1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Very afraid of death

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pace e amore, Jan 29, 2014.

1. pace e amore

I'm only 20 and I'm already feeling like death is standing right behind me ready to drag me into cold dark nothingness. I'm an atheist because heaven and hell and god just don't seem logical to me, and besides, from what I understand I'd probably just go to hell anyway. I don't understand why I'm so scared of death now because 2 years ago I actually tried suicide twice. I just can't stand the thought of my dead body decomposing 6 feet deep in the dirt with worms and bacteria eating me out from the inside because I KNOW it's going to happen sooner or later. I swear if I had a soul I'd sell it in a second for at least a couple of centuries or so of life.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think about it, 2 years ago it felt like being dead would be better than being alive. Now, you think being dead would actually be pretty bad, and living is preferable. BUT you still have that lingering thought of death from when you were feeling miserable before. It takes a while to calm down.

When this happened to me it was a case of going out of my way to recognize and remind myself whenever I found myself thinking that being alive is basically a good thing. If I found myself walking down the road thinking it's pretty good to be alive, I would tell myself that this time last year I would have been thinking the opposite, and that's shows a lot of improvement. No idea if it will help you but its worth a try.

3. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi pace_e_amore! First of all, stop watching morbid shows/movies/documentaries and go with something like Up or something fun and happy. The more you think about it, the more it will you up inside. And that is not a great way to live.
    Honestly, I, too get scared of death from time to time and I overthink about it so I kind of know how you feel. The best advise I can give you is to divert your attention and focus to something more positive.

I'm not too sure how to respond to your last statement about selling you soul, though.

Just try to be live your life in a way that you won't regret anything once your time has come.

Cheers!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww (*hug*) you wouldn't go to hell. And your 20 you've got your whole life ahead of ya u shouldn't be worried a out dieing. Maybe you'll go to Atheist heaven where there isn't god but there isn't god but your soul will stay there or u could just change your religion

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, all beliefs aside, a soul is eternal so any finite amount of life granted for it would be a poor trade. :wink:

But death is, IMO, not something to fear. IDK about heaven or hell, but I am fairly confident about some form of afterlife.

It even satisfies my scientific mind to hear a physicist talk about the validity of the idea after having a near-death experience. He was able to explain it using quantum-entanglement, proposing that every particle in our brains may be entangled with another somewhere in the universe. So when the body dies, the consciousness could very well live on, every part of your personality now residing in a different galaxy. How you would perceive things/transmit ideas from one space-neuron to another is totally out of my area of expertise, but it gives me hope.

And to totally kill the buzz, why worry about your body? If there is no existence after the brain ceases activity, you won't know the difference.

6. Deaderpool2

I always believe that saying that death is just the next adventure after life. Whatever happens afterwards, even if it is to go into a dreamless sleep, which ive always imagined is what nothing feels like, will not stop me enjoying what i want to do now.
    if there is nothing afterwards then there is nothing to worry about since i will have no concerns after it happens.
    if there is something then it will be something new that will bring new opportunities, challenges, hardships and emotions; in short life continued. i do not fear death but i fear dying, the process that can be either quick and peaceful, or long and painful. i hope that when i go i will do so with little or preferably no pain.
    All that being said i fear losing those around me, them being gone for the rest of my life, never being able to talk to them again unless there is something afterwards.

7. sanguine

I never understood why people were so afraid of death.

the way I saw it, I was only afraid of feeling physical pain, which is a sort of rite of passage when it comes to death right?

I remember for my schools year book they had a question where they asked what you would do on your last day on earth, and I said overdose, apparently thats not an appropriate thing to say though so they changed to 'spending time with family'. sooo generic if you ask me.

the way I see it, death is a truth and is as natural as birth, no body lives forever, you can maybe leave a legacy behind but thats about it, and personally Im more afraid of the deaths of others than myself,

sounds self destructive in another context but thats how I feel.

#7 sanguine, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014