1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I am here.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by confused mwm, Feb 5, 2014.

1. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in my early 40s. I have been married for nearly two decades. I am a dad to two kids. I am successful in my career and business.

And I am gay.

As a child girls were my friends and boys gave me a sense of wonderment that I couldn't yet understand. Other boys chased girls. I hung out with them.

As I reached sexual maturity, my dates were female. My fantasies were male. I figured I was curious or bi. My hormones kept me going with the ladies.

As I entered my teens and 20s, my relationships were with women. I fell in love with one and dated her through college. I fantasized about men. I fell in love with another and married her. I fantasized about men earły on, through the courtship and engagement, on our honeymoon and later as we conceived our kids. I figured I was bi or curious. I began to suspect it was more.

Through my 30s and into my 40s the friendship with my wife has continued. We laugh. We have intellectual discussions. I love her. We share a life. We share values. But intimacy has diminished. I blamed her. I don't anymore. I blame me. I fantasize about men. I dream of them, but I want just one in my life. A partner. A husband. A soulmate. I know now, as I approach middle age, that this is still possible, but only as an openly gay man.

I'm at peace with what I am. Husband. Father. Gay man.

Nobody knows any of this but me, and now you. I have lurked here for awhile and I know the ups and downs of coming out. I am ready for the ups, but not yet for the downs. I will take my time, but I will make this happen. Maybe not today, this month or this year, but with your wise counsel whenever it may be. You are a wonderful group and I look forward to your advice, your wit, your support and your lending of your ears.

Thank you for reading this.

2. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well written. Thank you for writing this. :slight_smile:

3. burg

nice introduction. welcome man.hope you get good advice etc.

4. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome, and congratulations. I look forward to hearing from you.

5. Spaceman

Welcome! If you've been lurking, you know your story mirrors those of many of us, including my own. We're all on a quest to find the happiness and peace that will never be possible living in the closet.

As you probably know, it's not an easy road. The good that comes from starting to live authentically is tempered by the upheaval and turmoil you'll be creating for yourself and the ones you love.

May I ask what brought you to the point where you are considering taking this step?

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Welcome.

Like many things you will NEVER be ready for it. You will have romantic notions of how it will be but once you do it you will get the reality of it.

Did you ever imagine having kids matched the reality of raising/loving your children?

If we all waited till we were ready all would die alone and childless regardless of sexuality. There are events in life where you have to just do it and learn through the experience of it.

Tom

7. GayDadStr8Marig

Confused: That was just amazing to read. Thank you for sharing your story, it really resonates with me.

As an aside, I'm noticing a number of gay married guys in these forums from Wisconsin? Did we unconsciously start a colony here, or what?! It gives me hope that I'll find some kind of support in the area to have people to talk to, if not in person then phone or something. Faceless/voiceless behind a keyboard is great, but sometimes the human connection when you're really down-and-out can make the difference.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi confused mwm, welcome to EC!

Your nickname belies your state of mind, the way you wrote that intro shows an uncommon clarity of thought and a very direct honesty.

I hope that, through us and your time here, you will find a way to coming out in the best way possible.

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a little uncanny, isn't it? Must be this never-ending winter that is making everyone re-evaluate themselves! Welcome to the Gay Badger Brotherhood. One of us needs to design a t-shirt or something.

10. BlueSky224

Confused MWM,
    A warm welcome.

I can imagine that it was quite difficult for you to write that post, but I'm glad that you did.

From your writing, it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your life, and in to your sexuality. No it's a matter of turning the corner from what you know intellectually to reality. And that's not an easy feat.

In many ways, you are ahead of the game. There are many 43-year-olds who can't articulate their feelings, who are struggling with such profound repression that they could never summarize, "Why am I here."

I hope you have noticed that this is a kind, thoughtful, sensitive group. Although we might not have had identical experiences in life, we can relate to you. And I speak for everyone when I say that we welcome your posts, comments, and questions.

I am starting to wonder about Wisconsin. It's one state I've never visited, but it does seem over-represented on this board. Hmmm. Perhaps the gay bachelor of my dreams is a "badger" :slight_smile:

11. Al123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Confused MWM,

Welcome and warm hugs. Uncanny clarity and acceptance. I cried when I read this as it is as though you had written about my life.

I have been lurked and not contributing much over the past year, but through this forum I found about fathers groups for men in our situation, and have joined one when I live.

I have been taking my time and trying to give my wife some time for her own acceptance, as I told her I am gay a year ago. I am beginning to realize that I am going to have to create a plan and start driving my own life forward as we can get stuck in the "go slow" mode.

How I hate to upset other people--good old people pleaser traits.

You actually don't sound so confused, even though your name says so. Often "confusion" stems from not wanting to hurt others, and that creates the feelings of confusion, which is more the tension between doing what is right for you, and what you feel you "should" be doing for others.

