1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread for people still in high school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadWolf5, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tyrael

It's awesome! Honest.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some I guess. I'd give the opposite advice: Don't stress out too much trying to seize the day, because if you play your cards right, the best times of your life are still ahead of you. High school is sort of a microcosm where things are very structured and taken care of. On the other side is a wilderness of gnashing teeth, but at the same time, you grow stronger and more capable every day. And someday, you'll be able to carve out a life for yourself that offers everything high school did and more. :slight_smile:

3. BadWolf5

Going into high next year, any advice?

4. Tyrael

I agree, I am not saying high school is the turning point in life or all there is to offer. Far from it, school isn't great in terms of how it's structured or how it functions! However my point is if you take from it everything it has to offer, you will benefit greatly. A good social life during high school isn't guaranteed and for the love of god don't let petty crushes etc ruin school for you.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 05:11 AM ----------

Two things, your screen name is great and so is your profile pic! Oh and other things to do with school. I went to school in Scotland so it might be entirely different over there. However people are the same all over, so I would say if you're not going into high school with friends you already have then try to keep yourself open to making new friends there. Don't let anyone get on your nerves, they aren't worth your time. School is a great time to see what your values are and begin to form your own opinions on people in general. Try to keep an open mind but don't succumb to peer pressure. Most of all, try and enjoy it.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High school is a place where structured and scaffolded learning takes place and should be a place where everyone is protected (even though this is not always true). You are there to learn how to learn more so than any content knowledge.

Independent learning comes in college where your professors generally "don't care". Not that they don't, but it isn't part of their job to really make sure you are in class. Yes the real world is a harsh place, cherish being young and relatively carefree.

High school experiences may vary but I loved mine so much in fact...

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Must. Get. High. G. P. A.

7. Projectfabulous

That is like literally the definition of my highschool career ( and everyone I know).

8. 2112

Maybe if you don't have extreme social anxiety, already had a lot of friends before high school, and aren't gay (or don't care what people think about it).

9. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello friends I am here

10. Etak

I was homeschooled my whole life and am now taking dual credit college classes, so my experience is a bit different. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: All I can say to all the people currently hating high school is that college is sooo much cooler.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but college is even better...

12. Tic Code

I've already been accepted to college, can I be done now....?

Seriously, my senioritis is sooooooo bad xD

13. Tyrael

If you had taken the time to read a couple of comments down you would have seen the one I posted saying I couldn't comment on people who are openly gay in school etc because I wasn't. Thanks for that anyway.

14. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a senior I would say: Calm down. If you mess up on one thing it isn't the end of the world. I didn't really apply myself freshman and sophmore years, and I still got into my top choice colleges. Also, High School is about more than GPA s. This is one of the last times you can join activities for fun and make real friends who will remember you for the rest of your life. Finally, no matter what people tell you, one mistake isn't going to ruin your life.
    On another topic: Senior Slide has begun! 63 days left!
    On yet another topic: some of the guys at my school are sooooo hot! Just wish I had the courage to talk to some of them.

15. Emberblaze

I'm technically still a high school student, buuut, all my classes are at the local college heheh.

And honestly, my seniorits began SOPHOMORE year when I took AP U.S history and my teacher wanted us to outline a chapter three times a week and then take a quiz on it DX the outline had to be 6 frickin pages and the chapters were long as hell! It literally took hours each time

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

Don't slack off! Don't you slack off in the SLIGHTEST! Study! Do community service! Take challenging classes! And don't let your friends distract you because they'll be GONE soon!!!!

Ahem... Sorry, that was my frantic senior mode.

16. BadWolf5

Is it better to be openly gay based on experience?

17. Emberblaze

From my experience, nobody really commented on my orientation. I didn't come out til Junior year, and trust me, I made it very obvious XD. Now, of course reactions vary based on location, buuut, in my school, after I came out, everyone KNEW, but it wasn't really acknowledged.

18. Butterfly16

Butterfly16 Guest

Im in 9th grade, high school is ok I guess

19. itsonlyrelative

Haha my exact mentality right now

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2014 at 03:23 PM ----------

If you have an environment that you feel comfortable and safe to been open in, isn't it the best option to be true to yourself?

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

From my experience it only gets better, especially if you get more involved in activities that you find a passion in.

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only allowed in here for 2.5 more semesters. JUNIORS REPRESENT! And I already have senioritis... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would say have fun, make new friends, meet new people, and get good grades. For some people, high school is awesome (for me it is), and for some people, it is shitty, just depends on the person. I joined FBLA (Future Business Leaders) last year and FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders) and SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) this year, and they are all really awesome to be in! If clubs are your thing, I'd totally join one that interests you. One piece of advice I give to freshmen is to not get caught up in drama, and if someone calls you names or anything, just brush it off and keep doing you.

I've been open about my sexuality since the very end of my freshman year, and most people don't even care about it, really. Even in a pretty conservative area, a lot of people are very accepting, it just depends on your situation. Urban and Suburban schools tend to be more accepting, and even have GSAs and other LGBT related clubs you could join, whereas my area we don't have those. I'd definitely tell a close circle of friends first and be sure they are trustworthy, before you go and try to tell everyone. You could also tell teachers you trust as well.