. It's hard to bully someone who will just fight you for giving him abuse and must bullies aren't looking a fight. They're just looking an easy target to bully.

7. Nikky DoUrden

What I was thinking!
    If you're an "easy target" bullies will go for it.
    But I don't think someone big poking with muscles will ever get bullied no matter what his orientation is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Growing up it was whoever looked gay or acted gay that got assaulted. Now that I'm in a different place and time, the homophobia is just verbal. Just recently, a co worker complained about a female relative of hers who cut her hair in a butch haircut and is a dyke. I told her not all lesbians have butch haircuts, and not all teenage girls with butch haircuts are lesbians. She said, "Oh, I meant the dyke lesbians." According to her the "dykes" are only the masculine lesbians, and the feminine ones are the "bitches".

9. Ben

Ben

Homophobia tends to be aimed at gender expression rather than identified sexuality.
    Research on homophobia almost exclusively uses LGBT populations, so there's hardly anything out there to show how often straight people are the subject of homophobic bullying.

10. LiquidSwords

I suppose "gay looking" straight people probably get more homophobic insults since strangers might identify them as gay, which they wouldn't with "straight looking" gay guys. But I guess homophobia can't really hurt so much if you're not actually gay?

Also, being a "straight looking" gay guy means you get to hear a lot of homophobic opinions, albeit not directed at you, because people assume you to be straight. I've heard horrible things said about gay people around me because people don't realise I'm gay.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Gay looking straight .
    Some of us straight looking gays fly under the radar and only if we come out as gay or lesbian we get some hate . I have gotten crap online about being a femme lesbian and down right hate from straight men to being called a spoiled brat .
    I think gay looking straights are easy to spot .

#11 stocking, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014