12. link4816

It must be something in the cheese curds. :slight_smile:

Welcome, Confused MWM. You have a lot of courage to reach out here on EC as you have. Before I accidentally outed myself to my wife, I never would have had the guts to chat openly about my true thoughts and feelings about men with anybody. As most here can say, I know exactly how lonely and frustrating it can be to have so many conversations with yourself about guys. It makes you feel as though you have split personalities.

You seem to have reached a tipping point that many guys in our situation eventually reach, where you just are not sure you can contain the drive within you to establish an emotional and physical connection with another man. You may have a strong desire to seek out a guy on the side, or you already have, or you already have taken steps in hope that it might happen. In my struggle, I never physically cheated, but took steps to do so, and I certainly cheated emotionally. I had to explain this all to my wife eventually, and it was very difficult to watch and feel her react.

As you figure out what you are going to do, I strongly advise that you be mindful of how your wife would feel if she knew the truth, including the truth that you have and still are concealing the reality of HER life from her against her will. My wife compares it to the Matrix: now that she has taken the pill that allows her to see the world as it really is, she often longs for the life she would have known if she took the other pill. Still, (she claims) she would rather know the truth. I am not necessarily advising you to tell her everything - that is something you have to figure out weighing all considerations. But when you conceal the truth, YOU bear a heavier burden, and it will weigh you down considerably.

I look forward to following your posts. We have a lot to learn from each other, I suspect.

13. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude, you totally nailed it here. Thanks for bringing this up as I intended to address it but forgot. I am your quintessential people pleaser!

My choice is do I continue living for others, people I love with all my heart? I don't hate my life as it is so that is an option. But a huge part of me is also missing and who knows what my potential holds for this life if I let go of the secrets and function as the true me.

And as Link mentions above, I do owe my loved ones the truth. It is unfair for my wife to carry any burden of our intimacy failures. The short term pain of knowing the true reason for this could well be better than the long term pain of trying to figure out how and why we've gone so wrong.

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

As for the whole Wisconsin thing, I wonder if it's a cold weather thing? I spend a lot more time sitting around, thinking about this in the winter than in the summer when we're busy with brats, beer, cheese... and guys nor wearing shirts LOL.

#13 confused mwm, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC. You've come to the right place certainly. I hope that in time you will get to where you want to be.

I'm an example of someone who did manage to find that one special man who allowed me to learn what it really felt like to truly love someone completely - more than I was able to love my wife. He and I have been together now for over 6 years now, and have been married for 2.5. My ex wife has also remarried and is living a nice life with her new husband, and my children have come out of this relatively unscathed as well. Only time will tell of course, but they seem to be well adjusted despite this situation.

Good luck!

15. tscott

There seems to be little I can add that hasn't been said here already. This is a very special and caring group of guys. You've landed in a good place to sort out what you want or need to do next. I have supported and been supported here. I'm currently working through mediation with eye on divorce and my children are my utmost concern, then my wife, and then me.

On a different note "badgers" are running neck and neck with the Scots. I was thinking it was something in my heritage.

I think you're going to like it here.

By the way, I'm Tim

16. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *joke* It's in the water in Wisconsin. I think it has something to do with Scott Walker. :lol:

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

Hello again, Confused. Even though we've been chatting a while on our Walls, I wanted to comment on this thread you started.

I echo all the comments above me. These are good, caring, wise people. And there are many others.

The two paragraphs I quoted above are a perfect description of my last 25 years, except that I'm approaching old age, not middle age. (I hate to say that, because there is a 25-year-old inside me that I've never let out to play!) I have the same relationship with my wife as the one you describe with yours. My life with her has been a gift, and my love for her is real. But it's not enough. I have to be whole, and I have to be known.

I too am at peace. Ironic, though, that finding my peace is causing so much turmoil in what has been the most important relationship in my life, in the one person who has guided and tutored me in life for so many years. This is tough work, but we all have to do it...

17. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you to everyone for your perspectives. Just got in from a night out with the (str8) guys and things are making so much sense. The girls at the bar are still hot and I can banter about them with the guys and be totally sincere, but I know what I want when I get home -- someone like all of you! I'm totally at peace with this dynamic. I think my guy friends truly enjoy my presence, which adds another layer beyond family to my people-pleaser dilemma. I don't want to deprive them of a friend and when it all goes down (timber! wow that was gay lol) I hope I can explain the dynamic. They're good guys, so I think it'll be fine, but every moment of every day adds yet another consideration. Crazy stuff.

18. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since posting this a few months ago, I resolved to "grease the skids" so to speak and strip away the straight facade I have spent 4 decades building, in the hope of softening the blow when I come out, hopefully this summer. This has meant a new wardrobe (lots of shopping -- yay!!!), new hairstyle, new commitment to fitness & nutrition, and I feel great! Best part so far? Last night at a bar, i was talking to a woman who just assumed I'm gay without asking. She asked if I have a boyfriend! I was flattered, and told her not yet, but I'll be taking referrals soon :slight_smile:

19. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations CM! It can't have been easy. "Taking referrals" made me laugh.

:slight_smile: