1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first phone? Suggestions for a new phone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by puppy1000, Jan 18, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    T-Mobile flip phone.
    Don't remember the model, but it was blue.
    Get a phone with a good battery life.
    My HTC Evo only survives for 2-3 hours without charge.
    On the plus side, though, it's the "indestructible brick" type of phone.
    ...Then again, I have a protective case, so maybe my results are skewed.

2. Sailorsheart

Now I am going to really show my age. My first phone was this big a black pile of Bakelite with a rotary dial and a large handset tethered with a cord. It pretty much stayed in one place and when it rang you could easily find it. My cell phone when it rings I have to look for it.

3. moniker

the first (cell)phone i owned (passed down to me after using it by my parents) at the age of 12 was Nokia 3210. lol

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't remember the model number, but it was some generic LG flip phone. My first smart phone was a Treo 650.

5. scanner007

well I don't have sailorsheart beat, but I had the most revolutionary phone after those "brick" style phone began to be common place. It was one of the first mainstream "flip" phones, everyone marveled at how much it was like a Star Trek communicator.

Motorola DPC 550: Cell Phones & Smartphones | eBay

And much like an original star trek communicator, all it could handle was analog voice communications. No camera. No gps navigation chip/motion sensor. No facebook. No email. Couldn't even send a single text message. The battery it came with was as big as some of my later cell phones, and would run less than a day.

If I remember right, I think I had a $50 a month plan for something like 90 minutes of talk time for the whole month. We definitely had to make our cell phone calls in the snow, uphill both ways back in those days.

I'm waiting for the galaxy s5 to come out.

6. Eevar

Mitsubishi Trium Geo. Not the Geo @ just the Geo. I lost it when I went for a walk one winters day. Found it 3 days later after the snow melted, took it home, left it to dry, plugged it in charged it up, and carried on using it.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

My first cell phone was a Motorola T720:

[​IMG]

There were better phones available at the time, but I just really liked the styling on this phone: small, smooth, and, sleek. It felt like it was made of creaky plastic when you held it up to your head to make a call, but I still liked it.

Even though I could never give up smart phone capabilities (iPhone/Android) and go back to an old-fashioned cell phone, I still miss the old flip phone with its' foldover clamshell form factor.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Kyocera Marbl.

Regarding the smartphone you want to get, go with the Nexus 5. I'm a technology reviewer for Sprint and T-Mobile and have tested all those phones. Of the ones listed, I'd go with the Nexus 5. It has a good price tag, a great green, a good camera and always gets updates before any other phone so it'll always stay up to date. I'd keep the Nexus 5 I reviewed but realized that the Nexus 4 was good enough for me.