1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

life in australia

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by markosss, Jan 6, 2014.

1. markosss

Hello everybody! Im not sure if this is the right place for this post. is australia gay friendly? I know that same sex marriage is not legal but is there any kind of unions?(basically I want to know about sydney) is it tolerant? Can a gay couple live peacefull without discrimination? Is there a lot hate crime????

2. Louie1

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nothing sexier than an Australian accent on a guy. Unsure why there are any straights in Australia.:kiss:

4. J9ah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi there I'm Australian, from Sydney, and while marraige legislation has been out of step with much of the Anglosphere, the ground level- that is the attitude of people is very accepting. In fact as a whole I find OZ to be far more accepting than the USA and much of western Europe to be honest!

5. tscott

Wish I were there now...1st generation Yank...my family is Scottish...my grandfather owned property at one time in Australia...but my grandmother's brother went to the States...so that was that...much need for English teachers?

6. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    The link was very useful but I think the overall feeling in Australia has become more accepting in the last 20 years and maybe a lot more accepting in the last 2 years.

One of the states tried to legislate same sex marriages which then got thrown out but the overriding feeling is that same sex marriage will happen, maybe in the next 10 years or so.

Another interesting point is that the sister of the current prime minister has come out as a lesbian, she was married and is now in a relationship with another woman, so a few people are thinking that the prime minister is dragging his feet on making it legal, but I think his tone is that he is just following the party line, but he grew up religious and so e may never change his mind. One of the leaders of the minor parties was openly gay.

So anyone around 40 don't really care, those under 30 don't care at all, its only those over 50 who probably have a problem with it, but if any of those over 50s have had a friend or relative who have come out then they will be even more supportive than those younger people in there 30s.

And Sydney is probably the most gay friendly city in Australia.

I will have to get my account upgraded and get your details, and chat to you on skype.

7. J9ah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd also like to add, a serving judge in our high court ( highest court in the commonwealth) was openly gay for the last ten years of his tenure in addition to our finance minister in the last government. Sydney has mentioned before is very accepting and the gay community is deeply imbedded and socially mobile in the city. Of course not all parts of the country are equal and I can imagine far north QLD and even parts of Outer Sydney not being very gay friendly but we just don't seem to have the same levels of hate and vitriol you hear from the US far right in Australia, to be sure we too have religious nutters but they are fewer and farther between than the states and their lobby group is small. Australia can be strange in that in many examples the attitude of the people changes way before the legislation. I don't think out arttitudes are that far removed from the Canadian or Swedish views on homosexuality but legislatively we are on another page. I'm not exactly sure why that is.
    Personally I'm in my mid 20's being LGB is not a problem, and I don't have ANY freinds who would have a problem with it, the conversation has just moved way past that in people our age group, especially in Sydney!! You noticed I missed the T, as I don't personally know any transsexuals so I can't speak on their behalf but thee is some visibility in Sydney which does still have a strong drag culture. In fact on of my former university profs was a post op transsexual, no one seemed to have too much problem with it.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 02:58 AM ----------

Sorry I forgot to add a current sitting justice in our high court is openly lesbian.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Just a note...

There are conservative gays just as there are conservatives in all minority groups.

Conservative does not equate to self hate, bigotry, racism, sexism or whatever else stereotyping may be tossed at a group.

For goodness sake we should know this being LGBT and suffering profound stereotyping.

The issue is dogma. When people stop thinking and adhere to dogma (other people's thinking) to feel like they belong to satisfy the human social bonding needs, that is the underlying issue.

What you are saying to me is Sydney is open minded and thinking, rejecting dogma while the north has aligned with unthinking dogma. The North is lazy intellectually?

The issue is dogma. Look at me... Raised Catholic the most dogmatic of religions yet I reject the dogma and remain free thinking. So easy to be dogmatic and gain social acceptance by being intellectually lazy (less work).

Adherence to dogma to attain social praise is the issue while abandoning free thinking.

Dogmatic; : a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted: a belief or set of beliefs that is taught by a religious organization

Praise seeking, lazy, unthinking people are the issue. They come in all ilks.

#8 skiff, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. J9ah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi there I actually never used the word " conservative" in any of my responses. I do find words like "conservative" just rhetoric anyways. What do you mean? Do you mean economically conservative in the Keynesian sense or socially conservative, in which case one might be against legislating against the death penalty, or advocating for gay marriage. Yes in that sense I would have a problem with a social conservative, as it does not align with my value system. I would also have a problem with an economic conservative too for much the same reason. "Dogma", " conservative " are all heavily biased and loaded terms, it's rather a circular argument wouldn't you say?

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 05:18 AM ----------

Yeah I just called Keynes a conservative!!!
    This is why Keynes Was Really A Conservative - Forbes, he makes some good pints.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 05:19 AM ----------

I also did it to kind of prove my point :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 05:23 AM ----------

Ps. Also don't think just because Sydney is accepting, it is not "dogmatic". It can be very status driven, has uber wealthy enclaves that have an obsession with real estate and Botox and can resemble LA at times.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought I read right-wing somewhere.

Your point is taken.

11. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds nice. Sort of wish I could live there. You have no idea how much hassle I've been getting at work lately. Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of "Jesus died for your sins" and "The devil tried to get me to kill my baby". It's called a psychoic break from not sleeping because you just had a kid, breeder. The law might say I have rights, but my job sure doesn't think so.

12. EvilRegal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it great here. It may not be legal for me to marry my partner but I have had no problems with anyone ever giving me shit about it and I work in male dominated field. Yet when it comes out I'm a lesbian none have had issue with it, or if they have they have kept their mouths shut. But I am not afraid to kiss my partner in public or hold her hand.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rules are different worldwide for females. Most places EXPECT females to be more emotionally open, sharing and caring. I am no sexist just an observation of societal norms.

And if rules are tighter for gays than lesbians they are far tighter for the transgendered exponentially.

Wish it were no so...

#13 skiff, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  14. EvilRegal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, lesbians do seem to have it easier in the acceptance area, at least sometimes. Depends who you are around I think. At least gay men don't have people thinking all they need is a good fuck from a woman though to turn straight which is what many straight men think about lesbians. It is so annoying and frustrating! And of course completely disrespectful.

I also think lesbians can be more easily accepted because straight men do like the idea of lesbians, at least the majority do. And straight women usually just ignore it if they don't like it. Of course there are exceptions.

Oops, guess sort of off topic, sorry.