1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...Love

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jan 24, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Let me start by saying that I am as clueless as anyone about that thing we call “love”. Like that Joni Mitchell song, “Both Sides Now”, these haunting lines resonate:

I've looked at love from both sides now
    From give and take, and still somehow
    It's love's illusions I recall
    I really don't know love at all

Nevertheless, I’ve been thinking about posting this thread for several months, so I might as well take the plunge and start the discussion.

I’ve said elsewhere here on a few occasions that to love someone is to love the good that you see in that person. In order to see that, you need to know the person, perhaps better than that person knows him or herself.

I’ve also said that to love is a verb, to be in love is to be actively “doing love”, caring for and about that person, respecting who that person is in the present and who they want to become in the future, it is responding to them when they need you and above all it is to know that person deeply.

But there is a dark side to this. We put so much pressure on ourselves to find this love, we live for it; it seems to be our greatest Goal: finding that “true love” forever more, finding “The One”…. Well, sorry folks, there is no single “One” and love, to be true must be romantic; and romantic love is never quite true.

But now it's just another show
    You leave 'em laughing when you go
    And if you care, don't let them know
    Don't give yourself away

What model do we have to at least point the way to what love is? Perhaps the love of a parent for a child…I have three of them and each is a separate and distinct lesson in love. The first child teaches just how much you can love someone without condition. The second teaches you that love has no limit. The third teaches you never to take it for granted, that every day is an occasion to “do love”.

Vulnerability.

What can be more vulnerable than being a parent? The author, John Irving, once said that he imagines his children’s death every day. Indeed, as a parent you imagine all kinds of calamities, all kinds of hell at the thought of losing any one of them.

But that’s just it, perhaps, the idea of loss is what’s wrong. How can you "lose" someone you could never possess? As a parent, I have to let them go and live their lives. And all I can do is contemplate the good that I see in them, care for them, respect who they are and definitely who they want to become, respond to them with responsibility and finally…let them go.

And letting go is inevitable.

It may seem strange but I don’t think love is a prerequisite for marriage. Precisely because love is so difficult to do and so easily disappointed. Arranged marriages are more successful than we think, all that "love" pressure is not there; which is not to say this is what I agree with, only that marriage takes a lot more than that lovin’ feelin’, much, much more.

I think LGBT folk have an issue with love...we've been so emotionally beat up for so long, it seems too hard to do to let down our defenses and dare to love someone. I have no answers to this other than to summon some deep well of courage somewhere and yell out "damn the torpedoes!" and love anyway, and love again if the first one doesn't work out (I have a masochistic streak) and love yet again. It is possible, I think, to love many times if we find it easy to see the good in people.

I look at love as a kind of esthetic, an occasion for making something beautiful out of that connection, for creating something sublime, from moment to moment: two people sharing their present moments, their presence together and making every shared life event, every struggle, every conflict, and every letting go, as beautiful as possible.

If we accept that we cannot possess another the way we possess things, we would be so much less sad when death do us part. If we can take love to be stewardship, nurturing and taking delight in the least trace of the other, like the laughter of a child, if we receive it as a gift instead of something that is possessed, I think we can approach what love ought to be…maybe...but what do I know about love?

I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down, and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all.

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arthur,

You never fail to amaze me.

Tom

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    gw, interesting how we pick out lyrics from songs. Thanks for sharing. I'm usually private about the lyrics I find haunting, possibly because I'd be embarrassed to share my feelings. So, then, on a continuum, are you more of a practical man or more of an artist?

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Tom!

@Tightrope: to your question, the ultimate practicality in this life is to live it and to compose it as an artist would.

5. Julieno

I fundamentally agree with you Greatwhale. Though I think that "love" is a really complex issue in general and much more complex if we speak abaout LGBT people.

Analyzing my case (Unfortunately I cannot read minds yet so I cannot speak for anyone else). I think you are right, I am afraid of letting my defences down, because I kind of believe that I have endured enough. I also have come to the realisation that I have spent most of my life, until a few years ago, in denial (either conciously or unconciously) and trying to prove myself that I didn´t need love. So now it is more difficult to be patient and wait for things to evolve.

I think what makes it more difficult is a combination of:
    -Not wanting anyone to hurt you.
    -Developing a sense of independance.
    -Wanting love to be perfect (maybe as a result of not being happy for a long time)
    -Wanting love to be perfect from the beggining (so you just move away from anything else).

I may be completely wrong and it may not be true for people who have been out for a long time or from an early age but well thats my analysis...

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such an interesting question: do we really need love?

