1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mom is expecting me to marry a guy!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Indie419, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Indie419

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I have noticed my mom, who knew i dated a woman and dislikes it a lot expects me to go to grad school, marry a guy and have children. :frowning2: i knew in my teens that i may marry a woman or man, as i have explored myself more, i have became sronger about marryin,g a woman. And i think it would be beautiful. I Love my family, i learned that i dont have to please them all t,he time and its ok to be myself when i went to college for my undergrad. So, now im wondering as i have come to terms with bisexuality, that i wonder if i ever will get married, am i just a lesbian?, so many thoughts running through my head? Whats everyones opinions and thoughts?

2. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, I understand how you feel in a way. I'm surrounded by people whom view gay/Bi as disgusting or devilish. Luckily my grandparents (whom I live with) are pretty liberal.

DO NOT let yourself be forced into marrying someone you don't want to. If you are drawn to girls and not guys then perhaps you are lesbian. If you don't want children DONT HAVE ANY. It's your body so its your choice on what to do with it. I on the other hand want 4 kids >.> (I love the big at home family atmosphere)

Just do what you want to with your life and don't be pressured into anything.

With love
    -TheGuardian

3. cameron23

In my opinion, it is your life and you have to do what makes you happy. Plain and simple. Your parents are not the ones who have to live your life, so why should you make a choice based on whether or not they will approve when you are the one who is going to have to live with the consequences? ( I learned that the hard way my first year in college when I based my program choice off what would make my parents proud and didn't choose what I was truly passionate about)

Society's dictation of a woman marrying a man, popping out a few kids, raising a family, being a good mom/wife is a very difficult image for parents to get out of their head. It's what they were raised with, it's what their parents were raised with, their parent's parents and so forth. It is a deeply ingrained traditional view of what a woman's life/role should be. I think some of us who discover that we will go against that norm/tradition sometimes have a hard time to get that image out of heads, and so maybe your mom is just having a tough time with that too. In the future, maybe someday she will come to see that yes, it IS different, it goes against " the norm" but it is what will make you happy.
    It's okay to feel confused too, don't put too much pressure on yourself about sorting out all your thoughts running through your head. Things will turn out all right, and you will find what makes you happy.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Indie419

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you guarding! Me too, i want kids too! :slight_smile: i love children and have been told that ill be a great mom, your right, don't let others pressure me, your so right, i care so much and want my family to accept me for who i am and not what they want, yeah its possible i am a lesbian too, im learning more and more about myself. Just want to be sure before i label myself. Thank you again guardian, you gave me hope and positivity!

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

Wow, thanks windfour! Well said! :slight_smile: i agree with you as well, the norm and traditions are way out of my norm, i am and always felt different and like a leader as well. Also am an outcasts and the first person in my family to go for my dreams and goals. I also think it would be awesome to have a family with two moms, i honor all families and perceptions of love. I will keep that in mind that its ok to feel the way i do right now, :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

Thank you so much again everyone! Truly makes me feel comfortable and at ease

5. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm happy to help in anyway. Similar to yourself I have no issue at all with two Husbands with children, I've always loved children. Also, similar to yourself, I'll be the first person on my mothers side of the family to graduate High School and attend college. My mother and grandmother both had to drop out, not quite sure about my great grandparents...

6. Indie419

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg! Like you too, my granni didnt go to college and mom didnt finish her last year of high school, and career center. my grandma wanted to do journalism and my mom dreamed of being a dentist. Thats wonderful guardian! Congrats on graduating and yes i think its nice either way to be two dads or two moms, a family should bebuilt on love.

7. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  8. Different

In a similar situation. You're not alone!

9. Indie419

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TheGuardian- :slight_smile:
    Different-thank you different! Its good to know im not alone!