1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who was the first person you told.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cass, Jan 7, 2014.

1. toffee96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well it seems I'm in the minority here, but rather than a friend I told my mom first. We then immediately went downstairs and told my dad, since my mom (understandably) didn't want to keep this secret from him. Fast forward four months and I told one friend. That's where I stand now.

I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything but I would say that you shouldnt rush your coming out process. I was pretty much sure by the spring of 9th grade and I didnt tell a soul until right before 11th grade began, and that was a somewhat quick turnaround.

2. BlackSwan

My guy best friend while we were chating about relationships :icon_bigg Told him that I would prefer to date a girl

3. therunner

therunner Guest

My bestfriend at the time, i was actually really in love with him :/

4. FishMan27

Woo hoo! Another Badger! :smilewave

I came out to my parents first. I have a really strong relationship with them, and I knew they would be accepting. I think that really is key.

5. Skov

The first person I told was my ex girlfriend who is now and was then one of my best friends. It went really well. I knew she'd be supportive

6. knysna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This! Looking back, I bet she guessed how I felt as soon as I told her :eusa_doh:

7. ChainsrGone

The first person I told was a close friend and coworker of mine. Her support and acceptance made it easier to come out to others.

8. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to a close friend.. I understood that this was a real test of our friendship. She ended up glomping me and telling me everything's going to be okay. So from me to you.. everything's going to be ok. C:

9. blond

My older sister but she kinda had to drag it out of me. It was like i couldn't say "i'm gay" to her until she said are you gay? And i didn't say anything and then she hugged me, it was like she just knew. She said i am her brother and it didn't matter and that she loved me.

So long story short, she was very accepting and is very supportive.
    I love her so much! I don't know what i would without her.

10. TB8

TB8

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    the first person i came out to was my guy friend because he kept asking me if i liked this girl and i deny it so many times until we started texting and i told him i was lesbian and he said that he knew already (*hug*)

11. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I told my mom, but I kinda have to tell her again because she questioned me the first time around but this time I have a better idea of what I want to say.

12. Niko

The first person I ever told was my online friend...we actually came out as trans together. :lol:

First person I came out to in real life, was a guy friend at the time. I was having a really bad dysphoria day...and we were texting, one thing led to the next and I spilt the beans. He took it really well, and asked the usual questions, but after that it went back to normal. Though we don't talk anymore, for other reasons.

13. bunni

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My best friend in the whole world. I almost passed out though I knew she would be cool with it. She even offered to help me come out to my dad. :slight_smile:

14. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is actually a tricky question. The first person I told was my mom. However, she told me to make sure that I am actually and undoubtedly gay. We didn't even mention it again until about 6 months later on a cruise ship (great way to go about vacation, huh?) and I, being the scared 15 year old I was, ran straight back in the closet and locked the door. She bought the whole, "It was just a phase" line.

The first person I came out to was my closest girl friend (who incidentally had a crush on me. Whoops). She was so supportive and told me all the wonderful gay things in life. Whenever I accidentally check a guy out, I seem to always see her smiling at me. It brought us closer together. She is the first and only person I outed myself to so far.