Throwing this out there...what does love mean in the LGBT context? What is it that we expect from it? Does love just happen to us, or is it something we need to take responsibility for?

7. tscott

greatwhale -

I am geuinely moved by your insight. I'd tell let you know I was move to tears, but that's too frequently done these days. We're the captains of our own ships. Love is something taken by both parties. It is as you say an action, God, I love French for having taught me my own tongue. We take it as instinctively as a child, first meeting our needs and then returned meeting the needs of the other, maturing into mutual sharing, and then a caring beyond the self. I'm reminded of a Judy Collins song that ends:

Take the lillies and the lace
    of the days of childhood,
    All the willow winding paths
    leading up and outward.
    This is what I give,
    this is what I ask you for,
    Nothing more.

8. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

This. This, Greatwhale, is where I shall derive my inspiration, as well as my patience and acceptance, once I finally find myself ready to contemplate the act of loving another again.

What better model than that of the love of a parent for a child? Who in the world tries us to the degree that our children do and yet we continue to love them, as you say, 'without condition'? What better model could there be? I almost find myself wishing that I had experienced such love prior to discovering romantic love.

Unfortunately, the linear path of our lives takes us from the all encompassing, ego-centric, selfish love we experience as children, to our first brushes with romance, at which I am again convinced many of us grasped far too quickly - and naively - for that elusive brass ring and were ill-prepared for the reality of unconditional love. Because it is only the greatest of unconditional loves that can truly survive without end.

Which, as we all know, is such a fleeting time nonetheless. But contrary to your opinion of love being the greatest goal, I have experienced and come to learn that it is only when I am not actively seeking *love* as the end unto itself that I find myself presented with the opportunities to experience such a rare and wonderful thing.

But despite my reputation, I will not be contrary in all things. :icon_wink I too agree that possession is the death-knell to a healthy, buoying, love. Love is the thing that gives rise to the greatest of heights. Not even the most spectacular of winged creatures can reach such heights from within a gilded cage. And isn't that what we all want? To not only reach the greatest of heights ourselves, but to see those we care for most dearly fly even further? And how better to do so than being buoyed by pure, unconditional love?

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I like the parent/child model but it doesn't fit well for me...

I love my sons, I would die for them, but it has boundaries, reasoned boundaries of parent and child.

Love for a partner, romantic love is a wild thing with an ever growing territory. Love for my partner has raging rapids of passion which can seize a moment and carry you both away that other expressions of love lack.

Love for a partner is boundless, beyond all emotional confines.

I long for the day when I can be recklessly, romantically in love again. And even with how society views the public expression of gay love, to be able to sweep my partner up publicly in an expression of love, or to simply be tender or lean into them at the beach or while resting on a hike is a huge desire. Society be damned, I want to be recklessly, romantically in love again.

That thought keeps me moving forward.

Parental love is not reckless, I seek the free abandon of romantic love two people can share.

Tom

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  11. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Tom, I don't think it's presumptuous of me to assume that none of us have any wish to share the parent/child love with a romantic partner or vice versa. I used the example of that love because it was not until I'd experienced the entirely selfless love that I felt for my children that I came to understand that what I had formerly believed to be love was but a pale self-centered shadow in comparison.

I will hopefully - someday - know such love - selfless, boundless, non-possessive love - for a true partner. And yes, without doubt, to qualify as 'romantic love' it will, most certainly also encompass all the wildness, recklessness, passion and fire that you so eloquently describe.

:goodluck: to us all!

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beautifully stated, kiddo! The love that we all seek one day would have that same selfless quality as the love that we parents have for our children, where we accept them completely, feel that almost selfish pride, and would absolutely, certainly die for them if we had to. But it would have that added reckless, passionate abandon that makes us want to be pretty much as close in all ways as two people can be--while still being two individuals who bring their own unique parts to the relationship. I have all the faith in the world that if we want it, it's there for us to find.

13. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want GreatWhale to be my therapist! Oh, wait....maybe he already is my on-line therapist....or at least, trusted and wise advisor. I totally agree about your perspective on love. However, I would also add that the version of love that we've been trained to look for comes to us from a hetero-normative world. It may not look exactly the same for LGBT folks and that's okay! Some parts may be similar, but many parts are likely not. It's just another place where we get to define it for ourselves...rather than have the world define it for us.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you to all who responded, your comments are really well thought-out and cogent.

Love is as mysterious as the idea of the self, it is almost ridiculously difficult to define and it is hard to come by! Nevertheless, the closest one can come to understanding it, I think, is in its relationship to sex.

