1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to the ex...finally.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Mar 10, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Sale, I will definitely give it a listen!

So she arranged for us to go to her counsellor this Thursday afternoon...should be fascinating!

I would like your assistance, dear friends, in coming up with reasons why coming out to the kids earlier, rather than later, is important (I can certainly muster a few, but I am open to suggestions!).

2. Jim1454

I was told by a psychologist that kids should be told this kind of information between the ages of 7 and 12. (I think that was called the latency stage, but not sure.) At this age they are old enough to understand about relationships (man and man, man and woman, woman and woman) but young enough that they are still taking their moral cues from their parents. (This may or may not be a good thing in your case...)

If you wait, then you risk them developing a negative outlook on homosexuality based on what their peer group thinks of it.

Other reasons? Well, the most obvious is that you want to have an open, honest and authentic relationship with your kids. Why shouldn't you be allowed to do that?

Remember that telling your kids doesn't mean that they need to in turn tell anyone. The way we put it, they didn't need to keep it a secret on my behalf, but they were also entitled to their own privacy. They didn't need to tell people at school if they didn't want to. In the end, they did, and it was fine. I would think being in Montreal it would be fine as well. But it can be their decision as to whether they share this news with anyone.

The other place that they might be getting a negative vibe from is church. When our church board fired me as the treasurer because I was a 'practicing' homosexual we left and never came back. (And my wife made a very public announcement / condemnation about it as well before the service one Sunday - without the kids present - that made it clear why we wouldn't be returning.) The sooner they get the other side of the story (i.e. their own dad is gay, and he's OK) the better.

Those are my thoughts. Others might also have some reasons.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Amazing how fast she can move on something like this after dragging that divorce out so long...

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! In response to your question, Jim, my youngest is 11 and yes, very much susceptible to influence in the moral sphere. He is an anxious kid in many respects, and my ex is milking that for all it's worth.

I just don't think he is as fragile as she describes him. From what I have seen and heard he is generally cheerful and doing OK in school, which I understand can be a good barometer of his emotional state, although the divorce has affected him the most, of all three kids (my wife just told me today about a fight he was involved in at school, I am again annoyed that none of this was told to me until now for maximum impact).

But seriously, I have been out of the house since April of last year, all that has changed is that there is now a paper making it official, it is not news to him that we are no longer together!

Naturally, he can keep this "family secret" with him as much as he likes, I do not intend to make a big fuss of being gay or insist that everyone know.

#24 greatwhale, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I said before, I guess I feel this is your news and your timeline is all that matters. Although practically, given that you are stuck dealing with your ex for a few years yet...

A big factor is simply this: you are now free to pursue a new relationship, and that new relationship will be with a man. It is probably best for your children to know this ASAP. Admittedly, I suppose it could wait until you have a relationship, but why not just do it now, and get it taken care of?

Point #2: waiting too long to tell might result in hurt feelings. As I recall, your oldest child is roughly high school age. Putting myself in that position, I know I'd be hurt if I learned I was the last to learn, and that I learned a long time after everyone else in my father's life had learned. (For this reason, if your wife manages to get her way on this, you might consider having something on paper, at least an informal letter. That way, you can counteract any things of hurt. You could also counteract your wife if she later on decides to take the "he should have told you sooner! He's a horrible father, and you really shouldn't have to deal with him!")

Point #3: ages of the kids may need to be taken into consideration. But there is no reason why the oldest can't be told. Anyone in high school today is well aware that there are gay people out there. It'll quite likely be a total non-issue, actually. I don't recall how young the youngest is, but even elementary school kids can handle an explanation along the lines of "well, when I get married again, it will be to a man." Or something like that.

6. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    GreatWhale, there is so much wisdom and insight in your posts. Please keep them coming, as you have a very keen way of cutting through the crap and doing so in a loving and gentle manner. Somewhere, there's a very lucky man waiting for you.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think 11 is old enough to be told something. The reality is: he might well have a reasonably good understanding of what gay means, unlike my generation that only understood enough (AFAIK) to know that gay was something guys didn't want to be, and therefore used that label as an insult.

Of course, if he is having issues of some sort, that might take priority. BUT in this case, he should be in therapy of some sort. And at that point, I think it's entirely reasonable for you to have a meeting with the therapist, during which you could tell him or her that you are gay, and that this is something that will need to be dealt with sooner or later.

