1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Smoking maybe cause gay babies, says neuroscientist

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HermioneGaynger, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Actually this is one case where "the plural of anecdote is not data" line really doesn't apply.

I think you misunderstand what the word "anecdote" means.

The definition of "anecdote":

Our individual cases are not "anecdotes", each and every one of them is an individual data point.

And each case is a data point that contradicts Dr. Dick Swab's hypothesis.

"My parents did not smoke, and I am gay"...that's data, not an anecdote.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both my parents smoked until just after my older brother was born. They had me about 18 months later. My brother is straight, I'm gay. So even if this holds, it doesn't hold for me.

I'm getting a bit tired of people trying to find out "why babies are born gay"...because the underlying premise is "once we figure that out, we can make sure it never happens again". How about we just accept that some of us are gay?

Lex

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents former pastor (who had to resign over sex allegations) said the devil caused homosexual thoughts, but now that I think about it, I do recall my Dad smoking a cigar once with some other guys in a meeting when I was little. He was probably doing that too before I was born. It's all his fault!

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could by causing genetic (or more broadly epigenetic) mutations in the sperm/eggs. But, I'm not sure about this study.

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    This, and I personally think even having a Degree in anything only shows you simply did good in school and you were trained in such, while ignorance, idiocy, and among many idiotic and plain downright degressive claims and phrases have nothing to do with such.

6. Nikky DoUrden

Problem is that those things are being published in random newspaper, and people tend to believe those things especially if they are not educated in those subjects.

I have only one thing to say - always doubt things written on newspaper, even more so if its about "scientific study".
    If they want something to be scientific then give proofs and stop the hand-waving!

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    'Scuse me a moment

"Ma, did you smoke when you were carrying me? Un huh, un huh, it was just a question, wasn't accusing you of anything."

Thanks a lot Dick Swaab, now I'm grounded. :bang:

8. Thunor93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember reading a research which indicated that stress during pregnancy can have an impact on sexual orientation.