1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you question your orientation first?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by softsprite, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Ruthven

I've never questioned my sexuality, though it has changed a bit. After I realised I was male, a few months later I was watching X-Files again, and I realised that I was drawn to Dana Scully. So I've always had an attraction to guys, but she was the first girl I was drawn to. And then as time wore on, I came upon some more girls that I also felt were my exceptions.

So I went from straight (when I thought I was a girl) to gay, and now I consider myself gay with some exceptions (or another way of saying it: gay, but a little bi).And I wouldn't rule out having some pan in me, cause I think I could probably get with someone whose gender is off the binary, but either way, I have an overall more of an attachment to guys. Though I do also love my few current girl exceptions too.

2. anonym

anonym Guest

Sexuality first. I knew I liked girls since primary school so I assumed I was a lesbian but when I decided it was time to face up to it I started questioning my gender because I didn't feel right as a woman that was attracted to women. That was when I realised I was trans. In the process I have questioned my orientation and thought for a while I may be bisexual but leaning towards girls. I don't see myself in a relationship or even sexually with a guy though so at the moment I identify as a straight trans man (with the occasional man crush lol)

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I've always known I'm a dude. When I was 16, I realised I'm gynesexual.

#23 FireSmoke, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Just Jess

Ditto everything here, except it was making out so there wasn't really a "submissive" one or a "dominant" one.

5. KThomps

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me, not really, I just kind of realized that I had a crush on this girl and I then did some thinking and was like " omg im a lesbian

6. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your comments. I suppose I'm curious about this because I've been a tomboy since I was a little kid. More than a tomboy actually. I refused to wear girl clothes and would have rather gone naked if I couldn't have my boy clothes. And I had crushes on girls from an early age, so eventually I presumed I was a lesbian.

But most of the strong emotional connections I've had have been with straight or bisexual guys because I feel more at home with them--we laugh, have fun, talk about girls, etc. I've also noticed that there is something very skewed about sexual relationships with guys--namely, that there is something auto-erotic about it all, like whatever I get out of it is derived from feeling empathy for the guy. It's almost like I'm treating his body like my own, and that's where the enjoyment comes from. It's more like fooling around with a best friend than actually being passionately sexual. Hence, ordinary heterosexual sex grosses me out, as does anything involving my own naked body. I guess I'm just a giver with either sex. Does that make sense? I don't know what I'm trying to say here, exactly. Just that I worry that being possibly trans or at least not-at-home in my body has determined the nature of my sexual relationships all this time, and I'm not exactly sure where I'd stand if I'd taken on a transition earlier in life. Too late to wonder why now though, I guess :slight_smile:

7. Agathist

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well no because I had crushes on girls, I started to question my orientation when I learned girls' sex drives are way higher than I expected and I was not interested in it, also hated being expected to "wear the pants" in the relationship, do relationships without pants exist? or shared pants? Not very good input sorry, I don't know my gender or orientation yet.

8. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    All responses are appreciated! It's nice to know I'm not the only one still kind of unsure about...well...everything. I get that about the pants in a relationship. I prefer sharing the pants.

9. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I questioned my sexuality first, considering the fact I grew up a total girly girl till the day I realized I never was happy nor confident, I never imagined I would turn out trans* but after coming out as pan I started to notice how much I wanted my chest to shrink my shoulders to broaden, my legs to lengthen and one day I stopped identifying as cis. My name turned into a bullet, my pronouns a mask, my body a costume, and my mind turned into a river.

10. Abbyxo

Abbyxo Guest

No, I identified as female since my earliest memory, like 4 or so. I liked boys around the same time I guess, but never gave it much thought until a little later. Then at 11 I became boy crazy.

11. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never questioned my sexuality, I let it develop and didn't really care about it at all. But yeah, I was aware of my sexuality and attributed a label to it and whatnot, before I even considered my gender identity. I'm struggling a lot with my gender identity, whereas I didn't struggle or care at all about my sexuality, whatever it was, I accepted it. So it's pretty weird, it's hard for me to struggle to understand or accept something, when I'm used to not feeling that way.

12. Emulator

I did question my orientation first, then my gender identity, then my orientation again. But my gender identity has little to do with my orientation.