1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Atheist Homophobe's Excuse

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Realistically, noone has a good reason to be homophobic, but what does one who does not have a religion have to carry the "right" to be homophobic?

2. BelleFromHell

Well there's really no GOOD reason to be homophobic, but I couldn't imagine an atheist being homophobic. You really have no arguement without "God" this and "Bible" that.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

I'm sure there are atheist homophobes out there, I just think they don't really have a specific reason why besides thinking that gay sex is "eeky".

#2 BelleFromHell, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Hi.My dad is an atheist and considers homosexuality a sexual perversion.He has mellowed a bit.But I went through hell when I came out to him at 19.Not all atheists can be boxed together.There are awesome atheists and not so awesome atheists.True,atheists often tend to be moral.However,the term atheist itself simply means lack of belief and therefore does not take a moral stance.A moral stance position can be applicable to a label such as secular humanist though,and many atheists are secular humanists in some sense without calling themselves sexualr humanists necessarily.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:03 AM ----------

Apologies for the typo

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Atheist' is no more synonymous with 'intelligent' than 'religious' is with 'brainless'. Never assume that just because someone has no faith they can't be an idiot.

Let's see, off the top of my head I can come up with:

-It serves no biological purpose
    -It makes me uncomfortable (the 'icky' argument')
    -It goes against 'traditional' family values
    -It's hard to explain same sex relationships to children (it ISN'T, but you know, I'm coming up with arguments here)
    -It encourages non-traditional relationships among children
    -AIDS

There are loads of arguments that don't rely on god. Usually they involve tradition, a faulty grasp of biology or the 'ick' factor. As I say, they aren't GOOD arguments, but then there aren't a lot of 'good' arguments anyway.

5. Should have rephrased a certain sentence and I agree with Ellia.I did not mean for it to be interpreted that way and was in a rush.My father would most probably disagree to an extent, however.I have a feeling I know how he would attempt to do it as well,but never had a proper discussion with him about it(and we often disagree).In any case,there are many theists around that would be considered ''intelligent'' and being an atheist or theist is not indicative of intelligence or lack thereof.I am attempting to challenge my position at the moment(yet again) funnily enough(not about to specifically label it either).Will see where all of this leads.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Sorry,should have specified the word ''it''.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ehh.... Some will argue it's not natural because it doesn't (appear) to make evolutionary sense.... but... nahhhh...

7. Ravi-VIXX777

I can only think of it being unnatural. But the problem with that is, who gives them authority to decide what 'natural' is. So there isn't any legitimate reason an atheist would be a homophobic besides a homophobic upbringing.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe they think it's harmful in some way?

I know some people seem to think all gays are promiscuous (which of course is wrong) - and while I don't judge, I think it's generally not good for a person to be too promiscuous.

Plus, some people just can't imagine someone feeling differently from how they feel, and because they can't imagine being satisfied with the same gender, they assume gays are settling for second best due to emotional issues. (Asexuals get this even more than gays. So many people can't wrap their mind around the idea that I simply don't desire sex, and therefore don't miss it.)

9. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

My dad is an atheist and is biphobic.

He doesn't think it's real.

So I guess a homophobic atheist may not believe homosexuality is real.

10. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the prudent expression of their beliefs. That is why they have a "right."

Whether they have a "good reason," however, is a separate question. And no, they do not.

11. Littlehawk98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend's dad is an athiest and homophobe, he says that homosexuality is not they key to being a "perfect human being"... This coming from the man who is morbidly obese, both of his sons do drugs and one is in jail. And is divorced because he was abusive. Yeah, perfect human being alright.

12. Hehe my dad is even more biphobic than he is homophobic...Littlehawk-that's some hectic stuff.While I may not fit into the gay culture all that well and do not personally like the idea of promiscuity,I do not ultimately see how someone should be against homosexuality,since it is ultimately a subjective experience. While stereotypical aspects do exist to a certain extent,ultimately each homosexual is different.Some are just gay and do not engage in a gay lifestyle at all for instance,just stick to being single.Others have a long-term faithful relationshp and do not feel the need to marry(yes if you find the right PERSON then that is possible for gays as well as heterosexuals).Besides is ''unnatural'' not subjective in any case and is it ALWAYS bad thing?Its all about perception,besides many ''norms'' of society are ''unnatural'' in my opinion.Who has the right to decide what is natural or not?Society?Doctors?Philosophers?And how reliable are their perceptions?Do we not all have flaws and misinterpret regardless of status/intelligence?Are we not human after all?Besides as an example there are people qualified in a certain field that make a complete mess of things and others that are less qualified that make less of a mess of things hehe not always the case true,but it has happened.More often than we would like to admit.This is all just my personal opinion of course.

13. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't need religion to be moral

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 09:06 AM ----------

Boom...think you nailed it

14. Pottenkind

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The thing is, it totally makes sense for me in a evolutionary sense..
    Evolution needs a way to counter overpopulation. :rolle:

That aside, I know a lot of Atheists that want NOTHING to do with gays and/or transgenders. Because they simply don't understand it.. While I know people that follow a religion and are perfectly fine with gays.

I think it's part upbringing, part religion and a part of how open that person is to things "different" than him/her.

15. Cass

The thing is people find reasons. Religion or lack there of doesn't make a good or bad person or make a moral person at all. Like when people talk about gay marriage and abortion or other things there are religious and non religious people on all sides. Just so happens that religious arguments come up the most .

16. I am confused about religion...oh no...being too open...but yeah...thats what lack of nicotine does...Used to have more fixed opinions...but I keep challenging them all the time...so not really sure where all of this will lead...

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:48 AM ----------

Not the same person as a few years ago I suppose...

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:58 AM ----------

Not really confused...just possibly going in a different direction...and its freaking me out a bit...worldview seems to be changing in general over the past while...all rather overwhelming...

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Overpopulation is countered by predation or lack of resources. Not self-suppression of reproduction.

Think about it - even if it benefits the population not to get too big, whichever traits make a person less likely to reproduce will still contribute less to the next generation than the traits that lead to more reproduction.

A better evolutionary explanation would be that maybe having a gay/lesbian family member can give their sibling's children or younger siblings an advantage. Kind of like how many meerkats help raise their younger siblings instead of breeding themselves. This kind of strategy tends to evolve when circumstances are harsh enough that more than two 'parents' are needed for children to survive. It's possible in humans such harsh circumstances happened often enough for homosexuality to remain in the population. (A similar explanation has been suggested for female menopause - why would it be advantageous for a woman to spend such a lengthy period of her life infertile? Because grandmothers gain more reproductively by helping grandchildren survive than by producing more children.)

18. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely, great post. "Homosexuality as population control" arises from a misunderstanding of how selection works.

19. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lot of people just think it's unnatural I guess. Although the word "unnatural" is subjective. And people think it's creepy because of that. Also some people think that it's "not part of our culture" and that it's a "Western idea" which we shouldn't be following and stuff. As most people have said, they aren't really GOOD reasons, but they're understandable.

20. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The first actual record of Homosexuality is in the BCs, I believe the first one was in Egypt in 2500 BC, in Asia(china and the like) it was 600 BC.
    So any idea of it being a western idea is poppycock ^^
    In fact India and Hindu have had a "Third Gender" on "paper" since around 200BC! where it was accepted.
    As for the nature aspect... other members of the Animal Kingdom engage is same-sex relations, so why should humans be different (Dolphins are they only group of Animals to engage in nasal homosexual counters)
    So I guess if someone wants to say it is unnatural, they just have to look at the other inhabitants of the world ^^