1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like math?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mysz, Feb 18, 2014.

?

How much do you like math?

1. MARRY ME, OH MATHEMATICS.

30 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. I like it, not crazy about it.

47 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. Bleh. I don't really care much for it.

27 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

49 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. justjade

Meh. It's OK.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first "honors" class I could have was pre-algebra in 6th grade, and it was great since I shared the same set of classmates (who became friends) from middle school up to taking AP calculus in 12th grade. I think it really gave me a good background for going into science and especially chemistry.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I used to like it.. then along came Algebra...

4. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Currently taking Calculus. It's quite a thing.

5. Minamimoto_Fan

Math and I used to be on good terms, but it knows what it did to me last semester

6. Eponine

As a math teacher, I'd say yes.

7. AmiBee

I teach math, so yeah, I like!

8. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could of sworn this thread said "Do you like meth?" for a split second there...but the answer is still no.

9. Yosia

Weeehhhhhh i hate it!! Math is horrible!! I cant do it and it really frustrate and confusing and its the most mean thing ever!! >_<

10. Smoochies

Smoochies Guest

I'm really bad at math.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it. It's really important for understanding things, and yes, you do use it in real life, as teachers no doubt have on a repeating reel in the back of their heads.

Many people give up on maths before it gets into the complicated stuff; the stuff the teacher said you'd use later is for building up more difficult maths, and that has more to it/practical applications. Maths is great if you persevere; too many people think it's worthless junk until (and even after) they can't understand difficult concepts requiring maths. Even logic requires good maths abilities.

12. Harve

I loved maths until the second year of uni, where it stopped doing clever things and instead became obsessed with definitions, focussed on analysing the meaning of axioms and spending hours intricately proving ridiculous things like '1>0'. I don't think it furthered my understanding of what maths can do at all.

So now I don't do it as a separate subject, but using applied maths in economics is quite fun.

13. butterfly dust

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love maths. I'm doing a masters this year, with a focus on commutative algebra (that being the broad area I enjoy the most and would really like to do research in). Really looking forward to getting started on my dissertation.

14. blond

Amen!

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well I guess I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with math. I've always enjoyed mathematics classes (except Geometry!), I liked Honors Algebra freshman year of high school, loved Honors Algebra 2/Trigonometry in junior year of high school, then I lazied out and took Pre-Calc my senior year.

I finally took a year of Calculus in college, and loved it and that was the only class I got an A in that year.

(Generally I performed very poorly in all my high school and college classes due to lack of motivation and total apathy, along with untreated depression and anxiety, I did basically zero studying. Calc was one of the few classes I actually paid attention to.)

In general I love numbers, the way mathematical equations function reminds me of why I love language, especially languages with intricate grammatical functions like Latin, Attic Greek, and Russian. Building an equation is like building a sentence, all the parts have to fit together.

However the caveat to all this is that I HATE geometry, that class in sophomore year of high school was the bane of my existence, proofs and all the other bullshit, my mind is good at numbers but just wasn't built to process shapes.

And while my poor background in geometry had little effect on my ability to succeed get an A in Calculus, I feared taking any further mathematics classes would eventually expose my brain's incapacity for handling shapes.

On the SAT, I got perfect scores on the Critical Reading and Writing sections, but my Math score, while still good and above average, overall prevented me from scoring a perfect 2400- there are lots of geometry questions on the SAT! :eek:

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm neutral. There are a few things I find beautiful and plenty others I struggle with. It's the only way to 'visualise' some things. I don't have any math qualifications beyond high school. I can recap and after a warmup I'll do most high school level maths. I usually work out my own methods to solve a problem and it may seem longer/awkward, but I get the answer easier/faster than the standard method. In school I was often being told to stop doing that. College level maths intimidates me... you never know.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Majoring in math, gonna teach HS math, wanna teach math at a comm. college! So yea...I love math!! e^(iπ) + 1 = 0 and that's...that's just beautiful. No other subject can get so beautiful.

18. Siarad

I love Maths. I have pretty severe Dyspraxia and was therefore dreadful at Maths and hated it and everything it represented to me. Then I got a job that involved teaching it. ... I got the chance to learn it all over again, out of school and it was a revelation for me. Maths is interesting, exciting when it takes off and sheds new light on things.

19. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I think I'm going to fail my test tomorrow, so not really lol

20. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Oh god Math and Physics are like peanut butter and toast....I suck at similes.