Pretty much all of creation engages in sex, of one kind or another. But we as humans, with a culture and a memory are different from animals in that regard (well, most of us anyway). We can't engage in sex without all the cultural baggage that surrounds it.

As Tom said, it is a fervent wish to let oneself go, abandoning all inhibitions, losing oneself in the other, and forget everyone else.

Culture however, puts rules in place for such activities. Sex, as it is generally sanctioned, is usually done in private, between consenting adults. But it can be so much more. It can be elevated to the realm of romance and of love. The means by which it achieves this "something out of nothing" is in the idea of sublimation.

Yes, one can go directly to sex, and many long-lasting LGBT relationships actually start that way. I wonder if this may be related to our general distrust of the heteronormative approach to relationships. Nevertheless, whether straight or less than straight, I really do believe that relationships can be so much more intense, so much more substantial if they were allowed to play a little.

Instead of losing oneself in the other, instead of going directly to the main event, taking the long way home can be so much more interesting. The value of lace and lingerie, for example is that it redirects and enhances the libido in unexpected and satisfying ways. By delaying gratification, by means of play, redirection, fetishes and the like, one brings sex into another realm.

So...Love is, in a sense, the sublime realm of sex. It is our cultural expression of what was once merely a biological function.

Love is profound because it is can be an esthetic, sublime expression of a deep-seated need to relate intimately with another.

It is profoundly human.

15. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    For me a song will come on the radio and stay in my mind forever.

The song is Chasing Cars from Snow Patrol.

If I lay here
    If I just lay here
    Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I don't quite know
    How to say
    How I feel

Those three words
    Are said too much
    They're not enough

If I lay here
    If I just lay here
    Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told
    Before we get too old

One of the lines should resonate with all of us; "Forget what we're told, Before we get too old." you grow up seeing and hearing that love is between a man and a woman but you need to rethink that in your head that love can be between 2 people of the same sex.

16. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, Cool Bananas, you just gave me another one of those moments I've been writing about, when I really feel, when my skin tingles, from my scalp to my toes, and I want to weep from the sheer joy of feeling.

Btw, in a lighter vein, would you rather be called Cool or Bananas?

/Ed.

17. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Love, self, sex... hmmm, all this does is make me think that perhaps I haven't progressed so far beyond selfish love after all. Oh, wait, you were talking about sex with another!

[Sorry, you had to know the wise ass in me would eventually break free. At lease I decided to be nice and not go down the Greatwhale/lace and lingerie path. :grin:]

But to be serious, it sounds to me like you're describing tantric sex. Which, by the way, offers innumerable mental, physical and emotional health benefits far beyond the obvious benefits to a relationship. Although tantric sex goes a step further, and in addition to not just "going directly to the main event", it also encourages you to enjoy the show and not fast forward to the "grand finale".

Ah, now the longing for a new relationship has hit. Tantrism is just really not meant to be practiced alone. :icon_sad:

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    39. Jesus said, "The Pharisees and scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and hidden them. They have not entered and they have not allowed those who want to enter to do so.

As for you be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves

19. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pretty much agree with everything in your post I just excerpted above. But your last three sentences really got to the core of things for me.

I also think that sex is the sublime realm of romantic love, because it can be the biological expression (to borrow your words) of that deep-seated need to relate intimately with another.

For most species, sex is a biological necessity. For us, it can be a biological expression of an emotional necessity.

The notion that sex is an act of procreation, in the words of Catholic doctrine, is in my mind, an awful demeaning of sex, and love, as human experiences.

I really love these conversations. I haven't had these since, well. Ever.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for that, DB (although you have noooo idea...)! :grin:

Tantric sex is, I believe, one particularly interesting aspect of raising the sexual experience to another level. There is a reason this is not part of Western culture; what with our goal-directed, results-are-the-only-thing-that-matter behaviour. But it really is one of many ways to raise the bar, so to speak, on the experience. In the realm of the sublime, there are few limits to the application of creativity!

That's the weird thing about Love, and the thing we Westerners can't get our heads around [insert inappropriate remark here] it is not something you achieve as a one-time event, that, once attained, nothing more needs to be done.

Loving someone means knowing someone. The Biblical term to know one's wife quite literally meant to have sex with her. It takes a whole life (and probably several more if it were possible) to know someone (in the modern non-biblical sense).

Love demands that you know the person you love, more than anyone else. It also demands that you love yourself, meaning: that you also know yourself as deeply as possible.

Are we capable of the vulnerability needed to know, truly and honestly, who we are? Are we able to open our hearts (possibly dangerously) to let someone in?

#20 greatwhale, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014