1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were u when u came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andrew99, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ckgay

1. The first person I came out to was my friend David. He straight up asked me if I was gay because during a conversation we were having on the topic I showed respect for LGBT people, so to that I replied with yes. His reaction was pretty good, he was informed on the subject and he was totally OK with it. Our friendship grew a lot stronger.
    2. I was 13 years old (Dec 26 2013) and I was turning 14 less than a month later (Jan 19 2014)
    3. Not even one.

2. JellyBean

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to a friend first at age 18 and pretty much came out to every friend within a year. I told my sister the same year as well and waited until I was 21 to tell me parents. Ever since then I have just casually told people of my gf if the topic comes up. My extended family doesn't know...I think. unless my parents have told them. (They live very far from us so I barely see them or know them)

3. ckgay

Homosexuality seems to be a big deal these days. Us gay people are taking a stand for our rights, basically. That's what I'm doing, at least. Kinda. I came out in a homophobic country so I guess that kinda counts.

4. secretguyX

1) my bestfriend, now girlfriend. i had tried telling it to her for a while saying i needed to tell her something important, but couldn't. one night i was sleeping over and we were cuddling and i was trying to say it and she asked if i was a guy and i said yeah. she was extremely supportive and great to talk to. next i came out to my bestfriend who's also transgender so obviously he was supportive as well.
    2) 15
    3) Since june 30/July, so 8 months.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mom. She was very supportive, as are the rest of my family.

Tough to say, because I was open about the feelings that confused me long before I understood what they meant. My parents actually helped me figure it out by talking about what sexual feelings feel like. I guess the time I'd point to was when I was about 16. I took my Mom aside for a serious talk because I was afraid I might be a pedophile based on how I felt about one of my brother's friends (who was seven years younger than me). My Mom asked me point-blank if I'd felt any enjoyable feeling in my genital region while I was spending time with her, and I said 'no'. It was then that I realized I'd never felt anything remotely like what she was describing. I can't remember if I told her that then or later, but I think I told her then. (By the way, I now know what I felt was a 'squish' - like a crush, but desiring friendship instead of a romantic relationship - and there's nothing wrong with wanting to be friends with someone of any age.)

Then again, for the next several years, I thought being asexual might be something I'd outgrow (a big worry for me, because I'm terrified of sex due to being a sexual abuse survivor). It was around 20-21 that I decided I probably wasn't outgrowing this.

By the way, since I have absolutely no sense of privacy, I've been out to everyone since I knew myself.

Tough to say, for the reasons described above. About 5-8 years, I guess.

6. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. My brother after a few pints. We went and sat down in a park between pubs and I nervously told him. His immediate reaction was "Whoa. Whoa, f***ing hell!" but in a more taken aback kind of way than bad. I knew he'd be fine, and he explained although he'd never suspected, the thought had crossed his mind and it kind of made sense because it "filled in a few blanks". He knew he didn't know the whole of me but didn't know why.

2. 34 when I came out to myself (second time around, long story), and 35 to my brother.

3. About three and a half years since i came out to my brother. Almost completely out now, all my immediate friends know, just a few family members and old friends to go. Told my Dad last month and he was surprised but I think he took it reasonably well.

7. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend did all the work for me. He figured it out while we were drunk at a party, having known me for no more than an hour. Didn't even have to ask. When the conversation turned to relationships (or lack thereof), I thought he was going to ask me out or something, but instead, he said something about our school lacking women, then turned to me and said, "That's gotta suck even more for you; that dating pool is small enough already". Apparently he thought I'd had it figured out for a long time. It was cool, though, because then I had someone to talk to and he's helped me tell a few other people.

I was 21.

It's been about 2 or 3 months. Yay for the newbie!

8. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1) my good friend Emily. She replied by informing me she was bisexual.
    2) 13 years
    3) a few months

9. AmiBee

I was 19 (a freshman in college) when I came out to a college friend. Although she wasn't the very first person i came out to, my wife was one of the first. I have been out for 24 years now:slight_smile:

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Who was the first person u came out to and how was their reaction?
    As questioning? A group of random people on Facebook via group chat. They just said: "You still have time to figure things out. No rush" As gay? To my brother, his reaction: "Well, if I hated it, I could walk home...but it is way too hot outside." I took that as loving (in a weird way.)
    2. How old were u? As Questioning, 18. As gay, 20
    3. How many years has it been since u came out? 2.5 or 0.5

11. Wildfyre

Wildfyre Guest

1. My mother, who is bi, and obviously didn't believe me
    2. 15
    3. Last year around about September maybe?

12. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friend. He seemed calmer than me
    1.5 Years ago

13. UK_guy

1. Mum and supporting and a positive reaction.
    2. 23
    3. 4 months ago

14. Fiddledeedee

1. The first person I came out to was my brother. He reacted well; he said, "Why should I care? It's not like you're going to go out with me."

2. I was 14.

3. It's been nearly 3 years. I don't regret it at all. I'm out to very nearly everyone now, though I haven't bothered to tell my dad.

15. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. The first person I came out to was my best friend. She reacted well so that was good.
    2. I was 13.
    3. 3 years ago, and I sort of regret some aspects of it. Some of my 'friends' who I was sort of close to at the time now hate me so, I don't know, I've gotten positive reactions of everybody else so I would say it's been succesful.

16. The Mushroom

1. Best friend, but he's deaf and it took him a while to ubderstand what I meant
    3.1 year

17. ckgay

Whoa how did you get him to understand

18. BadWolf5

A) planning on coming out to my best friend
    B)idk
    C) hopefully soon I hope i can get the courage to do it

19. BestoftheWest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 18 when I came out. It was a terrifying yet rewarding experience, that's for sure. No regrets.

20. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't really know what counts as being out. The first person I told was a friend of mine and my brother I was 14 I think but I was still not ready to embrace it then Then I came out to my ex boyfriend of 5 years because I cou'dnt stand living a lie anymore.

14 or 20 depending on how you look at it.

It has been half a year now I think.