Theistic belief

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 9, 2014.

?

What are you?

1. Monotheist

16.7%
  2. Polytheist

4.4%
  3. Atheist

41.1%
  4. Agnostic

28.9%
  5. Deist

5.6%
  6. Pantheist

5.6%
  7. Ignostic

7.8%
  8. Apatheist

8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agnostic.

2. bitheway7

As mentioned in my intro thread, I recently left the Mormon church. Since I now believe the Book of Mormon is not true, so how can I trust the bible? If Mormon Jesus let me down so badly, there must not be any other god or higher being either. The same thinking that got me out, I now critically apply to all the other religions. I wish I could believe in a god, but Mormonism fucked it all up for me. I don't know if I can ever enjoy religion again.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess that agnostic, apatheist, and atheist would all fit me.
    It would be cool if all gods from every religion were real, however.
    What's that? You've got 2 religions that conflict with each other?
    Who cares? Rule of Cool, people!

EDIT: Wait, I could multi-vote? Darn.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist mixed with a bit of Apatheist and Ignostic qualities.

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a Pantheist,but not by the books,I believe that god is the law of physics,therefore he is everything and everywhere... of sorts...

I think that God is to us the unexplained,and to find "god" we must reach the boundaries of sciences to uncover him... God is the part of science not known to date.

If you still don't get it,think of AVATAR (the movie),you know their god is in everything?But on earth he dosen't "manifest" with colored lights.

#25 Zam, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Techno Kid

I use the term agnostic atheist. :slight_smile:

Here's a good definition I found of it:
    A person who holds the view that the existence of a deity cannot be proven nor disproven, but personally leans towards the idea of there not being one. In this case, agnostic is an adjective.

7. AKTodd

Atheist.

No god(s), no afterlife, no purpose, meaning or value to existence except what we choose to give it.

Todd

8. Saint Otaku

I couldn't become an atheist because then I'd feel obliged to follow existentialism like this, and I loathe existentialism. I prefer the stretched torture of Absurdity.

9. biggayguy

I believe God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. They are three persons but one God. It's something you can't figure out logically. You take it on faith.

10. i like rain

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i guess i would be an Apatheist though if there is a god i doubt it would be a kind deity. i kinda blame final fantasy 13 trilogy for this one though.

11. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If I was really prodded for a reasoned answer I'd probably go with ignostic or post-theist.
    Many people that I hear talking about G-d I find to be very unclear about what they actually mean, however the concept of G-d that I think they have of is one that I consider to be obselete.

But when it comes to my day to day life I'm really an apatheist; I am sooo far beyond giving a fuck.

12. Hexagon

I find ignosticism raises some very good points, which I tend to agree with. Honestly, the concept of god has never made sense to me, even as a child, which is probably why I became an atheist so quickly.

In regards to my pantheistic tendencies, they're really more symbolic than theological. I don't believe in any conscious universe or anything, but that life, particularly conscious life is part of the universe. (Well duh). And that we don't have the right to adapt our environment to such a degree as we tend to.

13. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, sort of. I don't think it comes to a matter of it being a "right" per se but simply that for every action there is going to be a reaction. Therefore, we can theoretically do whatever we want as a species but we shouldn't complain when the inevitable consequences happen.

14. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Polytheist - as I believe each religion's God exists (though some are the same.) I actually had a miniature debate with myself over that - if so many religion's Gods are all the same, then that would make me a monotheist. But then after factoring in things like Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, et al I figured it best to go with polytheist.

I think each religion bears it's own God(s), and it isn't up to me to prove of disprove their existence. :slight_smile:

15. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually voted for ignostic, but I read it's definition wrong, so I'm not that.

I'm not really sure. I believe in the Christian God, but I don't necessarily believe it's one "God". I think Theism is just us humans trying to put a definition on God when we don't exactly know what God is. It's why I confused myself with ignostic because I do believe that " all theological positions assume too much about the existence of god", but I don't think the "question of god doesn't make sense". It's more like "the question of god doesn't have an 'Earthly' answer."

So yeah, I honestly don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. lol

16. Foxface

polytheist = pagan

like Beware I practice Buddhist style meditation

Foxface

17. Incognito10

I am an atheist because I haven't heard any argument for a god or gods that makes it past any scientific filter to a degree to make it plausible. However, despite being atheist, I do draw on some of the fringe beliefs or principles from various religions such as buddhism peace messages, taoism acceptance, or Jesus' love teachings of love.

18. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Oops, voted for the wrong choice... Wahtever...

Im monotheistic but A-religous...

I believe in God, and i believe he is benevolent, all knowing, etc... But i dont embrace any religion, cause none of them has conviced me of being 'the true faith' i mean, one thing is believing in God, but i dont get how can you be so sure about what God likes or what he doesnt.... Like 'oh God wants us to sing like a Cock every day while wearing red Pijamas... Or...thou shall eat potato only when the moon is in the sky... Or eating <insert some random food> is a sin.

The only thing i assume is that if God is benevolent , the only rule is dont damage others, help each other.

Another thing is im more inclined to believing in God, but i still have a little doubt, like a 5% of doubt.

Oh i dontbelieve in hell, i believe in some sort of rencarnation system.

19. sugarcubeigloo

I describe my religious outlook at "not applicable."

20. EatYourRikkios

Polytheist/Pantheist mix.

I personally believe that creation and creator are one and the same, with deities being akin to thought forms given meaning and/or power through the belief people have in them. I believe they are extensions of reality, individual and unique, but at the same time part of a singular whole.

So, no all-powerful deities in my personal viewpoint, just lots of ways to view the same world we live in. *shrugs*