1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College and Career?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aTypicalAndrew, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DrkRayne

I went to college for Journalism/Communications with a minor in Near Easter Languages/Studies: Arabic
    I worked in that for a couple of years, writing for an Arabic Newspaper and tutoring bilingual kids.

2.5 years ago I got technical training in Computer Science.
    I now work as a datawarehouse designer/architect and I'm in college for an MBA in Information Technology.

2. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I'm currently doing a scientific Batxillerat (Catalan equivalent of sixth form/college) with the intention of going on to do either biology or psychology at a University level.

3. juliegt6

I went to community college, then a four year school for my BS in CS and worked full time to not get in debt, so it tookme five years despite taking summer classes. I graduated with a 3.7gpa and now I work full time as a software engineer.

4. GayDadStr8Marig

O earned an accounting b.a. at univeristy close to my parents' home so that covered housing. parents paid tuition (huge strings attached), I paid books and living expenses. graduated over 18 years ago, worked a few years in accounting field and transitioned to information systems.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At 18 I auditioned to be a student at a theatre school, I got in to the 3-year professional program, but after a year I understood that starving was part of the career progression, so I went to a technical school the next semester and became a draftsman at 19/20.

Went back to university at 21 for one (pre-science) year (to catch up) but returned to drafting at a refinery for a couple of years. I still felt that my education was lacking, so I took a trip throughout Europe at 22/23 then worked again as a draftsman in a paper mill until, at the age of 25 returned to university to start a bachelor's in chemistry. Graduated at 29, got work in a bioanalytical lab, then returned to do a master's in analytical chem which I completed in 1994.

This is when I discovered that I had a talent managing clinical research projects, which is what I do now and have done for the past 18 years. Earned an MBA at the age of 50, in 2010....so I guess these are still my salad days...

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I changed majors basically every other semester for years. Anthropology, chemistry, communications, history and I forget what else. Through it all, I kept taking German classes because both my parents had German-speaking relatives who would visit from Europe from time to time, and I didn't want to lose the ability to understand them. So you guessed it--in the end, I majored in German so I could get the hell out of the University of Wisconsin in Madison with some brain cells still intact.

Still didn't know what to do, so I went back to the grocery story I had worked at through high school, as an assistant manager. I also worked on the computer/cash register/barcode scanning system, which was very new. Then I went to a retailer (Woolworth--remember those?) to work with installing computer and cash register systems, and installing and testing new software releases. Our jobs were eliminated in the mid-1990's so I went to an electronic banking company testing software and configuring ATMs and such. I'm still there, but now I manage a team and serve as a techie resource for several groups. A very convoluted path! But I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

7. WiggleToe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I got my Bs in physical therapy. Worked as a PT for a year and a half but after 2 months I realized I truly hated it. So I started to check my possibilities, one of them including the master health sciences. Due to the PT I'd be able to complete that one in 2 years instead of 4, and during the first year I'd only have to go to school once a week so I could combine it with still working as a PT next to it (to be able to cover the costs). With a bit of luck and mainly hard work, I'll have my Msc Health Sciences in a couple of months.

8. XTREMEZish

I play the violin, guitar, cello, piano, and the drums. I get good grades in school. My dream job is to be the creative designer for Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights (John Murdy if you are on this sight, I'm out for your job. Be afraid, be very afraid). I have bean striving for it for a few years now and have done everything I can do to help prepare me for this.

9. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very cool to read what all of these familiar faces want to do with their lives. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm currently in the firefighter academy, will be going to paramedic school, and will be getting a Fire Administration degree to be a Firefighter and Paramedic, eventually an Officer.

10. Dreamscale

I'm taking up BS in Business Administration (major in Marketing). I'm so blessed to have passed in the best university in our country and I'm going there next year! So excited. ^_^

11. ThePhoenix

I'm still in college as a part time student going for a degree in communication design.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this year and the next until I'm off to university. I want to study medical science and languages, and then go into medicine.

13. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Spent a year at the Cascades Culinary Institute and received a 56-credit certification. At the time, I attended school full-time, worked at a fast-food joint and interned at a prestigious resort to help advance my career. Afterwards, I transferred the 80-some credits I eventually accumulated there to Portland Community College where I've begun completing an AAS in paralegal studies.

I realize this is entirely off-topic, but one of the most repeated concepts in Soc 201 was that individuals from wealthier families are far more enabled (and "over-privileged") than those from struggling homes. I wonder if this bears any truth here with attending and finishing college?

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to college for two years and just recently graduated to become a veterinary technician. Right now I work in a dog daycare and boarding facility. I would like to go back and take some foreign language classes, as well as get an animal welfare assistant certificate.

#34 mobrien1993, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started college in 1979, so I can't necessarily speak to today's college students. But at the time, my parents were barely able to afford to buy my books, and nothing else. I managed to get a National Merit scholarship thanks to high SAT scores, which covered about half of my tuition to a local Jesuit university. The rest I made up by working 20-30 hours a week during the school year and full time during breaks, which got to be pretty exhausting thanks to the commute. Transferred to Madison after 2 years and took a break from working during the first year, but I was back to nearly full time after that (5-year plan due to all those majors!). I had a few loans but not much.

My oldest daughter will start college in 2 years and we're going to have to rely on scholarship help, loans and work, because we are in the same boat my parents were--definitely "struggling". But she WILL go, one way or another, so there's at least one kid who's not "over-privileged" who is college bound.

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyyyy!

I'm currently in my final year of an Undergraduate Architecture Degree. It's definitely intense, actually very intense. But so rewarding at the same time! I'm thinking of branching out into urban planning. Our final project at the moment is urban planning and regeneration of the city which we are studying in. So much fun, master planning is great and theres no limits to what we can create. At least while we're still in education. You should definitely go for it. Engineering is also an awesome career to go into. I kinda wished I'd have done Civil Engineering now, but hey Architecture is cool!!

18. RandomMatt

What do you - or what are you aiming to do - for a career?

I'm a college sophomore and right now I'm majoring in k8-12 education (so middle or high school), specifically within the English field. I've seriously been considering switching over to elementary ed though because at this point I think I'd have a more genuinely enjoyable time with the younger demographics (all things considered, I know lol). Plus, as much as I love high school-level literature, I've slowly been realizing that teaching social values over academics for the most part feels more appealing and 'right' for me.

What about the rest of you guys?

19. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: What do you - or what are you aiming to do - for a career?

I'm a college senior studying chemical engineering and biochemistry, focusing in polymer science. I'm on internship this semester and loving it.

20. willycubed28

Re: What do you - or what are you aiming to do - for a career?

I am a bartender, and in the next few months I will hopefully be bartending on a beach in florida.