I might be bipolar...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by staychill, Jan 9, 2014.

1. staychill

staychill Guest

So, about a week ago I was in the car with my dad and we were talking and having an overall good time, and then I got really frustrated for some stupid reason randomly. I don't really remember what it was, but I got a bit upset for a few mins, and then I kind of calmed down. After I was calm, my dad asked me if I thought I was bipolar, because we were having a good time and then I got pissed off. I told him that I didn't think I was, but now I'm starting to question that. This happens fairly often, although I typically try to internalize my frustrations, I will occasionally get clearly upset. And sometimes random things that my friends do really annoy the shit out of me. Should I talk to someone about this? It's kind of embarrassing, and I'm really concerned about what people think about me. I often feel like people are against me, and I frequently feel like my teachers and other people who somewhat care about me want to see me fail. I used to have much more intense mood changes to where I had to see a psychiatrist, but I haven't been there in about three years. I used to occasionally inflict harm on myself and I had suicidal thoughts occasionally, but I haven't felt that way in a while, so I haven't returned to the psych. So, should I tell my parents about this?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wondering the same thing. I have those kind of manic and depressed moments like that, and I randomly get annoyed by things as well. I'm wondering if it's bipolar or just teenage mood swings. Sorry that I couldn't help that much. :/

3. apostrophied

No no no, that isn't bipolar, I assure you. Being happy, then pissed then happy again over a short period of time? Not bipolar. You'd be experiencing much stronger mood changes, over much longer periods (days, weeks). You're most likely just fine, though a bit moody. Definitely do not hesitate to talk to someone if you feel the need to. If you feel you can talk to your parents, by all means go for it.

4. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I disagree. You're 17 and, like me, still in your teens. Hormones are raging throughout you.

Furthermore, if you're interested in an ethical debate on the medicalization of deviance look up Thomas Szasz. Essentially, he feels that labeling someone attracts attention to them and differentiates them from a normal. Additionally, that medicalizing deviance (schizophrenia, bi-polar, etc.) causes more "medicalized" deviance.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

5. AlexTheBlogger

Hi, staychill.

You are definitely not bipolar. Quick mood changes are symptoms of boderline personality disorder or, simply, action of hormones.
    I think you should talk with a professional about that, since you and us can't do a diagnosis.

Good luck!

6. apostrophied

That's like saying, "Headaches are a symptom of brain cancer."

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.)There are varying degrees of bipolar.

Most "True" bipolar is a HUGE swing in mood and behavior.

One second you could be deeply depressed. Have a "leaden" motion, that is you move very slow or sleep a lot. The next day you could be irritable or have "racing thoughts" where your brain won't stop. Or you could feel like you own the world and engage in risky behavior like driving fast or having a lot of unprotected sex.

Then there are less obtrusive forms of bipolar that masquerade as depression which rarely show as manic phases.

I personally have a mild to moderate case of bipolar diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I have some of the symptoms I described however I lean more toward the depressive side. However with medication (blocking gaba receptors instead of dopamine or serotonin) I found the medication that works for me. I don't fly off the handle like I used to nor do I go into major depressive phases.

True bipolar in a less severe case can be easily treated such that you don't have it.

Your depressive suicidal phases make me wonder. I would keep going to therapy and even have a medical professional inform your parents if you give consent.

Again I'm not a medical professional so dont take what I say as gospel, but I have experience and I would suggest that you find out if only for your peace of mind.

I do agree with labels exacerbating the situation but there is concrete proof medication DOES work if the diagnosis is legit.

Again I almost feel guilty telling you this, and hope you don't think I'm trying to convince you you have bipolar but people start to exhibit signs around 18 to 22, which is when I was diagnosed.

If you really felt suicidal do NOT give up on psychiatry, especially if you feel well now. It's knowing you feel good but more importantly staying that way. I went off medication and thought I was awesome. Then I crashed and burned.

No... If it did work before, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

8. itsonlyrelative

Hold up

Please do not use someone's age as a reason to say they are not bipolar. Bipolar disorder, though predominantly diagnosed when people are in their twenties, can be diagnosed in while people are in their teens. Many people are hurt and feel frequently alienated because their feelings are falsely labeled as just "teenage angst".

However, coming from a bipolar II person, the situation that you described does not indicate that you have bipolar tendencies. You just got irritable. That is totally normal. If you are getting frequently irritable, then you may want to talk to someone because you may find that you are becoming more and more hostile towards people, but you probably aren't bipolar.

Either way you should talk to somebody if you are feeling down or suicidal, sometimes talking to a psychiatrist about these things really helps you process. It has benefited me a lot in the past. It may also help your parents understand your irritability and help your communication with them.

Bipolar is frequently misunderstood as up and down mood swings of happiness and sadness and that's not what it is. Bipolar disorder is between mania and depression and there are different types of bipolar disorder.

#8 itsonlyrelative, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014