1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were u when u found out Santa wasn't real

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Mar 13, 2014.

1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    7 or 8 - I came down and saw my mother and older sister (around 16 at the time) putting presents under the tree. I don't really remember my reaction, but my mum said that I wasn't bothered at all, and just wanted my presents. I guess that shows what Christmas really meant to me - an excuse to get more toys.

2. Foster

My mom is a Jehovah's witness, so I always new he wasn't real >_< They don't believe in santa or chistmas.....or fun......

3. TheUglyBarnacle

I was about 6. I was hospitalised at the time and when my mother gave me my Christmas present she said it was from Dad. I had asked Santa to bring me said gift, not my father, so I realised the truth.

4. PurpleGrey

Had to be fairly young. I can never remember things like this. I don't think I ever fully believed in Santa or anything. When I was very young, my dad told us he'd killed Santa. Why? I don't know. We told our friends at school and made them cry, but I don't remember any more than that.

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to say I was around 7 or 8...I snuck downstairs to get a peek to see if I could see my presents(#greedy) yet. I saw my parents putting out presents. I let them tell my little brother and went along with it for his sake, but I was always not too wrapped up in Santa Claus.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2014 at 10:08 AM ----------

That's mean. My Sunday School never told me that, thankfully. My teacher did probably want to physically beat me though. But that's just because I read this(or skimmed it I was young):
    [​IMG]

before I read this:

[​IMG]

and so questioned her a lot. I really got in trouble when she told me that God creating the world in 7 days may have been his version of a metaphor and I asked her why God would lie to people and commented that it seemed like "a jerk thing to do". She was mad.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    12. yeah, I'm slow. Even when I'm skeptical for awhile (something about matching wrapping paper)

7. apostrophied

Ugh, embarrassingly late, like 11 or something. :O

8. eliza

eliza Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I was around 7.

9. Hexagon

I was ten when I finally demanded an answer, and got one. But I was deeply suspicious about the whole affair, and I'd asked many times before if it was real. And I was lied to.

I won't do santa if I have kids. Presents, sure, but they will be from me. I won't lie to my kids, it isn't right.

10. EatYourRikkios

I was eight and living with my grandparents while my Dad was in Iraq and my Mom was on active duty. She was visiting for the holidays and around seven or eight o'clock on Christmas Eve she and my grandparents sent us up to bed. It was so much earlier than our normal bed time, my twin sister and I immediately started protesting.

As we went up the stairs, we looked at each other, totally confused, and I remember looking back over to banister toward the tree and thinking '...they're putting the presents from Santa under the tree, aren't they?'

The next morning, there were loads and loads of presents, and I figured I was being silly, obviously Santa had brought them. I held onto that for a few ore years, but after a while I'd pretty much accepted it. *shrugs* I remember thinking that it really, really sucked, and why had they lied in the first place? I'd have been perfectly happy to have Santa remain a TV character.

11. lukeluvznicki13

9 - i was wide awake when my parents came to replace my tooth with money. I asked them the next day and joined the dots with Santa and the Easter Bunny.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably when I realized it was my grandfather after he intentionally mispronounced my name as "Kelso"...dressed as Santa for my class.

This was kindergarten.

13. leer

8 my uncle fell down the stairs in a santa suit the noise woke me up so I went to investigate to see my uncle in a santa outfit putting my toys back in the sack mum was stood pissing herself laughing . till she noticed me at the top of the stairs:eek: I was told to go back to bed. she told me the truth next morning but deep down i still believed in him .

14. IsThisAName

Yeah, I was like 13-14. Late bloomer I guess, hahahaha.

15. AlamoCity

Never. Many family members were/are Jehovah's Witnesses. Let's just say I never got to believe in Santa.

16. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I never believed in him because my mom is very religious. I have to admit I missed the christmas atmosphere and having fun the same way of the other children.

#36 FireSmoke, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  17. awesomeness

I actually never believed in Santa, the Easter Bunny, God or anything like that. Maybe it's just me

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christmas lost it's magic when I realised Santa wasn't real

19. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About 8. I went to get a some water in the middle of the night and busted my parents putting gifts under the trees. I was disappointed for like 30 min. But if your getting gifts does it matter who their from? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was somewhere between 12 and 15...don't really remember.

Whenever it was, I know the deal was that I didn't *want* to know if he wasn't real...but it reached a point where it was inconvenient not having the reality squared away (kind of like how some of you dealt with being gay, no?).

I remember talking to my parents, and they had this amazing way of explaining it and "the deception". Basically, they pointed out that Santa Claus is really the spirit of giving...and so he very much *does* exist. But he manifests through people's actions. So when they set out a stocking for me, or put presents under the tree, that *is* Santa Claus in action. I was sold and have been since. I'm one of the few adults I know who still believes in Santa. Of course I believe in a lot of other spirits as well.

But y'know the secondary evidence that they were dead-on? Throughout college, I continued to get a packed stocking in my bedroom on Christmas morning...and despite being up until 2am (not trying to catch them...I was just a typical college student) some Christmas Eves, I never once caught them. It was like they had some magical ability of stealth...well sheesh, yeah, channel Santa Claus and you do get that ability!