1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flubash, Mar 8, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I figure, if you're going to use a label then use the one that fits. If labels don't work, don't use them. Simple as that. People are going to label, everyone likes to find whatever niche they fill.

Words come with meanings. Lesbian means 'woman who likes women.' Therefore, if you're a woman who likes women then you're a lesbian, unless you like men as well, in which case you're bisexual or pan.

2. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels don't bother me.

3. Sorceress of Az

I agree with that sentence.
    I would add that I strongly dislike stereotyping.

4. flubash

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am really enjoying reading everyone's responses. Thank you! They are all interesting and insightful.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think labels are alright if they have practical use and can help you meet other likeminded people, but I don't like when people overcomplicate them or force others into a tiny box.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm ok with them but sometimes I think them too seriously I like them because it let's people know what I like and I know what they like so I'm friends with labels for other people that might be different seems like a lot of people hate them lately though .
    I guess I'm one of those people that fit in the boxes but some people who don't fit in the box or can't figure what they are hate them .

#26 stocking, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's too many labels to be of any use.
    I'd go with vanilla LGBT.

It's likely that if this wasn't a place to help people, I'd be calling many people special snowflakes, end up with about a thousand people calling me "truscum", and go out in a blaze of hypothetical trolling glory.
    But this isn't the place for that. This isn't the "An Gentleman is Mocking You" forum.

The main reason why I'm opposed to these labels? We really don't need to make the path to equality a goddamn maze.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hmmm but I think having more labels wouldn't make stuff differcult because it makes more sense of things and explains a lot but everyone has their opinion I use to think that we didn't' need anymore too but it has been helpful for lots of people . Another thing and this is just my theory I think the reasons why some people can't fit in the boxes and are very confused is because we live in a hetero normative society where being heterosexual is the ideal sexuality if people were allowed to just figure out what they were on their own there will not be so much confusion . Another thing I've noticed is some people's romantic orientation and sexual orientation are not aligned for example a woman labels herself lesbian because she only like women emotionally and sexually but occasionally is sexually attracted to guys and has sex with them and views herself as lesbian still because she thinks she isn't bi enough because bisexuality says your suppose to like both the same when bisexuality in it's self has different degrees and is not black and white you can be bi and only want romantic relationship with one sex more than the other and just like having sex with the other sex . even if it maybe be the same or opposite . So they feel since it's just sexual attraction it doesn't really count I think that's where the term heteroflexible and homoflexible comes from . And they pick the label that they think describes them the most or that they are the closest to .
    I hope i didn't upset anyone with my theory
    Just my 2cents

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I understand where you're coming from, I feel that it's the gender/sexual equivalent of telling someone that they shouldn't identify as Moroccan because it's "special snowflaking," and they should just call themselves African.

10. Keelin

I personally dislike the fact that people will label themselves, and then focus on that label as a singular aspect to their identity.

For example, I am MTF. But as a person, I am so much more. There are so many more aspects to me than my gender alone. It is true that I come on EC in order to explore gender and talk to people like me, but I have other things in my life as well. I know too many people that find a label that fits them, and suddenly they become preoccupied with only talking/thinking about the said label.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Another thing I've seen is the lgbt community as well judges harshly with labels
    Let's take the lesbian community for example . While I was away I came across a lot of bigoted stuff lesbians said about other lesbians . and the rules set for being a lesbian
    One lesbian said femmes can't be lesbians another said femmes are lesbian but if their topping their butch partners then the butch partner is not a real lesbian . butch and butch can't be together . lesbians can't like penetration because if she does even if it's with a woman using a strap on then she is bi . Lesbians who have never been with men are real lesbians and the lesbians that were with men in the past even if they are only attracted to women and did not know it back then their bi . There much more ridiculous rules that I've heard too . I think that it's not the label it's self that strict but the people in that community associated with that label that put strict rules on that label . I like to call those people the lesbian police for if they catch you doing something not lesbian by their standards your lesbian card will be revoked . And this is what makes some people hate labels .
    I also agree with keelin I think i too put way too much importance on it sometimes .