1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you write/not write?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AudreyB, Jan 18, 2014.

1. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I've noticed that we seem to have a fairly decent collection of writers here at EC (frustrated and successful both). I'm interested in what motivates or inspires our bards to write?

I definitely belong to the frustrated subgroup. Pretty sure my near-complete writers block is due to my own impossibly-high standards. No less than three separate times I got about sixty pages into a new novel, only to scrap it once it became obvious it stood no chance of becoming another Gatsby or Anna Karenina. :lol: These were all a long time ago and it seems that a certain part of my brain has decided to simply not pick up pen again until I can for realz grind out that masterpiece.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write because no medium of entertainment has yet created the story I want to exist. :slight_smile:

I refrain from writing because it's staggeringly hard work akin to building a Jenga tower.* The bigger it gets, the more unstable it becomes, and every block is another chunk of effort contributed. Meaning the stakes are very high once you've put months into a project, only to realize it can't live up to the standards you expect, and it gets obliterated. Then you go and whine on EC. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*I feel like I've bitten off much more than I can chew by taking on an allegorical sci-fi homage to Arthurian mythology. My Jenga tower resembles a space elevator and I'm probably not a quarter of the way finished. But I've just got to keep looking to my motivational stuff and grind it out, hoping for the best.

#2 Argentwing, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. Hexagon

I feel wrong when I don't.

4. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy it. I enjoy stories. It also gives me purpose and a sense of identity at a time where I don't have those things. It gives me reason and it also creates the possibility of helping to change things I feel are wrong with the world. Oh and shipping. That's fun.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I WOULD write, because I can tell stories with ease. Especially childrens stories. I just can't get them down on paper, and even if I repeat them word for word they don't seem to go on the page. There is some disconnect between the written and the spoken story that I haven't yet mastered.

6. 7eye

7eye Guest

I write to let out ideas, thoughts, rants and feelings.
    I more often than not refrain from writing, because it's quite tedious; I'd rather see things in pictures.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is the old saying, but I prefer to consider writing as an art form with its own merits outside of just explaining what happens. Words may be chunks of information, but well-done narrative also uses them as brush strokes. Connotations are different shades of the same color. Proper spelling and grammar are proper anatomy and perspective. It applies mostly to poetry rather than prose, but why not use some elements of both? :grin:

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I write because I have to let out my feeling and translate them into works.

And also, I can manipulate the story and can decided whole shoot, thing that everyone can't do in the real life.

9. Siarad

I don't write because life is one big jigsaw puzzle of work, political activity, acting, terminally ill best friend, family (not necessarily in that order).

I used to write a lot and sort of still do occasionally. I will write poems and song lyrics occasionally but I rarely do anything with them. When I was a teenager/young adult I wrote all the time and I really miss writing. I just can't see where I'd get the time to sit down and write, though.

10. HarryIsCute

I attempt to write because I love to tell people about stories in my own personal life, those of others, and those that I make up.

11. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me writing isn't a just a hobby, it's my art. Words are my color and I create masterpieces. I may not be an excellent writer but I try and I let my imagination be my guide. So yeah I write because its my art. I love the ideas and character I create.

12. DesertTortoise

I gave ups explaining why I write a long time ago--to myself, or to others.

And yeah--that 'high standards' thing is nothing of the kind--in reality, it's a mask for that inner judge implant that isn't even part of you, but a leftover injection from every critical thing that's ever been laid on you from parents and teachers and gatekeepers.

When I figured out that it was ok to write 'bad poems,' I went from writing a few dozen a year (though I was writing other stuff too, fiction, novels), to almost 300 in one year. And the bad ones, instead of agonizing over them and reworking and trying to make them better, became a goad to try something a little different the next time, so the mistakes or failures, if that's what they were, weren't weights around my neck, but lessons to learn from. Better to write and toss it in the can, or a drawer, and write something else... and you know what? You'll get better!
    That, and read your contemporaries! Find poets and writers who challenge you--and go to readings, as many as you can. I'm way lucky to live in a city with one of the best poetry scenes in the country--all different kinds of poetries (Plural, not singular!).Write and write and write--and don't worry about whether it's bad or good.
    Keep doing it, and it will get better.
    Good luck to you! Don't ever give up!
    Fuck the judges! Fuck the gatekeepers!

13. musicrebel

I love being able to express how I feel.

14. Munyal

I tried to write a story about a girl locked in a stasis pod for 20000 years or so, only to find that the human race had moved on to other planets, and had forgotten Earth existed.

It was coming along nicely, until writer's block happened. It was like any and all creativity was sucked out of me.

But I try to write because it is calming.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Because it's the only thing I'm good at. :lol:

Joking but anyway... I dunno. I write what I want to read. It's a pretty valuable outlet. I've got to have some way to release my pent-up sadistic urges, eh?

It's been almost a year since I've sat down and tried to work a novel. Frankly, I've been uninspired. I've had the ideas- just not the motivation to pound anything out.

Yesterday, actually sat down and, without any prior planning, wrote the beginnings to a story I'd been tossing around in my head for the past week or so. I was messing around on my grandmother's Mac, Internet was down, and I had a basic Notebook program at my disposal... It's been a long time since I've been able to simply pound out a story like that.

16. itsonlyrelative

Writing has become one of my greatest coping skills; I am able to think more clearly when I write things down and get them onto paper in front of me. I wouldn't say I am any good, but I really enjoy writing.

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Writing as compulsion, eh? Interesting. I feel the same about criticism. Despite my many efforts to the contrary (because, let's face it, everyone hates a critic), I seem utterly incapable of consuming media--be it film, TV, music, lit, or whatever--without feeling the urge to critique it to death, until all of my own responses and the responses of others have been analyzed, weighed, and evaluated. Still can't figure out why no one wants to watch movies with me. :lol:

18. KazTastic

I don't write because I can barely string a sentence together (even when talking to someone), let alone get through writer's block.

19. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

That's probably only partially true in my case. I at least did not enjoy direct influences over my tastes in literature growing up. My parents weren't readers (unless you count the Bible and Christian non-fiction) and I was educated at home in relative isolation during the second half of my schooling years. I sorta got into "serious" lit on my own (via library card).

Although, I was highly impressed during my youth poring through our set of encyclopedias (what the internet was called when I was a kid) and encountering articles on Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky, Henry James, Ernest Hemingway, etc., who often merited several pages inside these crammed volumes of human accomplishment. I haven't always cared for the same authors Britannica and such revere, but it's hard to shake the notion that at least some greatness is objectively inherent. When I was a child, I was always viewed as having a very "high potential" (oh gatekeepers, ye hardly knew me :grin:), so I guess once I set my sights on a writing career, it had to be Tolstoy or it just wasn't any good at all. I still think this, dammit, thus my pen remains in cryo-freeze. :lol:

Then again, maybe some progress is being made, albeit microscopically. I attempted my very first erotic story a few weeks ago. I've made it all the way to five paragraphs, so far. :lol:

20. AlamoCity

I don't write because I suck at writing and was never good at it except for "academic" endeavors. That said, maybe I should start writing, if only as relief to the insomnia I often face, caused by my mind swimming in so many thoughts. Perhaps putting pen to paper can sooth those demons and help me as much as my friend Ativan.