1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How LGBT friendly is your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Nikky DoUrden

All my schools were not in acceptance mood.
    No one ever came out all those years, only rumors. >.>

2. apostrophied

My school is insanely open-minded, you could have sex with your textbooks and that would be accepted, affirmed, and even celebrated...

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say the LGBT friendly divide is about 60-65%. I'd say a lot of the people who aren't friendly are indifferent, about 25% probably oppose. Most of my teachers support the LGBT community.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's actually pretty accepting. There's only a few people that are extreme homophobes, and the majority are indifferent.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My high school, undergrad school, and grad school (yes even in Kentucky!) have all been very LGBT-friendly.

6. ChameleonSoul

For the most part, my school is pretty tolerant about the LGBT community and supports LGBT rights. We also have a pretty high percentage of students that have same-sex parents. However there is this small group of fanatics whose religion barely covers up their ignorance that always preys on anyone that has any ties to the LGBT community. Unfortunately, the school hasn't been able to take any extreme measures as their attacks are always outside of school.

7. Shadows123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At my school most of the people who are homophobic are in non-honors classes and/or are rednecks so I'd say about 50-60 percent are homophobic at my school.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually okay. Students get in trouble for talking about LGBT stuff in school or on the bus sometimes, but my math and character ed teacher is clearly supportive. She's even had us watch videos about accepting people's sexuality. And when we had to do a project on 'a change we want to see in the world' in character ed, I did gay marriage, and made a poster for it and hung it up in the hallway with everyone else's. However, for a project on 'a controversial issue' in language, I wasn't allowed to do gay rights since it had to be presented to the class and the teacher said it offended people's religious beliefs. :dry:

9. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to a friend of mine who is out to everyone, our school is pretty LGBT+ friendly and accepting given that it's a Catholic, All-male, private school.

10. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's kinda hard to say... Generally, people at my school are becoming more accepting of other people. However, they still don't seem to get that using the word "gay" in the place of the word "stupid" or "dumb" is offensive (probably because no one has bothered to correct them). Other derogatory terms are also still used frequently however. You, of course, still come across those bigoted kids every now and then who are convinced that "gays are going to hell" and whatnot, but the numbers are getting smaller. Sadly, I think it may take a bit more time for transgendered people to be accepted, but not everyone is ignorant on the subject. On a scale of 1-10 though, i'd give our school a 7, as in, "We're getting there, maybe?"

11. Marc9726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've actually recently come out at school and it's been mixed. Everybody in my circles has been completely accepting and just aren't really bothered but quite a few people have been pretty annoying and just generally immature about it though not really particularly homophobic. None of my teachers have ever been homophobic and given some time things should settle down much like it did with the first bisexual person to come out/be outed.

I guess if I were to score it, it would be like a seven maybe six out of ten.

12. eliza

eliza Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not out to anyone at school but it's very obvious that it's LGBT friendly. There is a transguy at my school who is absolutely accepted and some guy and his boyfriend that I talk to occasionally and they're both accepted. There are the usual slurs like "gay", but not towards the gay people, just teasing each other as friends. I'm kind of new to the school though, but so far I haven't met one single homophobic person, everyone is really accepting.

13. Silver Sparrow

My school is pretty LGBT friendly. We have a GSA, and there's not a lot of outright discrimination. There can be some smaller things, like people getting weirded out by another person's coming out, or people outside of my school who assume that just because it is an all girls school that we are all lesbian.

There are multiple people who are out to the entire school, and I don't really ever see them get bullied.

On the negative side, the GSA isn't allowed to put up posters in the middle school hallway, and although we go to some of the health classes, we are only allowed to go to the older kids health classes. But overall I'd say my school is pretty LGBT friendly.

14. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Get me to that school! :lol:

15. Munyal

People at my school vary greatly, depending on the person (I go to a Catholic school). A lot of people are surprisingly hypocritical at times, which is odd. There was yet another case of the "I need a GBF" fervor when I came out, and then people realized I am (surprise, surprise) against Catholicism. My religion teacher tried to convince me to join the priesthood so I wouldn't engage in a "sinful" relationship lol. Everyone thinks she's a crazy fanatic anyways, though. My general group of friends have an odd stance. They go with a "as long as you don't go waving your pride flag near our parents/teachers" stance. It makes sense, considering many of their parents are fervently anti-gay. I will split the friendliness in to two parts. First is the Staff/volunteers/parents of the school, and I would give them a 4/10 on acceptance. I give the student body a 6/10 because people at least have the courtesy to not throw about gay slurs when they know I'm around.

16. Straw_berry

My high school was not LGBT friendly at all, but I think my college is quite a bit more accepting Nyu~

17. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my high school.........ehh let's just say it was friendly enough for a lgbt alliance but not exactly friendly enough to educate others about homophobia

college, it seemed a bit open, no one really said anything about it but was pretty respectful about it.

18. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to an extremely homophobic Christian university. I would get in trouble if I was found to be in a gay relationship. The students are generally unsympathetic and those that do care still think gay people are sinning. Hopefully it will just be one more year and I can get out of this hell hole.

19. Ciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In our university lesbians are not that accepted they always look down on us however gays are very welcome..