1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you guys ever think about whether your interests are stereotypically gay or not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by treasureisland, Jan 15, 2014.

1. treasureisland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all!
    I was just curious about whether people here ever identify their interests with being "gay" or "not-gay" or if maybe you thing these designations are either inherently offensive or inaccurate. For example, I love Celine Dion and some songs from musical theater ("gay" haha). But I also like the nfl and playing basketball (not-guy) lol. And it might be the opposite for a girl. So, I'm not sure. Do people identify with their interests as being "gay or "not-gay" and or do you guys just think these classifications are unfair, wrong or just plain inaccurate?

2. willycubed28

Re: Do you guys ever think about whether your interests are stereotypically gay or no

Ever since I was a teenager because I love Celine Dion as well, musical theatre, and the show Xena I was stereotyped as being gay. People would just assume. They wouldn't ask. It drove me nuts.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Do you guys ever think about whether your interests are stereotypically gay or no

When I started realizing my sexuality, I had internalized homophobia over some interests considered effeminate like being into needlework. Since I wanted to stay in the closet, I dropped them, but I could never bring myself to go the full distance. So, I chose "sophisticated" things like fine arts and playing in band/orchestra, basically things that both guys and girls can do without being questioned about their sexuality.

4. treasureisland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Resu, I also had pretty bad internalized homophobia in high school. It made me scared to do some things, like musical theater, which I enjoyed in middle school :frowning2: Well, I guess it's never too late haha. Btw, I like your "dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum." Do you like Descartes?

5. LiquidSwords

I like playing rugby which definitely isn't very effeminate. I like going gym which I'm not sure about, it's like a stereotype of knucklehead straight guys and gay guys at the same time. I like music like Lana Del Rey and stuff which people tell me is camp. So it's a mixed bag I guess.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I like video games and the stereotype is lesbians play video games but now it's kinda changing because the straight girls are playing too .

7. Foster

I'm definitely not a stereotypical lesbian. I'm very girly and cutesy (in the way that I dress and act). I love shopping, and hate sports and most video games. The only thing that makes me stereotypical is the fact that I love cats lol. ^-^ But who really cares about stereotypes? People should just be who they are and like the things they like, regardless of their sexual orientation.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not gay, but love always choosing a female character, or being one in MMOs or things like second life.

But I'm not sure that's "stereotypical".

I think this whole "stereotypical" LGBT thing is very antiquated, especially from everything I've seen on this forum.

9. DrkRayne

I'm not stereotypical except that I play video games and like computers :grin: those are pretty lesbi-riffic :grin:

10. Colours

Haha yeah I sometimes do. But then I think, who even cares. I'm me and I'm awesome.

11. AlamoCity

I think some my hobbies can be a little more dorky/nerdy than gay. I collect coins and antique silverware and generally get a kick going to yard sales and thrift shops looking for antiques and items that were made in an era where quality was king.

I guess one characteristic that can be gay is that I can spend hours at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

But then again, I do like to chop wood in the brisk fall/winter months to have for grilling/BBQing (you must be crazy if you think I'm going to do that in the dead heat of summer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) so that can be categorized as "straight." As can be said for my love of cooking food outdoors.

But that's how people see my hobbies, not how I see them. I just see them as fun things I like to do, irrespective of how they might be perceived.

12. DangerousHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

I'm questioning.
    No.
    I love to learn about any part of history, except disgusting Canadian history.

13. Saint Otaku

I've had the recent habit of adopting any interests considered stereotypically "gay" or feminine with more eagerness simply because they defy the heteronormativity, much to the irk of my homophobic family (^_^)

14. Sarcastic Luck

Nope. There's plenty of hobbies that straight people do that could be seen as "gay". Most of them are based off of stereotypes, however. Two common ones are cooking and sewing.

Cooking? Gordon Ramsey. Need I say more?

Sewing? Well, just look at saddle makers or the old fur traders. Honestly, if you're living alone you need to know how to mend your own clothes.

When I first started going through figuring out who I was with being transgender, I mulled over my hobbies and everything, admittedly, there's not very many things that I'll need to change (of course, my mother claims otherwise, but woo bigots). About the only thing I'm looking to change is mannerisms, but that's more out of a need to pass better. I'm not overly feminine in my actions, but I still do the 'shift weight to the side, stick butt off to the side' thing. Though, that's more due to leg/ankle injuries, I think, and shifting my weight off of them.

Regardless, you are who you are.

15. kem

kem

I don't know. I like wine, I love vegan food, I love art and all kinds of music though I have a special place for female singer-songwriters in my heart, I guess that's stereotypically gay. I really like interior design and my preference in games is "girls' games" ie Sims, Final Fantasy and jrpg.

16. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Uhm...no. I'm too ambiguous to represent a stereotype :grin:

17. Nikky DoUrden

All my interests (except guys) developed before I even knew what gay is or what sexuality is, so I don't think it has anything to do with it...
    although the color pink doesn't seems so bad now! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis

I'm Fabulous... but some say only gay guys can be flaming/ fabulous. haha if only they knew

19. Harve

They're a mixture. But that's probably my interests include most things.

I'm frustrated by the lack of disco music at gay nights in clubs in my city. And then I realised disco music today is actually mainly a 'macho', straight guy thing.

20. FloatingPiano

I have a few. I'm obsessed with Lady Gaga, I'm very into art (I go to art school) and I love cats.