1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who can speak/is learning a foreign language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cubiculum, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Im Just Me

I'm working on Japanese currently. I hope to improve a lot before my trip this summer. I'll be staying in Tokyo for 30 days, and Osaka for a week. :slight_smile:

2. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In Spanish Two in 8th grade. Tried teaching myself French, that didn't work out well...

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ich sprache kleine Deutsche :slight_smile:

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Still learning Japanese I have one more year until i'm done .

5. Candace

French, Spanish, and Portuguese :grin: (all very fluent, but English is my native language, which will always be the best).

My mom is from Quebec.
    My aunt (dad's side) is Puerto Rican, and my best friend is Venezuelan. I also took 4 years of Spanish in high school.
    My boyfriend is Brazilian, and if you know one Romance language, the others are super easy to learn.

I can understand Italian and Catalan (I want to learn these soon) and then off to German :grin:

#45 Candace, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took French and Latin in high school, two for the former and technically three for the latter.

Currently, none. But I'd love to take up Spanish, Italian, Icelandic, Russian, Arabic, Norwegian and Greek at some point (including French and Latin again).

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Italian, although I'm not as great at it now due to laziness, and lack of exposure (other than music, I guess). I'm a little beyond basic level with French, but I took it throughout high school, and as for Spanish, I wish I were fluent in it. One day, maybe.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spanish, and I study French. I'm also thinking of picking up Swedish soon, and I want to take Portuguese at uni.

9. 19drummer88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ich spreche deutsch, English, French and I had to learn Latin for my studies

10. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Arabic is my primary language but i also speak english, french and japanese as my secondary languages :slight_smile:

11. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I speak English, Bengali and Hindi but it probably doesn't count as foreign because nearly everyone here can speak at least two out of those three.

12. KnightAssassin

I ........... speak?..... in sign langauge?
    Lol I do the english stuffs cause I have to but I am always working on my partially know german and a blue moon I can busy out some french from childhood

13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a teenager, I had a lot of relatives in Germany and Austria who would periodically come over for visits, so I started taking German because their stories were pretty fascinating. (One of them was a nun who lived in what was then East Berlin and actually did some smuggling!). I took it all through high school and college, wanting to make sure I didn't lose the ability to talk with them, and after switching majors for 3 years, I ended up majoring in German because I had more credits in it than anything else!

Sadly, though, most of the relatives in Germany were older and had very few, if any, kids, and many of them have died. So I have lost a lot of my ability to hold a conversation, because I just never get the chance to use it.

14. Harve

English is my native language, I'm more or less fluent in French but despite having taken it for 6 months, my German is pretty crap. Oh and I understand Scots, if you actually consider that to be a separate language.

15. Nederhorst

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I speak portuguese (my mother language), english and french. I'll start learning dutch, since I plan on maybe moving to the Netherlands. I love that country.

16. EatYourRikkios

I'm proficient, though not yet entirely fluent, in American Sign Language. I know a little German from my Oma and Opa, but not a lot; I'm saving up to get Rosetta stone and start learning either German or Arabic.

17. Tlarkul

One of my lifetime goals is to become a polyglot (someone who can speak at least 5 languages fluently). The languages I know so far:

1) English (because I grew up speaking the language).
    2) French (I'm better at reading it than anything else; I'm trying to revitalise my knowledge in this language).
    3) German (I'm taking a University course, as well as practicing the language on Duolingo).
    4) Italian (I'm learning a little bit of it on Duolingo; based on the fact that it's part of the Indo-European language family, it seems to be easy to learn so far).

But where is the 5th language you ask? I'm hoping my 5th language will be Japanese (Duolingo can teach English from Japanese, but I'm waiting for the other way around; Japanese from English).

18. Neko Daemon

My native language is English, I'm taking my third year of French in school, self-teaching myself Japanese with help from some of my Asian friends, and I know bits and pieces of basic greetings and common phrases in several others such as Russian, German, Italian, Thai, and Hungarian. There are a few others in that last list, but those are mostly just because I know people from countries where those languages are common.

19. Yosia

That duolingo sounds cool ^o^ can you tell me when japan on there ??? ^^

20. 7eye

7eye Guest

No chance; only doing Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese and German as of now.