Although, honestly, I am guessing that none of this is about the children's welfare. It's all about your wife being hateful.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks BMC!

Absolutely right, she wants him in therapy before I come out, I informed her that I am fine with this, but that I need to know with whom and when this will start (it's sad that I even have to remind her of this, I'm his father for crying out loud!). Typical pattern, she acts without telling me then bitches that I'm not an involved parent...real cute!

9. Pete1970

Congratulations on another milestone Great whale. You should be proud of yourself for how you have handled everything. I'm sure you will handle telling the kids with the same grace.

Good luck

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's her answer to this: "you selfish bastard, it's all about what YOU want, why don't you think of the kids for once!" :tantrum:

Gee...I thought I was thinking of the kids...

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing to think about... Because of the range of ages, and the therapy for the youngest, coming out to all at once may not be the best idea. Perhaps get the youngest into therapy, and have that discussion with the therapist, and take it from there.

The oldest could be told now, but told that until it's not news to reach the youngest for the moment, and explain why.

Of course, my view may have limited value, since I've never been married, and never had children. Well, no children but myself, the one who refuses to grow up. But that's another story...

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm trending towards that direction, but I can't burden the two older ones with this, I can just imagine the dynamics at the dinner table, siblings giving each other knowing looks and alienating the younger one. They all have to know at the same time, and be witness to each other's reactions...

What's so great about growing up?...Look what happened to me! :grin:

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess that is a good point.

Of course, you could be evil, and tell the 2 oldest individually in such a way that each thinks he or she is the only one who has been told.:badgrin:

14. mav96213

I think that is wise, that all the kids find out at the same time. That way the older two don't carry around the burden of a secret, which could accidentally spill anyway, which would really hurt the eleven year old that he wasn't included in on the information.

I agree with some of the other posts, I do think that 11 is old enough to understand and accept it just fine. To tell you the truth, 11 is a lot older in today's generation than when we were kids....

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :grin:

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On a more serious note...

If your youngest is having issues that require therapy, that should start ASAP.

And I think you should make it very clear that the coming out needs to happen ASAP after that therapy begins. Your ex wife has dragged this divorce out longer than it should have gone. No one was served by that, except, of course, her lawyer. I don't think it's reasonable to ask you to wait another five years to get this over with. You have a right to start moving towards what's next now that you are fully free of this marriage.

One other thought: coming out ASAP will totally eliminate any chance of one of your children accidentally finding out. Being told is a lot kinder than, say, your oldest child going on a date to a restaurant, and seeing Dad with a guy who is clearly not an associate from work...

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy cow, Mr. Whale! This all sounds incredibly positive and hopeful (I mean, aside from her being a bitch an' all *snerk*).

On the one hand, no, she *should* get no real say in when/how you come out to the kids...it *is* your information. On the other hand, she is one of their parents...and more relevantly, this has now become her information (that is to say information that she now knows), and she spends a lot of time with the kids. So in a sense, she really does have ultimate veto authority and ability to undermine any decision made. Therefore, I think what you're doing, trying to work things out with her therapist, makes *perfect* sense...if the approach devised has *her* buy-in, then to whatever extent she may want to find a dig-the-knife way to bring this up, she may be tempted to think twice or more before acting.

Good luck with everything!!

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @BMC: Absolutely right! My older son does frequent the plateau in the evenings where I sometimes go out, I can definitely see a situation where I could be discovered in a "compromising" position (not that I engage in PDA to any significant degree, but life has a way of forcing things). It's just better all round if everyone knows.

My wife has pretty much told all her confidants that I am gay, she pretty much confirmed this morning, in that triumphant tone of hers that it is an open secret in her circles...so much the better; makes my job easier!

@Annika: This is the key thing, I need her buy-in because I am thinking of the longer game, the upcoming bar mitzvah next year, her support for the kids when they feel less than comfortable about who I am or who I am seeing. She did the right thing in organizing this, hopefully we can work it out.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. And that accidental meeting could happen even without your son frequenting the plateau. It's sort of a cosmic sense of humor, I think, to arrange accidental meetings like your son seeing you on a date with another man...

20. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Proud of you gw! (*hug*)