1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The term "partner"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleGrey, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Waffles

When I hear "partner", I always seem to associate it with the feeling of a business or corporation. Like, if two companies get together, they now have a partnership. The term just kind of feels too detached and distant, making (in my opinion) it seem like they're not much of a person as they are a thing.

When I date a guy, I don't want to make him feel like a thing, thus I'll call him "my boyfriend" and when I get married "my husband". But to each their own. ^^;

2. Siarad

If people, of any sexuality, get married - then 'husband' or 'wife' seems appropriate.

But what about couples, of whatever sexuality, who do not want to get married but want to make it clear that they consider themselves in a permanent relationship?

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't like the term partner either sounds way to formal I like girlfriend or lover sometimes i even say my baby .

4. Tohru-Chan

Honestly I don't like the term partner and I don't use it. I've had it happen where I mention my girlfriend and someone has 'corrected' me by saying "partner" and I don't like it at all.

I don't have anything against other people using it, though. I just don't use it myself.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have nothing against partner, in fact, before I saw this topic, I didn't even know people had issues with it. I think it's a wonderful term to use if you're dating a non-binary person.

6. Silver Sparrow

Partner, to me, feels stilted. It also feels like it is setting aside same gender couples. I'd much rather refer to someone as my significant other, wife/husband, girl/boyfriend, or better half (like NPH).

7. treeofleaves

i think boyfriend or girlfriend at first, but when it gets really serious and if marriage isnt legal, then iw ould use partner

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't really have a problem with "partner", I just don't use it. I say boyfriend or girlfriend, but who knows, that might change when I'm older. Also, if I want to keep it gender neutral, I say "significant other" and act like I'm really fancy.

9. EvilRegal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Long-term relationship, I say partner. If I was dating I would say girlfriend. But if it's a long-term relationship girlfriend/boyfriend just sound like something someone under 25 or 30 would say. To me it also doesn't convey the permanence of my relationship if I just say "girlfriend." To me partner sounds much more permanent. If I was legally married to my partner I would say wife.

#49 EvilRegal, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  10. rocketgirl1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I take the Neil Patrick Harris approach. Which is quoted by Neil " I’d also like to call him my husband. I’m not the biggest fan of the word “partner”: It either means that we run a business together or we’re cowboys. “Boyfriend” seems fleeting, like maybe we met two weeks ago. I’ve been saying “better half” for as long as I’ve been able to. I think it’s a little self-deprecating and clearly defines that we’re in a relationship, but it would be nice to say “my husband." In my case I'll say girlfriend.

11. apostrophied

It's a discrete way of letting people know that your spouse has the same body parts as you do. People who need to know will pick up on it, and those who don't/shouldn't won't lol (or maybe they will, oh well, can't win).

Mind you, my Australian friend referred to a male teacher's wife as "partner," without the whole gay connotation attached. I had to explain to him that here, when one says "partner," the enlightened among us assume that we're talking about a same-sex partner lol. So I think it might depend on where you live.

12. DrkRayne

At the moment I use partner because we arent legally married, she are "engaged" in the eyes of the state, but we exchanged rings already, but she isnt my wife legally and is much more than my girlfriend. We can't legally marry right now.

Partner is all i have left to use.

13. Nikky DoUrden

For me "partner" sounds a bit distant, as others said before, so I don't know if I would use that term when the time comes.

14. Aldrick

Partner / Spouse for legal and professional dealings.

Boyfriend / Fiancé / Husband for every day conversation.

In other words, the same terms I'd use for any straight couple, exactly as I'd use them. I dislike it when straight people refer to gay relationships as "life partners" or whatever other nonsense that is used, but then they'd refer to straight couples with different terms. It implies, linguistically, that we're either different, unequal, or both. I want my relationships to be viewed on an equal level with any relationship between straight people.

As a result, I believe it's important to always use the same terms for everyone.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never liked partner, because it makes us sound like we're in a law firm, as opposed to a loving relationship...sounds too dry, too cold and businesslike.

Around some friends, I use boyfriend, around others, I use mate, which I prefer, as it reminds me of a 'mate' as in a friend you hang out with, and also, being a furry, of a 'mate' that you, well...you know! Though oddly, for all our mating, we've produced no offspring.

16. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting how these terms are culturally defined. In the UK most gay couples in long-term relationships refer to their "partner" and many straight couples in long-term relationships who are not married use the same term. I didn't realise there was such an issue with the term elsewhere.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I rarely ever hear anyone say 'partner' so I guess it sounds weird to me. Plus 'partner' has many meanings and it does not necessarily mean you're together, so people might misunderstand. So I'd go with girlfriend.

18. AmiBee

After college, I referred to my wife as my partner. In college, she was my girlfriend. We've been married for almost 10 years now. I refer to her as my wife, but she likes to call me her spouse.

19. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I don't like partner sounds more like friends then a loving relationship I would use boyfriend

20. AKTodd

I almost always call him my partner while he sometimes calls me his partner and sometimes his other half. The terms just sort of evolved with us without any discussion.

We're kicking around getting married in a year or two, at which point I suppose we'll need to adjust terms, but will worry about that when the time comes.

Incidentally, my straight, female boss refers to her man as her partner as well. I believe she's got him (or has had him) on the company insurance since they cover both same and opposite sex DPs.

I've used 'boyfriend' in the past when in a previous LTR. Again, it just kind of worked out that way.

Todd