1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice - Yes it's a case of is or isn't he but I could do with some help :)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Aidan77, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Everyone.

It's my first time posting here for your information ( so be nice :slight_smile: )

So this is probably a really popular topic but every case is different so what the hell.

A little information.

I'm a closeted gay, told very few people and none of them are really close to me, I'm close to 17 years old and I'm from the UK.

The guy in question's name is Cameron (I'm allowed to use first name's right?), we aren't extremely close although I consider us friends inside school at least. I have never had a proper relationship before, so yeah.

He's a very kind and considerate person, which is why I feel that he is holding back - seeing as I have observed what I consider obvious signs - he's never had a girlfriend before and is usually a very confident person.

So, he's usually very confident around his friends and such but when I'm nearby he's even more reserved considerate and even nervous.

We've had a few close encounters before - sat close to each other and I've noticed that he's really shaky and shy at these times. We haven't really talked about it but I'm sure he's caught me staring at him more than few times.

My question is, how do I approach this topic, we don't really see each other out of school so it's kinda difficult to not feel nervous.

Feel free to ask any questions, thanks for your time everyone!

2. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Need some advice - Yes it's a case of is or isn't he but I could do with some hel

Anyone?

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Need some advice - Yes it's a case of is or isn't he but I could do with some hel

Ah, sorting out who's gay and straight in high school. It's such a pressured environment, there's usually little way to get a straight (pardon the pun) answer out of someone.

So when it comes down to it, you could look at hundreds of little "signs" that he's gay, and he could turn out straight. Or there could be hundreds of signs that he's straight (hitting on girls, etc), and yet he turns out gay. People are complicated, and their behavior is often not only not representative of who they actually are, but can often be the opposite of who they are inside. People are constantly trying to modulate themselves to what others expect of them, you often simply end up seeing what you want to.

From my experience, it's best not to speculate on a person's sexuality or feelings for you based on their outward behavior. It can very easily lead to disappointment, or missing a potential opportunity. So instead, I would just spend more time with him. Get to know him more on a friend basis. Try to spend as much time alone with him as possible, invite him over to play video games. Try light flirting if he doesn't seem uncomfortable with it (though don't assume that just because he responds, that he likes you or is even gay. A lot of straight people will unconsciously return flirtatious behavior, even with other guys, hence all of the "straight crush" threads here).

Once you're comfortable around each other, I would try broaching the subject of your sexuality. Most people do it by bringing up gay marriage, or some other element of the subject, and just segueing into saying "Yeah, I consider myself to be lesbian/gay/bisexual/pastasexual". If you come out, if he is gay, he'll likely take the opportunity to come out to you as well, though he could still be too surprised/overwhelmed to do it in that moment, so you might just get a confused/quiet response at first, but he'll probably eventually get around to telling you (probably over text later :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). If he responds confidently in a warm, supportive way, but doesn't mention his sexuality, he's probably straight.

4. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 07:18 PM ----------

I was just curious really, as he seems to care a great deal for my feelings, and seems extra considerate and reserved around me.

However more opinion would be much appreciated thanks!

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Everything you have said doesn't really indicate his sexuality; people can seem nervous for many reasons.

It seems like you need to be the one who extends a hand of friendship. This means talking with him, being interested in what he has to say, and following up to show that you remember him. So, first you need to find something to talk about, which can be as simple as something related to a class you both attend or some activity he does that you want to know more about.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, just keep talking to him and become closer friends until you can tell for sure :slight_smile:

7. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thanks for your advice everyone!

8. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Well, I've got quite a bit closer to him, he's much more open and a bit more talkative and such to me especially in class/when we are alone.

However, he's also much more distant in public, avoids eye contact at all costs and it borders on completely ignoring me.

He's giving me so many mixed message, I feel like I should just tell him but he feels so close and so distant sometimes...

Advice please :slight_smile:

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

(speculation based on info provided)
    Well it could be that he's curious/possibly into guys, likes you but is very self-conscious of letting anyone else know he's into guys at this point. Maybe he doesn't even realize it at this point. In case he's at this point in his "evolution" don't try to force him out, he may reject it, reject you, not a good idea at any rate.

Or he's just a str8 dude who is more comfortable in small groups and acts more reserved in larger groups.

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Again I would not speculate on his feelings towards you based on fairly neutral passive behaviors. The fact that he doesn't talk to you as much in public could mean any number of things. Maybe he's just more of an introverted guy, and stiffens up in groups. Maybe he's not feel uncomfortable at all and is just quiet. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. Maybe something was on his mind.

No matter what I get the impression you've only just yet. Since you have a crush on him, the times you spend together are going to seem super special, and the times not together super anxious. He may still just consider you a new friend. Either way, you're just speculating and could just as easily be wrong. So I would just avoid getting to worked up about behavioral patterns at this point, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just keep talking to him and most importantly, being a fun guy to be around.

11. MMF

MMF

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I was in the same situation but I approached him and we became friends, and we hung out and then I came out to him after 2 months of meeting him, then he comes out to me a month later that he's bi... So I've known this guy for 3 months now, and we've went hungout outside school 3 times now, I see him at school everyday haha. Now I'm just trying to figure out if he likes me or not.

12. Aidan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

He's not really shy in groups, you are right about my mind over emphasizing certain behavior, but that happens with crushes as you claim.

By problem is, it's not like he says or implies that he likes me or dislikes me, in class or in a small group or alone we are close and talk comfortably to each other, but we he is further away/not close to me with other people he subtlety acknowledges me but doesn't give any indication that he wants to talk to me, and he seems to avoid eye contact almost cautiously.

He gives me this looks sometimes that he really wants to say something but he just can't.

So he's either really not into me not sure, or is just extremely considerate to the fact that I might not be into HIM.

This shit is so confusing.

13. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Like I said, the signals are pretty weak and although they could mean something, they also just as likely might not. Either way, the only way forward is to approach him and start with conversations. As you get to know each other, you'll get a better idea of how he feels towards you and can proceed from there.