1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you dress yourself warmly for cold temperatures?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 24, 2014.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's a generation thing, but I thought moonboots were the shoes made for kid that they bounce in basically making everything a trampoline....

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking moon shoes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXrr9fYHYoQ

#21 confuzzled82, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. Colours

I work in a refrigerated atmosphere, temperatures (celsius) being either (estimated) 2 or -2, depending on what my job is for the day. There's even a room where it's as cold as -28, which is just insane.

Therefore I have to be dressed warmly every single workday. I never used to be one to wear multiple layers of clothes (and then I wondered how on earth I was so cold during winter lol), there was a time when I worked wearing 3 layers - a t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt and a hoody or sweater. I've added an extra long sleeve now. And over those four layers, I wear my working clothes, making five layers. I think it's insane to be honest but since I've opted for the extra layer I haven't really been cold anymore.

3. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I usually wear three jumpers for cold weather (four if it's really bitterly cold) & gloves. I don't like wearing big bulky things like winter coats. I never have been able to pin down the reason why, though.

4. I know I'm from Cali and I don't know the real definition of cold, but I wear a beanie, with a hood over it. I wear a dark colored coat and a scarf along with it. Sometimes when the temperature dips below 50 degrees (10 degrees celsius) because there have been days where it's like that (I know, in Cali), I bring hand warmers to school. No, not mittens, hand warmers are pouches of this special type of powder that heats up when it reacts with oxygen.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anthony, That's shorts weather.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm from Montreal and the cold has never really bothered me much. If it's below freezing I'll put on a jacket but that's about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. apostrophied

Only in Cali... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't wear mittens until it reaches -10C lol. I've never actually used a handwarmer in my life. They aren't even widely available here, I think they sell them at Canadian Tire and mayyyybe the gas station, but I'm not even sure.

8. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay like... How cold? Cold like autumn, maybe a long sleeved shirt and a hooded jacket of some sort. Snow starting to fall? Light gloves, long sleeved shirt, jacket, coat, and waterproof, insulated boots. A foot or two? Light gloves double layered, tank top under long sleeved shirt, jacket, coat, and my trusty boots. Wind chill of like negative a thousand degrees? Layer the shit out of everything. You're about to feel like a damn eskimo in a snowstorm, or maybe some sort of disfunctional stuffed animal.

Double layer light gloves underneath the heaviest gloves you can find. Tank top, long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, hooded jacket (or two, if you're me), heavy insulated coat. Leggings or thermal underwear (if both, thermal underwear first), followed by stretchy yoga pants of some sort, jeans, snowpants. Double socks, then my trusty insulated waterproof boots. A scarf if you have one. It is ABSOLUTELY necessary to warm your body parts before you stuff them into insulation. Cold things will stay cold, warm things will stay warm. Not forever, but for a decent while. Sunglasses are odd things to wear in the cold, but they are particularly effective in keeping the wind out of your eyes and they don't look as weird as goggles.

EDIT: don't neglect your ears! Earmuffs or an earwarmer should do it. I recommend some sort of hat, also. A thick one if you're not keen on using the hoods attatched to your jacket(s) and/or coat.

#28 megaloveme, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014