1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to somebody in my school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wonderwhy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. wonderwhy

Hi!
    My name is Sarah and I am currently on exchange in the South (I'm from Europe).
    I recently found out that I was lesbian (even though I am not 100% sure) and since I accepted it, I feel happier than ever. However, I need to say it to at least one person, I don't know why but I just want to tell it. The problem is all my closest friends are back in my home country and I don't want to tell that on Skype or Facebook. So I can't tell them before I am back home. I have few friends here but I don't feel close enough. Also there is this one girl in one of my class who is gay and I kind of have a crush on her. I talked to her a couple of time and she is really nice. She has a girlfriend and she told me that they are 4-5 lesbians at my school. Do you think I should tell her that I am lesbian? I don't want her to repeat that to somebody (I think I can trust her) but on the other hand I want to talk to somebody like me and she could maybe introduce me to some of her lesbian friends.
    What do you think I should do?

Thank you

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    It should be OK to tell her. If you tell her to not say anything to anybody she should respect that and definitely understand if she herself is lesbian.

3. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your friend has probably gone through a stage alike yours. If you politely ask her not to share it, I doubt she would. She'll understand, I'm sure.

Regardless, telling people is part of happiness and life! Share your happiness! Meet new people! It's fine to get it off your chest sometimes.

If you're still unsure, look for some LGBT groups, talk to a counsellor. Maybe that'll help and they can recommend you to some local LGBT groups!

4. Silver Sparrow

I think if you are ready to come out to your friend you should. Maybe also see if your area/school has a queer youth group/GSA/LGBTQ center?