1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were you when you knew about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Leonardo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. AKTodd

Didn't really think of myself as anything orientation-wise or in any other way relating to sex until a guy hit on me at age 19. Concluded I was gay at 21 and started coming out a week or two later.

Todd

2. EatYourRikkios

Growing up in a very conservative, sheltered family, I didn't even know what gay meant until I was around 11. That said, hindsight is... definitely 20/20. Until high school, I never really considered the idea that I would be anything but straight. It just wasn't an idea that registered. I never had crushes on guys or anything, nor was I particularly interested in dating, but I figured myself for a late bloomer and left it at that.

I think the first time I came anywhere close to really knowing was when I was fifteen and walking from class with my best friend. We were talking, and I hugged her before we had to split up, like I always did - then I realized I was leaning in again to kiss her. I changed it to a second hug halfway through and ran, quietly panicked for a couple of days, and repressed, repressed, repressed... which worked until very recently. At this point I'm still trying to shake the idea that 'oh, Rikki, you're being ridiculous - obviously this is just a phase/special snowflake syndrome/you imagining things.'

3. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really didn't sort it out until I was 23.

4. AmiBee

I was 12 when I started feeling attracted to girls. This was around the time I hit puberty. Before then, I wasn't attracted to anyone.
    I had that "maybe I'm mistaken feeling (or hope)" until I was around 15.
    I started coming out at 18 and had first sexual experience with a woman at 19.

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't start to consider myself bisexual until I was 15, when I started actually developing feelings for another guy.

6. antimacy

I started questioning when I was 12, came out to myself around 16, started coming out to others around 17 and up. It was a process, and I can't say I 100% know what my sexuality is. I think I'm closer than I've ever been, though.

7. NorthernKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Started questioning at 15 and battled with it for a few months

8. Larry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I knew when I was around 16 after my first same sex experience, but I went on to live a straight life in fear of my family and friends knowing for around 5-6 years

9. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It dawned on me at age 12-14 that I wasn't entirely straight, but I brushed it off, thinking it was just a phase. It wasn't until I was 16-17 that it became clear that I was bi.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I knew who I was at 11 and accepted myself at 13 (14 now)

But now that I think about it when I was 6 I was watching this dancing show and this guy he had abs and he was wearing a vest and had tan skin on he was so sexy and then I remember saying mom he's hot she laughed and I don't think she thought much of it bc I guess it's normal for a straight guy to have a man crush.

11. KThomps

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never really thought about it, but then I fell for this girl and started to question it. I was 14 or so and I noticed my disliking towards guys

12. NotSoPlainJane

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think (in a way) i always knew that i was somewhat bisexual (espcially during 3 grade when I had a small crush on a female classmate) though i only started questioning when I was 12/13 years old and hadn't identified as bi up until a year ago.

13. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I'm the same as you, haha. :lol:

14. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was kind of late in the sexuality department. I didn't really start "noticing" people when my friends started having puppy crushes and dating. When I was about 14, I thought maybe I was bi because I considered some of my female classmates attractive, but I found some boys cute, too, but I decided it was easier not to think about that and just "be like everyone else".

For a few years, I thought I had "gotten over it", but then I went to college and met my first real crush. Ignored that, too, and "played straight" until I finally realized that all of these little "incidents" were forming a bit of a pattern and I actually had to deal with it. I wrestled with all of it for almost a year until I realized what I was actually feeling. It took a while, but I figured out that I could find some dudes aesthetically appealing, but I don't particularly want to have a romantic relationship or do the sexytimes with one. Girls, on the other hand...

I first came out to one of my friends at 21, about a month after I figured it out for myself. He had figured it out right away and apparently thought I had known for a long time. Since then I've told a handful of people, but nobody in my family. I'm pretty sure I won't tell my family until there is a special woman in my life. My mother always asks if I've "got my eye on anyone", and that would be a convenient time to say, "Yeah, actually. There's someone I've been seeing. Her name is *insert girl's name* oh-by-the-way-I-like-chicks-BYE!"

15. Tic Code

I think the first time I began to realize that homosexuality was a legitimate thing out there in the world and not just something juveniles threw around as an insult was when I was 12. I wasn't sure what to make of it, all I knew was that I found it....intriguing xD. I think I had my first inkling of same-sex attraction at 13, to my best friend at the time. But, I wasn't really sure of anything I was feeling because that was when I (along with everyone else) was being overwhelmed by hormones so I just didn't worry about it. Eighth grade
    I was a little more perturbed by it, it was a little more apparent to me (curse you hot eighth grade math teacher!). Through freshman and sophomore years, I kept denying it, which really I think confirmed that I was as much as I didn't want to be. And last spring was when I finally accepted myself and here I am.

16. Silver Sparrow

I knew I wasn't straight when I was about 12 or 13, but I had crushes much earlier (although I was in denial and didn't at the time think they were crushes). I started defining myself as bi at 13, and pan at probably 14 or so, then queer probably also at 14.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. Erivio

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still somewhat battling the idea of it(not really haha),
    But I began to crush on another girl, after all my life not truly being infatuated with another person.
    This was when I was 14,

And for two years I sort of put myself in denial,
    (Ex. Saying I was straight even though I kept getting crushes on girls and not on boys. #logic)

Eventually I came to terms with myself at 17 years of age, and I now have a gorgeous girlfriend who I'd do anything for~<3 :grin:

When I look back now, I notice a lot of clear signs of me being purely not heterosexual,
    But I don't wish to put a label on myself quite yet~ :slight_smile:

19. BadWolf5

I always thought about girls and never realized that that wasn't normal, and I started questioning in about 6th grade

20. Shadows123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always kind of known I am bi, even when I was younger I found things about guys attractive but I didn't really care till I was 12. Around that point I tried to brush it off as a phase but I finally just accepted that this is me and I was not going to deny myself happiness so I came out when I was 15.